Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1530 times)

Floodtide

« on: October 13, 2011, 12:49:46 am »

I picked my username from the books above my laptop by Clive Cussler. I am getting closer to retirement age and want to get back into boat models. I have a few hulls to work with but have lacked zip. reading about other people's work encourages me and I would like to be helpful. My occupation is electronics. I lived mostly in Maine with a short stint in Connecticut working on Submarines in Groton. I had enough cold, dark, wet weather for two lifetimes so I moved to Gulf Breeze in 1999. What a killer spot. White sand beaches and warm water to float in until your skin wrinkles. Saw a manatee a month ago close in to the beach and I thought it might be a shark so I nearly walked on water to get back to the beach. I like photography, have a small home machine shop, have too much junk, like metal detecting but have yet to find enough to pay for a change of batteries. Have seen my share of UFO's and got some pictures and videos of lights I cannot explain. They haven't offered to give me a ride but I would go in a flash if I had the chance. The motherboard i n this laptop may crash at any moment so i better post this now as I will never remember it again.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:54:57 am »

Welcome aboard Floodtide, you will enjoy this forum, lots of good people on here to help you along, so get cracking & have fun. I will bet you will not know where your time went. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:59:08 am »

your life sounds idylic, floodtide, and glad to hear od at least one other Clive Cussler fan....

I had some correspondence going with him some years ago about his models and the two none fiction books that he wrote about wreck hunting....a very dry humoured chap with a few pranks up his sleeve.........I like his collection of rare cars as well, lol

better get writing some gung ho grunge lol.

enjoy the voyage, and take care in those shark infested seas. %% %% %% %%

neil.

dave301bounty

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »

Are you near Pensa cola ,spent some time there ,nice place to be ,good coast line

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

I got a speeding ticket near Penscola when on my way to the World  Karting Championships in Jacksonville  in 1986, never paid it. I am sure they would lock me up if I ever went back there.LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »

Now those places bring back some memories.
I used to sail from and around:
Panama City Beach
Pensacola
Mayport
Jacksonville
Even spent 2 weeks in Norfolk/Portsmouth Virginia.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »

The only thing better than 2 weeks in Norfolk VA

Is ONE week  :-))  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »

Srewth , the Gulf Ports ,Jacksonville ,I had great times around there ,even spent two weeks on the hook off key west ,waiting for orders ,what a life ..

Floodtide

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:29 am »

Thank you all, I am encouraged. Pensacola is just across 3 mile bridge coming out of the world renowned Live Oaks speed trap. Naval Air Station Pensacola has a fantastic air museum. The Air Force has a nice museum up outside of Fort Walton Beach with an SR71 Blackbird you can walk right up to and touch.

Pensacola is the oldest settlement in the US and is also called the city of five flags for the five countries which took turns occupying. The city is building a new Marine park-museum, if anything like the air museum it will be world class.

And just down the road to Alabama is the battleship park with another SR71 and a submarine, I think a diesel boat.

While in Maine I worked for the District Court for a spell, a Canadian driver who had a speeding ticket 40 years previous was stopped on his way through town. They dug out his court summons and the paper was faded like an old war document. I got called in to set the poor buggers bail. Seems the law doesn't forget.

I have done some speed boating on the waters here but no sailing. Lots of shallow water until you get out into the gulf a bit. My friend the boat captain pilots his bosses catamaran around Florida waters. It is a big one good enough for deep water sailing. He has some remarkable stories.

From reports of hauling anchors the oil from the BP spill is laying on the bottom and makes quite the mess when retrieving anchor and line.

The weekend is here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.