Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: hannahs hms ark royal  (Read 46535 times)

zanussi

Re: hannahs hms ark royal
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 05:14:46 pm »

That is some chunk of ship! Mind if I ask what width ply you used for the planking? I have only used balsa up to now but want to try ply on my next project as it will be sailed by a rather ham fisted young boy!

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 08:56:26 pm »

hi zanussi and welcome to the forum we used 1/16 birch ply for the planking cut using a stanley knife and a steel straight edge. the bow and stern are made from 1/4 ply built solid bread and butter style for some extra strength. the hull turned upside down on the floor is strong enough to hold hannahs weight so it will take quite a bit of abuse and i think it will!!! ;D ;D ;D
we will have some more pics posted soon as the ark has been put on hold for a few weeks, i have been busy sorting the paintwork on my day van and me and hannah have been building springer tugs ready for the mayhem weekend.

mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

zanussi

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2007, 08:35:13 pm »

Thanks for that, I may have to try 2mm (5/64) as I cannot seem to locate any 1.5mm (1/16) in my area (Barnsley S.Yorks).

Know what you mean about things getting in the way of these builds: work, home, sleep, just makes it hard!

I think it fantastic the way you have got Hannah into the hobby, I am trying to get my youngest into it, seen here examining the prototype Fairmile Type D we will be building in 1/24 this summer (had not realised just how big that was until we cut the keel last night!) The only building my eldest ever showed interest in was the pile of unwashed clothes in his bedroom, yet now he has joined the army as an aircraft fitter! Must be me!

Will follow Hannah's build with great interest, I am hoping to do the follow on ship if I ever finish my current projects, she appeared in the TV series "Sailor" when I was a kid and it had a profound effect on my life.

swordfish fairey

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:03 pm »

Hi Hannah, keep up the good work and I hope you had a very happy birthday....I work on a Swordfish that wears 1939 Ark Royal Markings. do you plan to have Swordfish on board??...........Tony

hiapita

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2007, 09:12:23 am »

Hello Tony, I am planning to put a flight of Swordfish on the deck and hopefully I will be able to get the props turning on a few, but it won't be for a little while yet!!
Lovely picture of the Swordfish by the way.

Hannah.

COOP

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2007, 01:09:51 am »

Hi Hannah
Ark Royal is looking good. I Have lots of plans if your interested, at the moment just completing a county class destroyer, rescued from a skip. This is a great hobby and you have a great dad Keep up the good work.Also as many contributors have said ,take care and happy modelling

hiapita

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »

Hello everyone, I have been busy cutting big holes in my hull today ;D ;D. I think it will be a long job as I have got to do about 50 of them, (I am not sure how many as every time I count them I end up with a diferent number!!)
My dad did do a bit when my hands got tired.

Hannah, Springer champion. :D ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2007, 07:53:18 pm »

Not too many holes, Hannah.  Look what happened to me.   ;D

Seriously though, are these the portholes?  Will you be glazing them ?  I have been looking for 'Cockpit glue' as I understand this doesn't leave stains on the windows.  I can't find any in the local shops.

Might trip over to Cwmbran tommorrow, Mark, What sort of times are there people about with boats.  I thought I might bring the scruffy springer for another game of football.   :D :D

Er indoors wants to go hypermarket browsing, so might not be able to stay too long.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

hiapita

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2007, 08:21:49 pm »

Hello Ken, no they are not portholes, they are cut outs in the side of the hull for ships boats ect I have not tried to count the portholes yet!!!. We will be going to Cwmbran tomorrow if its not raining!! 10am to 1 pm

PSSHIPS

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2007, 10:37:59 pm »

Very nice guys, looking forward to it completed.
 Little Hanna, sterling work, that is what model building is all about!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2007, 11:37:56 am »

Hannah,
She is looking VERY good, glad to see your dad doing a LITTLE bit!  :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2007, 06:08:33 pm »

Hello, Hannah.
Thought you may be interested in these 3 pics.
1. HMS "Hermes" taken off the Cape of Good Hope in 1967(8?).
2. HMS "Triumph" before she was converted to a maintenance/repair ship.
3. HMS "Victorious" taken (I believe) during her sea trials. So she and your "Ark" must be around the same age? Could be wrong, but perhaps some of the details may be of assistance.
Notes from a simple seaman

hiapita

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2007, 08:16:09 pm »

Hello Bryan, are you a mind reader, I was thinking when my Ark Royal is finished I might have a bash at HMS Victorious at the same scale. I like aircraft carriers I think it will be a while yet. I would like a fleet of them!! ;D ;D

Hannah, springer champion. ;D

zanussi

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2007, 02:15:55 pm »

The post war Ark and Vicky kept leap frogging each other in major refits, Vicky at one point was stripped down to her lower hull, have some photos of her in dock with her whole engines and boilers open to the air, both changed appearances drastically during their lives, there is a lot to choose from, but for me it would be interesting to build Vicky, Hermes or Eagle just to model that monster 968 radar! Awesome to think they were supposed to actually carry two each!

When I joined up Ark was our only operational fixed wing carrier, but where we drilled on the parade ground in basic training we had a superb view of Eagle anchored out in the Hoe, slowly rusting away, the only aircraft flying off her belonging to the local model aircraft clubs. Personally I doubt this country will ever operate a fixed wing carrier again, except by enthusiasts such as ourselves of course.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2007, 06:00:44 pm »

Dear Zanussi,

Interesting re what you say re carriers, because it's true. The reason being that carriers, like the earlier pre-WW2 big gun battleships, are in most operational cirmumstances becoming obsolete due to changing technologies and strategy. Big ships cost big money, not only to build but - as we all know - to operate and maintain (and update). As I said before, exactly the same thing happend to the big gun fast battleships and heavy cruisers, and their demise was caused by aircraft and aircraft carriers (the Pacific War and the Battle of Midway in particular proved how effective aircraft carriers were in destroying big ships. Now the table has turned again, and aircraft carriers can be replaced by long range aircraft and helicopters carried on much smaller vessels - let alone long range ship to ship missiles etc., etc., etc.. Carriers in a theatre of war now need just as much (if not more), support craft as the big gun battleships of WW2 (anti submarine vessels and aircraft, submarine support - usually at least one but sometimes two - anti aircraft vessels with a vast array of missiles etc.). The only time carriers could be of use now is as floating bases for large land operations, however, as with any country who can keep such an item, they are cutting back naval budgets as there other cheaper alternatives to these costly items. A carrier caught flat footed these days could be dispensed with, and what a disaster that would be; thus why there is so much backup support for them. I suppose it could be said these days that submarines are the capital ships of today... a countries defence and attack capability is really based on how many of these they have, and world standing and 'prestige' is judged this way also (again similarly in many ways as battleships pre WW2). After all, one submarine these days could do more damage more quickly and cheaper, than 20 aircraft carriers and their backup fleet - and not be noticed anywhere near as much. Anyway, just observations.

Regards, Bernard2

p.s. Well done Hannah, your superb Ark Royal is coming on beautifully!!!

spoons

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2007, 08:06:18 pm »

Wow That is an impressive build, alot braver than me i will stick to my fibreglass hulls i think. You should be very proud of your work especially at such a young age.
stu

swordfish fairey

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2007, 05:27:12 pm »

Hi Hannah, found these in a drawer at work yesterday, thought they maybe of some use to you............Keep up the good work...........Tony

cdsc123

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2007, 10:57:41 am »

Hi Hannah, my dad sailed on her in the Med so I've saved a few nice photos of her too, here they are (you can't have too many reference photos when scratchbuilding I find);

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2007, 11:05:19 am »

Theres only one Christian ;D
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cdsc123

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 11:09:51 am »

They're too big to put more than one per post, at the moment I'm having a problem as they are not correctly formatted. I keep getting the message "You can only post pictures of these types...", but the photos are all j-pegs so should be OK. I'll figure out a way, during coffe breaks, so hopefully by this evening I'll have put about half a dozen nice pictures here. In fact I'll try e-mailing them to you to post, keep an eye out for'em.

cdsc123

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 01:03:09 pm »

More;

cdsc123

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 01:12:05 pm »

Right, it seems we're in business;

cdsc123

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »

And more;

cdsc123

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2007, 01:18:35 pm »

Another;

cdsc123

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2007, 01:21:01 pm »

Still more;
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.