Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small lathes  (Read 6160 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
small lathes
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:03 am »

Hello all , I was just wondering if anyone on mayhem owns a Hafco AL-320g lathe , I have just killed my seig c2 and I am considering upgrading to the hafco unit.
A general google search brings up a lot of retailers but not much actual feedback which im thinking is probably a good thing , so if anyone owns one it would be good to hear.

Floodtide

Re: small lathes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »

Here is a link to Harbor Freight Tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=lathe&hft_adv=10062&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=lathe&utm_campaign=Garage%20%26%20Shop%20-%20Stationary%20Tools%20-%20Phrase

I have the 9x20 geared lathe, and I previously owned the 8x12 precision lathe.

The 8x12 looks similar to your Seig C2, I dismantled the cross slide on mine and smoothed out the rough cuttings then tightened up the lead screws and it made an awesome improvement. I sold it and moved up to the 9x20, not as nice as the Halfco you are looking at. I did not think the tiny little cord they call a belt would last in my 9x20 but so far it has endured. I found the 9x20 to be quite tight but I changed the tool post holder to a quick change type so I could quickly change tooling precisely. I had to take the cross slide apart to mount the cross slide in a mill to bore and tap for the huge mounting screw.   I would recommend it for the lathe you are considering. If you go for the Halfco, I envy you, should do about anything you could dream about.

Good luck, hope this is helpful

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »

I own a Hafco AL50 lathe, and it is an excellent unit. I bought mine about 5 years ago from Hare and Forbes in Brisbane and have had no trouble with it.

A link to H & F's web site here https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Bench-Lathes

I notice that the AL30 is also listed as a Sieg C2.

Peter.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:58:39 am »

Hi floodtide, I have looked at a lot of lathes over the past 6 months, it seems to me most come from the same factory in China. My advice would be to buy the bigest one you can afford as size is a big factor in lathes, you also get better quality & more options. Mine is a Craftex 10x18 & works well, no complaints. There are several others that are identical with different names & paint. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:51 am »

ordered the hafco al-320g today (joy) but wont be back in stock untill end of november, now I just need to work out where to put it.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »

That is one nice small lathe you have ordered, it will supply you with hours of fun. You will be able to make a lot of your own parts on it, enjoy. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:03 am »

its now 2.55 and the truck turns up at 3.00, the excitement builds

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:14 am »

Hi mermod, you will be like a submarine for a week , you won't even come up for air. ENJOY. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:54:33 am »

Still setting up the new lathe but I have a bit of a question.
It came with a centre that obviously fits into the tailstock, thats nothing new, my old one had a similar arrangement but with a chuck for holding drill bits etc, but this lathe has also been supplied with a HUGE centre with a HUGE morse taper, I think my tailstock is a No3 (will check tomorrow) but this other huge one seems to have no place on this machine, one of my friends that helped carry the machine in thinks it could be used to prevent ones sphincter from protruding due to carrying such a stupidly heavy object but I'm not so sure, I will try and get a picture up tomorrow (of the large centre only).
any lathe users know what it is for?

pettyofficernick

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:14:44 pm »

Is it the centre for the headstock? They are usually bigger than the tailstock centre.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »

If it's a rotating centre, it could be a tube centre.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »

Hi Mermod, Nick is right it is a centre for the head stock , see you are learning already, Mick B.
Mick B.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »

Used when turning between centres, you will also need a catch plate and a driving dog to use it.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:27 am »

just googled catch plate and driving dog and I think I now understand, so its used in an alternative type of chuck for more accuracy to find its centre, is that correct?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:04 am »

Thats it mermod :-)) ...another name for a catch plate is a face plate  O0

1. think of a piece of black bar  :embarrassed: rough peeled surface & oversize on diameter
2. center both ends of the bar
3. install the face plate to the headstock + install the fixed center to the headstock
3. install a live center [if available] to the tailstock
4. install the length of black bar between centers
5. secure the drive dog around the bar in the dead center in the headstock & align the right angled finger of the drive dog in a convenient hole or slot in the face plate * BINGO

In theory you can now machine the diameter of the black bar..........remove from the lathe for whatever reason..........return it to the lathe & becauset it is returned to 'between centers' the accuracy is only governed by the accuracy of the headstock bearings...... :embarrassed:
You also have the advantage of machining the full length of the bar stock between centers without end for ending in a chucked condition which means the dial indicator setup each time for ZERO runout %)

Mind you..... it has been many years since my mechanical apprenticeship  {-) ...but some things never really change .......... :-)) ......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:05:45 am »

Hi Derek , I just learned from you how to set up the bar between centres, I did not know,now I do , thanks. Mick B. PS= I just got a 10x18 lathe a month or so ago. It's a steep learning curve. 
Mick B.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 10:34:32 am »

Also handy for turning tapers if you have a set over tailstock., A bit of maths involved but by far the best way to do long tapers. :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.