Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signal Flags  (Read 3279 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Signal Flags
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:37:34 am »

Hi
 This question is for those ex signallers who might be able to help with signal flags worn by RN warships. To add interest and some colour to my Type 42 which is nearly finished, I want to display signal flags on the halliards. The call sign for HMS Newcastle was GQIH, if this was displayed, what would it look like? The pennant number D87, would this be worn and if so how would that look? I would also like to have the ‘Naval Right Of Way’ signal displayed but again do not know what flags represents the signal or what halliard they should be worn on..
I do have some photos of warships wearing signal flags but they do not seem to represent what I thought they should be, I know substitute flags are used and that numbers also have different flags,very confusing.
Many thanks….

17-09     (Alan)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Signal Flags
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:54 pm »

PM Pugwash aka Geoff.
He was a Yeoman of Signals in the RN.
He will give you the answers you need.
Tell him Ned from the Raving J told you
to contact him.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:49:01 am »

I would also like to have the ‘Naval Right Of Way’ signal displayed but again do not know what flags represents the signal

This signal is normally in the form of the 4.5/5" big bang thingy on the focsle of most warships.

Also reminds me of this oldie but a goodie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQqyeWBZrLQ

"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:22 am »

Hi Ned, Antipodes,
Don't know what went wrong with my reply, try again. Miniature type face Removed..  ken

Thank you Ned for the info, I will contact him.
Antipodes....Thank you for your reply, I agree that the gun will be the best right of way signal.
 Thanks for the video, I have seen it before and it is a classic.
Interesting to see that the USS Montana has turned into a Type 42 Destroyer. How observant am I ?
regards   17-09   (Alan)

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:40 am »

Hi, below is a pic of our Glyn Guest build of the Paladin which is a model of what the Type 24s might have looked like. It was named after HMS Troubridge, a Type 15 T class conversion.

On the starboard (senior) yard is the Royal Ensign and the NZ national courtesy flag (the model sails in NZ waters so only fitting)

On the port yard is the call sign MDSQ. Also visible is signal flag Lima, in this case meaning "Stop immediately, I intend to board you".

KiwiCachers

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:46 am »

Hi Antipodes,
 Thanks for that, nice to see it visually on your model, I understand the stop immediately from the code but where does the "I Intend to board you" come from?
Many thanks   Alan.....17-09

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Signal Flag Lima
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:28:11 pm »

Good question Alan,

I am pretty certain I have seen the whole phrase before, but for the life of me can't find any written confirmation. It is certainly a phrase I have heard over the radio. Perhaps too much television involved.

We have just had ANZAC commemorations here and in conjunction with the 75th anniversary of the RNZN there was an hour long documentarty of HMNZS Te Kaha's six month deployment to Gallipoli and drug interdiction duties off the horn of Africa. I'm pretty sure the skippers of the dhows that were told to stop were not getting invited to the wardroom for canapés. <*<

Bruce

KiwiCachers

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:59:54 am »

Hi Bruce,
 Thanks again, this subject has had a bit of interest, Pugwash has told me the signal is for the Naval /Military guardship's use but he has not seen it used recently. He was an RN signalman on HMS Juno. My cousin lives in Fendalton Christchurch, looks like it's just up the road but is probably miles away.
Thanks again.. Alan..

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 06:56:03 pm »

Hi 17-09, International code signals are not used much now due to VHF radios and other digital coms equipment, but in its day International code flags were flown proceeded by the code pennant. International hoists could be up to I believe 7 flags, myself I only found books up to 5 flags, you went to the index which list the pages for your type of signal, to complicate matters more the RN had it's own set of flags and similar hoist system to the international flags for use between warships, still seen today such as when entering harbour denoting which side she is berthing etc.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 09:35:30 pm »

Hi Dodes,
 Thanks for your reply, I still have not hoisted any signal on my type 42 due mainly to the reasons you have stated, It is better not to do anything just in case I get it wrong, it was just a way of adding a bit of colour and to promote some discussion as to what the signal means when the model is on display. As you say, the RN have their own system.         RIP the RMAS!
 cheers  17-09
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.