Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scharnhorst - Colours  (Read 5145 times)

Scribe

Scharnhorst - Colours
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:02 am »

There are many photos and prints of her in her final disruptive pattern scheme, but info as to the colours seems lacking. Most references mention White, light grey, medium grey and dark grey.
Some info is now coming to light about them being white, and a selection of blues or blue greens........any definitive answers anywhere?

TIA :-))

T888

Re: Scharnhorst - Colours
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »

Hi, I'm just about to build a 1:128 scale Scharnhorst, I've found this web site very helpful. If you join the forum there's a guy who knows alot about German ship colours

http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/index.html

richtea

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »

Alan,
Take a look on WHITE ENSIGN MODELS site there is a page entitled;
CAMOUFLAGE SCHEMES & COLOURS.
Two thirds down the page you will find Scharnhorst with two references for her final  camouflage scheme.
Regards
Richard

PS From experience I can recommend their paints,
which Scharnhorst are you building, and what scale ?

Scribe

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:04:23 am »

Thanks Guys, have already got these sites and was just trying to see if there was any info concerning the 'blues'.
We are camouflaging the Graupner Premium 1-150th boat to its 'final' scheme.....

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:40:22 am »

If its of any interest/help maybe you could look at my 1/200 Sharnhorst complete build for a client recently on my site Portfolio section www.johnrhaynes.com

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

A great job John - its hard to believe this is 1/200 scale there is so much detail.

Geoff

Scribe

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

Great Model John, but it does not show the Disruptive Pattern Camo which is what we are after. We have the usual shots of the patterns she had throughout her life, in colour, which appear to be variations of white & grey, we will be doing the 'final' as sunk version, but want to be accurate as to the colours..... :-))

http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scharnhorst/paint_schemes/pictures/1943/paint_sh_1943_m_sizilien_ostfront_port.jpg

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »

There is a  Scharnhorst Super Drawing 3D  Kagero by Mariusz Motyka that shows the colour sceme at the time of sinking . If you do not have this book which is a MUST if scratch building then I can scan to an e-mail address ?

T888

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:30:59 pm »

One word of caution about this fine 3D book is, it states this scheme was up until he was sunk, however Warship Pictorial Vol 36 has picture of her in early Dec-43 with a different scheme.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:29:05 pm »

I have a 1/128 Scharnhorst, and she has what I think looks like a pale blue/green hull to the waterline, her turret tops are dark German grey, and she carries 2 x ariel recog flags ..fore and aft, I,ve seen some whereby there is only 1 x swastika, on her bow, then there are some with 2, the one i have has wooden decks up to the fore anchors,altogether, i,ve seen 3 different colour schemes,

Boathound

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:07 pm »

Don't rely to much on those Kagero 3D books without looking at photographs. Those books have a few little errors for example Sharnhorst is shown with a black funnel cap- never seen a photo of her with such a thing. Also Admirals bridge is wrong, it is shown symmetrical on both sides, it wasn't- there were three windows on the starboard side extending all the way to the bridge wing while the port side had only 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.