Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diana, a sort of Huntress  (Read 6581 times)

GG

Diana, a sort of Huntress
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:34 pm »

Had a go a building a small model based on the Fairey Huntress design.  As it is only some 14 inches long some care was needed to keep the weight down.  In the end a Graupner Multispeed 380 was used.  Perhaps a little extravagant but in reality its cost was little more than separate motor, gears, shaft and prop would have come to.  As for energy, I opted to use the high capacity AA cells which allowed the total weight to be around 19 ounces.
The result is a fast, way over scale speed, model that has safe handling. Well safe unless you suddenly apply full rudder at top speed when it can heel over too far and drop onto its side.  This is more spectacular than anything as cutting the power and reapplying power has you safely shooting off again. The first runs were using six cells and I thought that reducing to five cells might avoid this idiosyncrasy, but no, it still does it.
Now I know it can happen it is no problem to keep full power for straight runs and wide sweeping turns.  For tighter turns I now automatically back off the power first.
Is this a characteristic of an admittedly over driven deep V type of hull?
Glynn Guest

Flying Sparks

Re: Diana, a sort of Huntress
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:47 am »

Glyn

Interesting reading about your Huntress. My Precedent 34" Huntsman deep V has similar characteristics, I have to back off the power on the turns or she rolls on her side and the prop comes out of the water. My Huntsman is powered by a small "540" size brushless outrunner and 4s Lipo, great fun.

Are you going to publish your Huntress? I would like to build a small companion for my Huntsman.

Phil.

GG

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »

Phil,
    Sorry to hear that you have had similar problems with your model but, in a way, glad as it suggests that it is a characteristic of these hulls.
Yes, plans drawn up, text written and awaiting proofreading, just a few more photos to take then its in the post to Model Boats.
Glynn Guest

Flying Sparks

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »

Glyn

I will keep a look out for Diana's plans.

Thanks for sharing :-))

Phil.

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 02:00:48 pm »

think this is a model fault with huntsman models on a single shaft , ive had two of them , my first being the 46" version with a webra 61 glow motor in it ,full throttle turns & the boat is almost on its side , another bristol pegasus member had the same boat that did exactly the same thing , he tried  inreaseing the spray rail width by a few inches each side but as i recall it had little effect !  of course full sized huntsman are twin screw with contra rotating 3 bladed props , they also have the shafts & rudders much further aft than most modellers fit them ! .  im currently biulding a 3ft fairey spear that will have the shafts / rudders in there correct locations so we can see if this improves the handleing ? it will also be brushless electric powered ! 

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:01 pm »

its prop and shaft positioning that counts look at this 42" model belonging to red181

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VzprATn0M

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »

Easy; don't try to turn at full throttle. Don't you slow down for corners when you're driving a car? These aren't flat-Vee fast electrics that shoot around at Mach 1 and corner at 90 degrees like demented pond-skaters on speed. They were designed to go very quickly in a straight line in rough seas, and they did it supremely well.
It's not just horses  for courses, chaps.
FLJ

GG

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »

Now then Mr Jacket, if you had read the first two posts then you would know that what you suggest is exactly the technique that Phil and I use with our models.  I discovered it whilst "pushing the envelope" to find the limits of a new model.  This is something I always do before considering drawing up a plan for possible publication. It also seems sensible to warn potential builders if the model has any characteristics that might take them by surprise.
As for driving a car, when conditions are suitable, I always try to accelerate around corners.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

Certainly did, Mr G - but my reply was more to Triumphjon, whose subsequent post seemed to imply a design fault. Just upholding your honour, sir (and mine.......)!
BTW I hope you don't accelerate INTO corners.
FLJ

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:16 pm »

no flj not implying a design fault , merly that in my experience of this boat  useing a single shaft & ic power cornering at full or near full throttle they like to lean rather well !  as for driveing my car its normal to accelerate out of corners , but then i also own a proper rwd with manual overdrive gearbox !

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:54:57 pm »

not many of us driving rear wheel drive cars these days.

Peter

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »

thats true , but its nearly as old as i am and british too !

GG

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 10:38:25 am »

Took advantage of the good weather to get some sailing photographs.  Using a five cell battery and limiting the power to give about half top speed, it was possible to set the rudder trim to a wide circle, put the transmitter down and pick up the camera.  Even then I had to be careful as the wind caused the circling model to drift towards the canal side!
The amount of heel is clear in these photographs, looks a little "hairy" but is infact quite safe.  It has turned out to be a nice little (14 inches long) model to chase larger models with.
GlynnG

Pale Horse

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 02:44:50 pm »

Beautiful boat!  I'm looking forward to take a closer look on this plans. 

Another thing, I have seen the Norwegian flag often in the Model Boat Magazine lately.  The Trygve Braarud research ship (who has it's home harbor about 1 km from my home), the Snøgg patrol boat, the Noggsund, and now this little gem.  As I'm a Norwegian I'm a little flattered (people from small countries often are when someone remember that they exist...), but I'm a little curios about why we get this attention.

A little detail, but i had to mention it.  The blue line in the Norwegian should be twice as thick as the white one, so the flag on 'Diana' has a little to much blue.

Tore from Oslo

Prophet

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:00 pm »

v type hulls tend to 'lean' on turns regardless of how many prop's or location or engine type, I'm currently building a 46" huntsman with the props in the correct position along with the rudder
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25150.0

the trick it how far to allow it to lean to make a turn i find that with any v type hull that a lean should clearly not force water over the deck, but it should take water up half way the last section, this is more for scale speed and steering obviously 2 props will change the lean so it dose not look so dramatic but with a 14" model what you have is clearly the best you can get and needless to say weldone on a great build, any Fairly build is a good build  :-)) have you any construction photos? I'm sure many of us would love to see the build I'm always intrested in peoples build styles and techniques as well as infomation you used to get your boat finished 

triumphjon

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »

having seen a model spearfish running on twin 600 motors a couple of weekends ago it definatly doesnt lean anywhere near as much as they do on a single shaft ! have you restarted your biuld yet prophet ? ,

Prophet

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

lol thats a question and a half.. not yet weekend I'm planking and rusting the springer that gloss blue ain't my style, it needs rust and lots of it! mind you i did tear off the prop supports i made in preparation for the brass supports I'm making  :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »

i hope you took them of carefully so as not to damage anything else ! hoping to get back to my fantome shortly , ive got a patrol boat hugging my biuld table being fitted out , im now making the gun rotate !

Prophet

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:24 pm »

sliced epoxy off with a stanly knife then a tack hammer to knock the wood off no damage but this is my usual trick to removing temporary supports

Pale Horse

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

I've build one of these together with my 6-year old daughter, and have two more coming up for my nephews in the same age.  The first one had it's maiden trip last weekend, and wow! this little gem is fast!  at half speed i had control, but when giving more throttle made the little hull lean over to starboard and i had to cut the power to avoid a capsize.  

I will try a smaller prop and hope that that will help. i've skipped the spray strips and I now see that it was a mistake.  If you take a look on the picture of my boat and compare to Glynn Guest' prototype you can see that the spray strips is doing an important job.  After the test drive with quite big waves it was water on the cabin roof and inside the cockpit.  Since the superstructure is only fastened with some tape, i got some water inside as well.

next step is to add railings, hand rails on the cabin roof, lights and other details.  And when i get a more modest speed on the boat, I can learn the six-years-old some racing tricks :)

aslo44

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »

Hi gg, I bought a club500 on ebay a while ago and cut a long story short it was a mess
when I got it through the post. It was all in pieces and looked as tho the deck had been
cut with fork, with splits and bits boken off. The hull, esc and motor were about the
only things worth using so I did similar to you. I made a new deck and cabin in the same
vane as the fairey boats but not a replica.You can see the results in the photos,it isn't
finished yet though. I tried it on the water a couple of weeks ago and it went like
lightning and I'm looking forward to sailing it tomorrow as Iv'e made it more watertight
and added a bit of wieght to it.Regards Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.