The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project

(1/22) > >>

Peter C:
This is my build of HMS Hood by the Hachette magazine, As this will be my first build shared on a forum, I will be closely following the other builds on Partwork Models Forum for any advice and tips.

The first magazine cost the grand total of 50p, which contained 1 keel section and 2 hull frames with deck supports and spacers, the step by step instructions are excellent especially for beginers to follow.

The lazer cut parts are excellant and accurately cut to within less than 1mm tollerence between mating parts, because there is no vertical keel to keep things straight, a base board bigger than the finished ship was aquired, a line was drawn down the centre and finally covered with cling film to stop the parts being glued to the board.

A centreline was drawn down the keel before they were cut free with a knife, working from both sides to aviod damaging the plywood, the first keel was lined up on the base board and fixed down with pins.

The 2 hull frames were prepared as the instructions stated, a centreline marked at the base to line through with the centreline on the keel, the contact areas were lightly sanded to remove the black marks before being glued to the keel making sure they were vertical.

The model as supplied with part 1, more to follow soon

Regards

Peter

Martin (Admin):

Hi Peter,

What are your plans for the build?

As per instructions?
 Modify as your own preferences?
 Fit RC?

Peter C:
Hi Martin

Plan to build her as supplied by Hachette, but will definitely be R/C ( ships need to be seen in their own environment), it depends on how much room in the hull, I would like to see the turrets turn and smoke from the funnels as well.

Regards

Peter

Edward Pinniger:
I'll be very interested to see this progress, and to see how this partwork compares to the previous Bismarck one. The RN battlecruisers (Hood, Repulse and Renown) have always been my favourite WW2 capital ships (one day I might build a R/C model of one myself!)

Peter C:
Hi Edward

You can't get much easier ships to build than Hachette, their instructions are step by step, showing how each part fits together.

Did you finish your Cutty Sark? I was following your build because I have a Billings Cutty Sark which I want to sail as well.

Regards

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version