Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project  (Read 160555 times)

Peter C

Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »

This is my build of HMS Hood by the Hachette magazine, As this will be my first build shared on a forum, I will be closely following the other builds on Partwork Models Forum for any advice and tips.

The first magazine cost the grand total of 50p, which contained 1 keel section and 2 hull frames with deck supports and spacers, the step by step instructions are excellent especially for beginers to follow.

The lazer cut parts are excellant and accurately cut to within less than 1mm tollerence between mating parts, because there is no vertical keel to keep things straight, a base board bigger than the finished ship was aquired, a line was drawn down the centre and finally covered with cling film to stop the parts being glued to the board.

A centreline was drawn down the keel before they were cut free with a knife, working from both sides to aviod damaging the plywood, the first keel was lined up on the base board and fixed down with pins.

The 2 hull frames were prepared as the instructions stated, a centreline marked at the base to line through with the centreline on the keel, the contact areas were lightly sanded to remove the black marks before being glued to the keel making sure they were vertical.

The model as supplied with part 1, more to follow soon

Regards

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:38:03 pm »

Hi Peter,

What are your plans for the build?

As per instructions?
 Modify as your own preferences?
 Fit RC?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter C

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:15:40 pm »

Hi Martin

Plan to build her as supplied by Hachette, but will definitely be R/C ( ships need to be seen in their own environment), it depends on how much room in the hull, I would like to see the turrets turn and smoke from the funnels as well.

Regards

Peter

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:45:08 pm »

I'll be very interested to see this progress, and to see how this partwork compares to the previous Bismarck one. The RN battlecruisers (Hood, Repulse and Renown) have always been my favourite WW2 capital ships (one day I might build a R/C model of one myself!)

Peter C

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:13 pm »

Hi Edward

You can't get much easier ships to build than Hachette, their instructions are step by step, showing how each part fits together.

Did you finish your Cutty Sark? I was following your build because I have a Billings Cutty Sark which I want to sail as well.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:02 pm »

With issue 2 I received the second keel section, 2 hull frames and spacers, 2 deck beams, 2 side frames and 2 10 x 5mm struts, the centrelines were marked on the appropriate pieces and added to the model as photo.

The deck beams are loose as instructed, the side frames will not been glued  until after the internal hull has been made waterproof.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »

Issue 3 consisted of 2 hull frames and spacers, 2 deck beams and the third keel section, centrelines marked and glued to the model as photos.

The model is now 540mm long, and starting to look like a ship, no problems in assembly just needed to sand the ends of the deck beams to give a sliding fit.

Regards

Peter

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

You can't get much easier ships to build than Hachette, their instructions are step by step, showing how each part fits together.

I was very impressed by the quality of the fittings and etched parts in the Hachette Bismarck, but am not really keen on the "partwork" idea and definitely not keen on using the "plank-on-bulkhead" construction method for a relatively small-scale model of a steel-hulled ship (though I appreciate there isn't really any other way a 4-5ft long ship model can be sold as a partwork!)

However, I might well end up buying a part-built Hood on eBay eventually (especially if I can find one with a built hull) if any turn up - there have been loads of Bismarck partworks on there over the last year or two, some surprisingly cheap.

Did you finish your Cutty Sark? I was following your build because I have a Billings Cutty Sark which I want to sail as well.

Still haven't finished it unfortunately  {:-{ as I really wasn't happy with how it sailed (due to using cheap RTR radio gear, which I don't do any more !) and it got overtaken by other projects. I still can't decide whether to build it as a working sailing model, or just refit it with decent radio and a working rudder. I'm definitely inclined towards the latter, as otherwise I'd have to fit a removable fin keel; apart from anything else, I'm not sure the hull and keel (never intended to float, and full of holes when I originally got it!) will stand up to the stress of a fin keel, even without ballast.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

"not really keen on the "partwork" idea and definitely not keen on using the "plank-on-bulkhead" construction method for a relatively small-scale model of a steel-hulled ship (though I appreciate there isn't really any other way a 4-5ft long ship model can be sold as a partwork!)"

Now that's a very interesting comment Ed! I too hated the whole hull construction method and pondered various other ways of making a 50 inch hull in partwork form. I thought about full height sections (keel to deck) styrene hull sliced up down the length of the hull, say about 2" / 50mm long. Each section would be 'rebated' (?) 5-10mm, so the next section glues in 'tongue 'n groove style'.

... actually, maybe it would to too big a job trying to keep the whole thing straight!  {:-{

BTW: Don't worry Peter, we'll separate out these "comments" posts into an accompanying topic so as not distract too much from your build.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:06:46 pm »

Hello Peter c, Ive also subscribed to the Hood, although Im not starting to build mine untill I recieve most of the keel parts. This will be my first partworks model.
I intend to R/C mine, as you say, a ship needs to be in its "natural enviroment!"
I'll be watching your build with great interest

all the best
Les

Peter C

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »

Hi Les

Just remember to secure the keel to a flat baseboard before planking the sides, this will keep it straight and look up the 'Partworks Model Forum' for hints and tips on building the Hood, as I will.

Hi Edward

I will stick with plank on frame hulls especially when working indoors, also most tools can be found in a simple household tool kit, but there again I work for a Joinery company.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »

Issue 4 consisted of 2 hull frames and spacers, 2 deck beams, 2 deck struts and 4 side rails.

everything attached as previous, side frames and deck beams left loose for fixing later.

Regards

Peter

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »

Hello Peter, Im also signed up on the partworks forum, just checked my account on Hatchette and looks like my next delivery will be any day now :-))

regards
Les

Peter C

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »

Hi Les

congratulations on joining the Hood builders, the flat keel is completed in the 6th issue, it should be a beautifull ship when completed, I missed out on the Bismarck but may buy it after completing the Hood.

Issue 5 consisted of the final stern flat keel, 2 hull frame and spacers and 2 deck beams, deck beam 16A is very fragile due to the cutouts for the motors, I treated it gently until i could attach the crossbars in issue 7, but still managed to break 1 side when glueing the spacers in place.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »

Issue 6 consisted of the final bow flat keel plate, 1 vertical bow keel with support plates, 1 stern deck beam and 2 stern support bars, these were added to the framework.

Bow Photo

Stern Photo

The joints were a bit loose so I used folded paper to pack them out.

You can see the fragile nature of deck beam 16A in the photo, by glueing the support bars in place has strengthened the joint, but will still need to be carefull with it until the deck is glued on.

Regards

Peter

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »

Certainly looking good Peter. How many issues will you need to complete the Model ? Keep up the good work Dan.

Peter C

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:55 am »

Hi Dan

The total build is 140 issues, I will collect issue 9 tomorrow. :-)

Issue 1                             =     £0.50
Issue 2                             =     £3.99
!ssues 3-140 @ £5.99 each = £826.62
Total cost                          = £831.11

allowing £ 250.00 for R/C it will cost just under £ 1100.00

some people say that you could buy a completed model for less, but I enjoy building them, its easier to hide the total cost from 'er indoors and as the model clubs I belong to display at local shows, I can honestly say to the general public 'Yes I built it'

Regards

Peter

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:48 am »

Hi Peter, I totally agree with you. Yes they are a lot, but over the period of time taken to get them, you don't really miss the money as you would £1100.00.
I would like to have a go myself, but I've never done a plank on frame kit, & would be worried, maybe get a cheaper one to practice on first  O0 O0
Keep up the good work & carry on posting, I'm watching & reading with gusto  :-)) :-))
Cheers Dan.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »

Guys...... :o I think we all understand the methodoligity of gluing part A to part B  is simple O0....but must agree with Dan.Lord.....that producing a POF [plank on frame] hull needs practice  >:-o  <:(  & experience   O0........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

What are the other series of articles included in the magazine Peter?

The long Build

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:17 pm »

Guys...... :o I think we all understand the methodoligity of gluing part A to part B  is simple O0....but must agree with Dan.Lord.....that producing a POF [plank on frame] hull needs practice  >:-o  <:(  & experience   O0........Derek

Yes but with these mag series is Part A always to Part B ?.

CF-FZG

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:25 pm »

And what better way to learn than by doing a small part each week.  If it follows the method they used on the Bismarck, you start with the 'easy' sides, and progress slowly to the 'harder' areas like the bottom, stem and stern - followed by a good sanding session and then repeat with the outer layer of planks.

After all - even the experts had to start somewhere %%

Mark.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:14 pm »

And what better way to learn than by doing a small part each week.  If it follows the method they used on the Bismarck, you start with the 'easy' sides, and progress slowly to the 'harder' areas like the bottom, stem and stern - followed by a good sanding session and then repeat with the outer layer of planks.

After all - even the experts had to start somewhere %%

Mark.

Exactly my thoughts, thats one reason I subscribed to the Hood myself, a few parts a month to play with, photographic instructions, plus a whole lot of help from fellow Mayhem'ers if needed, what more could you ask for?

Les

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:01:13 pm »

Yes, the step by step instructions are a good way to go, but the construction method is not like any other
 boat or kit you'll ever build, (short planks on bulkhead) ... unless it's another Hachette kit.

That's not meant as an observation, not a criticism.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »

I'm very interested to see how this build progresses. I'd like to give one of these ago one day. I'll wait to see what they bring out next Maybe the KG5  O0 O0
Even I could stretch to a fiver a week, just 2 less beers up the pub   <:(  Maybe not  %%
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.