Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project  (Read 160544 times)

Peter C

Re: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »

Hi Martin

The articles in the magazine are:-

'The Hood and its History', this details her development, construction and role she played during the interwar years, it also gives a sample of daily life on board for the sailors and officers.

'Modern Naval Warfare', this starts from 1850 when the first submarines were developed for warfare, through the development of battleships, naval aviation and early sea battles up to the modern navy.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »

Issue 7 and 8 completed the framework for the bow, issue 7 consisted of the vertical keel and the hull frames.

Issue 8 consisted of interlocking spacers.

once these horizontal spacers were fitted the vertical keel was solid with no flexing at all, I predrilled some holes to allow for sealing the internal side of the planks when fitted.

With the bow framework completed, only the stern needs completing before starting the planking :-)

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »

Issue 9 consisted of the stern vertical keel up to the rudder and hull frames, I have not glued the middle hull frames until I sort out the propshafts and motors.

Looking at the formers, I presume Hachette will only have the outer propellers working, I want all 4 working.

I am thinking of using 4 Graupner Speed 400 motors with 25mm dia brass propellers, any comments would be apreciated as this is my first ship with more than 1 propeller.

I will be attending the International Model Boat Show on Friday 11th and hope to get some advice about the electrics there.

Regards

Peter

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 08:58:42 pm »

Speed 400s will create a speedboat even 2 let alone 4! I'd use a 280 or 385 size motor.
Jim

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:11 am »

looking good, is the hull plank on frame , like the Bismarck build....if so get in touch with Miskin for clamps before everyone else does.

Robert

Peter C

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:09 am »

Hi tr7v8

Thanks for the advice, will probably use 385 size motors.

Hi Robert

Yes it's a plank on frame build, I find using notice board push pins work just as well, plus they are cheaper to buy, but if I have any problems with the planks, I will get a set.

I picked up issue 10 last Friday which contained the support side rails and servo control support piece for the stern, the support side rails have been glued together and dry fitted to the stern framework.

Here are 2 overall views of the model,

Overhead view from the stern

Side view

Regards

Peter

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 01:40:51 pm »

Just a thought but could the short planking be replaced in part or more by buying decent lenght planking?S Surely this would make for less sanding and finicking about.John.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 04:16:46 am »

....nice work bench Peter...me and the hounds have been banished with the boats to our new basement, well ok 1880, we just found out, but it will do, apparently if I remove the triangular walled bit in the corner, I'll have more room, its concealing an old water cistern, may keep it in case of a drought...

Peter C

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »

I had a brilliant day at the boat show last Friday, the models were fantastic, I will be proud if my model turns out half as good as the other Hood's on display.

I got everything I needed from the trade stands for the Hood, motors, couplings and propeller shafts so I can now proceed with the stern, I also picked up issue 11 this morning, which contains more parts for the stern.

The model is sitting on a spare table at the work at the moment, so I have to be carefull I don't damage it, the other staff are amazed at how fast its proceeding and can't wait to see it finished, I keep telling them its a 3 year project.

I will post more photos as soon as I sort out the motor positions.

Regards

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

Hi Peter,
 Do you have much experience with motor , coupling, shaft alignment etc?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter C

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 05:55:37 pm »

Hi Martin

Only what I have read, that is to keep everything in line for the least resistance and to make sure the shaft is greased before using.

Regards

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »

Light oil for testing!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »

PETER C   Nice work.  the family purchased the first parts for me at Xmas.  have not started yet.

notice you said you have all you need motors shaft's props,   can you tell me what you purchased and what sizes please
I will only have the outer shafts working.

following your build with great intrest

Mick

dave301bounty

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

there are a group of us doing this build ,and keeping up todate is quite important ,we all slipped back over the holiday time ,and did we have to put a lot of thought into claiming things back to ready .it is a very well made job ,really seen some good work coming out .

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »

Hi there,
   I too am collecting the parts for this model.My latest pack came this morning,with a free gift of a zipped pouch containing jewellers screwdrivers,and some screwdriver bits and handle.I couldn't move the zip,and spent half an hour rubbing a lead pencil on the zip and slowly working it open,to get at the contents.the zip works better now but still not easy to open.The sections of the model though,look to be of a good quality,and nicely printed.
 I have at least up to issue 12 now,and so far have resisted making a start on assembly.This is mainly due to the fact that I am already building a 1/96th scale scratchbuilt model of HMS RAMILLIES,which is over 6 feet long.Hood will be on the "backburner" for a long while yet!However,I am enjoying seeing your build,and see it all taking shape,so please keep posting,and good luck with her!
cheers,
Mick

wbeedie

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:37 am »

I have also opted for this build but only have issues 1-3 yetwhich all arrived today , but am not starting to build until I have at least 15 issues but have been watching this thread , hopefully learning about mistakes made by Hatchette and if any how they will be redone by the modellers here , I was also wondering about the motor and electrical side and anything else as I have never gone down tihis route before and info so far seems sparce in the magazine

Peter C

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11:03 am »

Happy New Year to all members watching this build.

Apologies for not posting lately, but as you probably know, it gets very busy leading up to Christmas and the build had to be put on one side so that the decorating, Christmas shopping and visits could take over.

The build can now progress which I will post the next installment later.

wbeedie / MCAT - parts 1-11 deal with the hull framework and parts 12-20 (latest issue) start the decking and superstructure, the motors and prop shafts were purchased from Howes models, the motors are Code 260-00 DC 18.0 V and the prop shafts are 27.9cm (11") - M4 stainless steel, they are temporary placed in position at the moment (I may need to replace the outer shafts for longer ones).

Regards

Peter

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

Thanks Peter.

looking forward to your up dates

Mick

wbeedie

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

Thankyou Peter,just the infi I was after at least I can start thinking about buying it now just to be ready

Peter C

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »

Part 11 contained the final parts for the stern and the small stern sub deck, this part was quite fiddly to do due to the small parts making up the stern section

This photo shows the internal motors placed in position, the plastic motor stands had to be reduced to get them closer together, just the outer shafts to fit into place now.

According to the issues received (I collected issue 20 this morning only 120 to go) , this completes the hull framework, the next issues start with the sub deck and superstructure.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:34 am »

With issue 12 we received the first part of the superstructure, this is positioned just behind B turret.

On the actual ship, this contained the following:-

Intelligence office, Gyro adjusting space, Electrical artificers daylight workshop. 2 off 5.5" guns to port and starboard and most importantly the cooks kitchen, bakery and bread drying room around the forward boiler room vents and funnel.

Regards

Peter

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »

Hi Peter, your builds coming along nicely. Like you I intend to have all four props working and with this in mind I drilled 2 Holes through frame 37 inboard of the 2 "notches" in which the outer shafts will fit, this is purely guess work on my part and if im wrong then I havent lost anything by drilling the holes.  :-))

A word of warning to anybody who has'nt started their build yet, make sure all your frames are set square to the keel, as i did'nt which led to a few problems.
see my build at  http://www.partworkmodels.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=2113 for details.

regards Les

Peter C

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »

Hi Les

I am following yours and other builds on the Partworks forum as well, it's where I get most of my inspiration from. Using the plans I brought from ebay, I have set my propshafts 17.5mm from the centreline to the inner shaft and 37.5mm to the outer shafts, this meant I had to adjust the inner motor brackets slightly, but nothing drastic.

With part 13 we received the bow deck and 1 deck support beam, not a lot to do, just glued the deck support beam in place and dry fitted the deck.

will post picture when camera is fixed

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:34 pm »

As promised, the picture of the bow

Issue 14 starts the superstructure at the stern, this area accommodated the Captain (lower deck area), the Admiral (upper deck area) with the officers cabins going forward up to the rear funnel.

Regards

Peter

Peter C

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 06:00:10 pm »

Issue 15 continued the work on the stern superstructure,

nothing difficult, just need to keep the walls square.

I collected issue 22 from the newsagents this morning, it contained the first batch of planking, looking forward to starting.

Regards

Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.