Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project  (Read 160596 times)

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battlecruiser HMS Hood - A Hachette Project
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »

Whats the general consensus regarding prop shafts and motors for this build as I dont want to go further than I am until I get these fitted

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

Hi Wbeedie

Its up to the builder on what they want to install, because of the narrowness of the hull, its been designed for the two outer shafts to be powered and te inner shafts running free, personally I have installed 4 M4 shafts with 280 motors, the two internal motors are fitted, I just need to fit the two outer motors, they need to be staggered and are taking up moor room than antisipated, still, there is time to change it if necessary.

Regards

Peter
Member of Chasewater Model Boat Club and Mid Wales Model Boat Club

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

This is my last post before the holiday with 'er indoors and the grandchildren.

Part 38 contained the final brass wall section to the Officers Quarters section, with the plywood packed out and the 3 final pieces glued in place this finished the first section of brasswork, I only need to fill the corner joints with 'green stuff' and file them smooth, then it will be ready for painting.

Not bad for the first attempt, still need to get my joints more tidy though, but that will come with practice.

I'm off to load the car now so I will be back in 3 weeks time with the next installment.

Regards

Peter

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

Thank you Peter what length is needed for the two powered ones am not going with the four as still a novice at this lark  lol Willie

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:51 pm »

Hi wbeedie

I have used 11" propshafts, the inner screws are perfect, but I may need to get longer propshafts for the outer screws, depending on where I can fit the motors, I will not be able to tell until I finish planking the hull.

Regards

Peter

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

Thanks for that Peter just the info I was after , got the offer in my last lot of mags for the drive gear but think it would work out cheaper buying seperately

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »

My previous post seems to have disappeared in the great Mayhem black hole never to see daylight again!  <:(

It was just a quick note to update the build after my recent holiday, I have now completed the first planking of the hull, although the instructions don't mention it, the planking will need to be sanded down before applying the second layer.

In the meantime, the brass etch parts have been slowly applied to their formers, photos will be posted soon.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:26 pm »

Part 38 continued with the shelter deck walls to the Wardroom / Admiral's galley / kitchens situated around the rear funnel casings.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

Part 39 completed the shelter deck internal walls around the rear funnel casing, these doors led to the Gunroom and the WO's galley and kitchen,

the walls haven't been glued to the main deck yet, there are still more fittings to be added plus the planked sub deck will be finished and glued down first.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:16 am »

Its been a long time since my last posting due to the model being put to one side for Christmas with the family and work required on other boats, when I have been able to work on the Hood I have been catching up with the planking of the hull.

The first layer has been sanded smooth and I have started to fix the second layer, these planks are being held in place with masking tape whilst the glue dries so that I don't get pin holes showing, so far I have fitted 5 rows of planks to each side allowing 1 row each side per session.

I will post pictures of the completed planking once it is finished.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

Part 40 concluded the walls to the shelter deck, these formed the rooms to the gunners urinals, Officer's quarters and store rooms, the frets also included some fire hose reel frames and a roll cotton for later use.

the walls didn't have anything to glue to, so I added scraps of plywood for support.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »

Issue 41 contained the 2 inner wall pieces for the shelter deck for later use, and some plywood spacer pieces for fitting to the underside of the sub-deck

these pieces were glued as stated in the instructions.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »

Issue 42 completed the external walls to the Admiral's and Captain's cabins.

The two plywood spacer pieces fitted previously appeared to be short of the edge, so I packed them out with scrap timber and sanded the bevel back for the ply panels to be glued to.

Regards

Peter

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:00 am »

Still following in the background Peter, as are many others I've no doubt, Looking good  - thanks for the log and please keep posting.
                     Regards, Tony. :-))

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:12 pm »

Hi Tony

Thanks for the note, I know others are following because the views are still rising, I collected issue 77 last week so I am about 35 issues behind at the moment.

Not much was done on the Hood since Christmas because of the cold weather and I was suffering from a viral infection for the past two months, I couldn't get motivated to do any work on it or anything else as a matter of fact, the cough was the worst part, once I started coughing I couldn't stop, it seemed to drain all the energy out of me.

Now much better, the build will continue and hopefully catch up on some of the issues. I want to try to complete the hull so I can sort out the electronics, but Hachette seem to have other ideas as we seem to  jump from one detail to another, nothing is completed fully and we end up with lots of parts in storage boxes awaiting final fixing.

I will confirm what I mean as I work through the issues, next installment by Friday.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2013, 06:33:10 pm »

Issue 43 & 44 consisted of the external rail elements to the shelter deck, each rail had a total of 34 brass etched parts to assemble, and some of them were quite small (will have to find my magnifying glass).

The instructions started by gluing the 4 main rail elements together, then adding the brackets, but the uprights fitted into a slot in the internal rail which would make it difficult to fit if I followed the instructions.

I first glued all the brackets to the internal rail, and then after sanding the mating sidesof the rails, they were finally glued together, this made the rail quite ridged.

The holes for the eye bolts were redrilled before they were glued to the outside face of the rails, these were the smallest parts to be fitted being about 2mm in size

The final job was to glue seven discs over the portholes on the inner wall of the shelter deck.

Part of the external wall was also included, but I have left this off until the upper deck pieces are ready to fit, the deck handrails are included on the etch and may get damaged if fitted now.

Regards

Peter

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »

Looking good Peter,
I too have found that some of these "buy/build in series collections are forever jumping from one section to another, instead of finishing one stage completely, so you can put it aside "complete". It does take a lot of effort to remember where you exactly "are" sometimes.
Keep up the fine work !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Jjdsplace

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »

Going to be good to see how this comes out ihave been collecting this but am holding off building it till I have all parts as when I built the titanic I had to keep waiting for parts

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:25 pm »

I have finally finished the second planking on the hull, the next stage will be filling, sanding and priming the outer surface, applying resin to the inner surface before installing the motors and shafts.

I wont apply the final paint until I receive the final parts that need to be fixed to the hull.

Just to show the size of the model, the worktop tiles are 150mm square.
Regards
Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2013, 11:34:40 pm »

Parts 45 & 46 contained the Port and Starboard external name walls to the Admiral and Captain cabin, because these also had the boat deck railings attached, I will fit them at a later date.

The instructions also required the fitting of the hose reel frames supplied in earlier issues, these were bent into shape and super glued into position, I used a small off cut of balsa clamped to the wall to get them level.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »

Parts 47 to 64 deals with the firepower of the ship, both main turrets and secondary guns, the instructions required them to be assembled, painted and stored until required.

I will assemble the guns when required for the build, usually when items are stored, they either get damaged or disappear because I have forgotten where they were put.

Regards

Peter

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »

With Part 65 we received the first part of the shelter decking which will be used later, and the plastic bow sections, we will now have the total length of the hull once fitted.

The two bow parts were tried together before glueing, and then glued to the hull with two part adhesive, the second planking at the base was a little smaller than the plastic, I will have to rectify this when I sand the hull.

The instructions also stated that the plywood plating could be fixed. On the Partworks forum, which I am following the Hood build, they noted that the recess formed by the plywood and the planking would be too deep compared to the original ship, so I have followed their builds and added the first planking over the hole before glueing the plywood plating in place. I just need to add a filling strip to the lower recess because it is still too deep.

This also includes the plywood plating fitted to the stern, which I will have to rectify later.

Regards

Peter

Jjdsplace

• Shipmate
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »

What site is the one you are following

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Jjdsplace

• Shipmate
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2014, 08:26:05 am »

Any updates
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.