Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a few plans  (Read 5740 times)

link43mk

a few plans
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »

i have put a few plans here. http://modelboatplans.servetown.com/   might be of some use can put them on disc if any one wants just mail me

Hal

Re: a few plans
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:27:38 pm »

These appear to be copied from plans that have been published in magazines.  Whats the betting that no permission has been obtained from the publishers or designers before offering to give away their work for free.  It makes me sick, have these people never heard of copyright?  I hope the magazines spot this and jump on him.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »

Seems to include Vic Smeed's classic Starlet among others.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:57 pm »

hi ya there, Ive noticed there is a plan that might interest Full Leather Jacket (the Fairy Swordsman and also Seaforth Conqueror) is this guy charging for these plans or are they freebies.

Because if free how does he stand with the copyright laws??

aye

john E

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:24:36 pm »

if the plans are given free by magazines, does that mean they are free of copyright??

Do the mags pay a coypright to the original draftsman or do they own copyright and then give away  ??? ??? ???

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:57:32 pm »

the plans are free all you have to do is join the site and run their thing ,once done you can download the plans in normal format and print them of to your own requirements  .there may be a problem (i dont know )with copywrite when downloading  but if you look on e-bay there are loads of plans there for sale which are freebys from the mag's , i have a pile of aeroplane plans in the shed which i have concidered putting on e-bay but if anyone wants them pm me and they are yours.

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04:07 pm »

Hi ya there

I thought about the ebay side of it.  However, under normal circumstances buying from someone on ebay you are dealing with maybe one or two plans.   The persons on ebay should not be photocopying and selling you reproductions of the original plan.   Even doing it this way, it still may infringe copyright laws - but I am unsure of these laws.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:10:38 pm »

I think you can assume that plans which are available from legitimate suppliers are under copyright and should not be sold or downloaded from other sources.

PSSHIPS

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:54:41 pm »

Its the same as this guy in Sunderland selling coppies or our hulls and also alot of everyone elses on Ebay, he is breaking the law, as for plans, this is a grey area, the origional copywright is or should belong to the draftsman, but, over the years when somebody has drawn a plan for something to better the hobby or what ever it is or was for, there was no need to worry, now there is!
 The Chinese modelling manufacturers for one deny, but, have either coppied stuff from all over including hulls and fittings and now sell them as their own product.
 This really upsets the origional person who may have took years of research to get things just about right.
 This goes for anyone else, or should. Don't make money off somebody elses back its imoral to say the least.
  Why do we in this country put up with these rules when we could copy anything and make it better ourselves, while people in other countries just do it and rip us all off. Not just people in other countries doing it, we got some pirates of our own in the UK. These guys need a seeing to.
 My 10P worth.
 Paul...

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:15:10 am »

The laws of copyright are complex. I spent the last twenty-odd years of my working life as a technical author, responsible for a major company's end-user documentation and I don't fully understand all of them!

Basically, anything that is published, either in hard copy or electronically, is the intellectual property of either the author or the company who has employed him to produce it. It does not matter how it is published, sold or given away - free in a magazine, as the instructions with a product or as part of a kit.

Any one who republishes it or reproduces it without the permission of the copyright owner, in any form, whether for sale or not, is guilty of breach of copyright. The only exceptions for this are for purposes of review or personal research. The resale or other disposal of the item is only allowed provided it has not been altered in any way.

Rick

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 06:52:58 am »

RickF has given a good summary of copyright law. There is also another offence of "passing off" i.e. providing something as your property or work which is, in fact, the property of someone else.

Sadly the explosion of copyright infringements is made possible by the advances in IT and digital technology. Most intellectual property owners never needed to worry about the odd copy of their work but today when copies can be reproduced by anyone, without effort and in very large numbers it is a real problem. As Paul says it is not only foreign rouges who create a problem.

In my time as a Trading Standards Officer I have seen just about anything someone could copy being copied in bulk and sold. Some things were dangerous.... a rip off of a famous disinfectant which had bugs growing IN IT!....car brake parts which disintegrated..."perfumes" that were caustic...toys with toxic parts or sharp points...you name it. We used to have so many tapes, CD's and jeans that we used to have huge bonfires.

I never had the time or resources to deal with decent quality copies of well known fashion items and felt that public money could be better spent protecting small traders who were damaged by the copying.

It is quite simple....don't copy to sell or distribute and if you see copying tell the copyright owner and let them sort it out.

Roger in France.

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:03:30 am »

Its the same as this guy in Sunderland selling coppies or our hulls and also alot of everyone elses on Ebay, he is breaking the law....

Paul...

Paul, you certainly have my sympathy, but have you tried to do anything about him? He was copying a few of my hulls as well, I managed to convince eBay that he was infringing my copyright, and they stopped him. It wasn't easy getting eBay on my side, but I managed it in the end, and now I have a fast track e-mail to them that will get offending ads pulled within a few hours. They take my word for it, ask the pirate for his version of events, and so far not one has been able to convince eBay that they were legitimate. Since 'Our friend in the north', I've stopped two or three other pirates as well, and I've swapped a few e-mails with Jackie at Slipway on this very subject. Roger in France is quite correct, copying other peoples' intellectual property is just too easy, but manufacturers, designers etc have to fight it. If the Wearside pirate copies your hulls and is stopped from selling them on eBay, where else is he going to sell his hulls without spending real money on avertising?
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:26 am »

Thanks for reminding me about the rules, chaps. Fortunately none of the plans on offer are my work, although there are coincidences in that the Swordsman is the plan which I used as a basis for my (larger) version, and the Seaforth Conqueror is superficially the same as Aziz - although it isn't the same vessel.

I was once the victim of outrageous copyright theft - someone for whom I'd designed an electric-powered model aircraft for kitting then sold my plans to Radio Modeller magazine, using his name as the designer/draftsman instead of mine. He even passed off as his own work the two prototypes which I had built. I hope he spent the money wisely, because he never resurfaced in the model trade after that.........

BTW, if anyone wonders about the fabulous riches available for having a design published as a plan, I seem to recall I was paid about £300 for a four-page article, several colour photos and a camera-ready tracing of the full-size plans. Skegness here we come!!

FLJ

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:06:19 am »

BTW, if anyone wonders about the fabulous riches available for having a design published as a plan, I seem to recall I was paid about £300 for a four-page article, several colour photos and a camera-ready tracing of the full-size plans. Skegness here we come!!

FLJ

Three hundred, and you're complaining? You could buy a semi-detached house back then for that kind of money, and still have some change for a good night out.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:08 am »

I wasn't complaining - I like Skegness.....................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.