Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tens Machine ?  (Read 7433 times)

John Mk2

Tens Machine ?
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:26:47 am »

Has anyone used one or using one ? Thinking of trying one instead of more pill's  :((

treeboa

Re: Tens Machine ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

tried one, trouble was i found you need to increase the power every so often, eventually you are using serious power from one and cant go higher, couple of people i know found the same, im not talking a few months here its over a few years - does get you off the zombie tabs though  :-))

HUNTER

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

Hi,
I have used a Tens machine for severe arthritis for over ten years with a lot of success although you may need to renew the pads and batteries every so often. When the pads go week you will find that you need to turn up the power to them. Change them for new ones and you will need to turn the power down.
I have had NHS acupuncture, hydrotherapy and have swallowed enough pain killers to keep boots going for years. The winner - is the Tens machine, everytime.
They are not expensive at around £20 and the relieve is wonderful. The NHS approve and recommend them.
Regards
Graham

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:58:03 am »

For details please visit Wickapwdia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation

Hope this helps

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

another one here I have a TENS for problems I have with my back and shoulder
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »

I have used one in the past but not now, yes they block the pain, I found after using the same pads for a few days they come unstuck and give you a nice jolt if its turned up a fair bit %%

that's the time to change for new one's !

I think a lot depends why you have the pain in the first place, if its for something which needs further treatment like an operation then be careful as by not feeling the pain you can make a problem worse and then the Tens can hide any more trouble !

My experience anyway.

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:35 pm »

I tried one for my spondilosis some time ago, and the leads kept coming out and giving me shocks on other places.........thank goodness it was on the NHS and not bought.....took it back after a few months, did nothing at all, sorry to say
but being a big fat sod, it might have been me and not the machine.............if you can get one on the health service to try, all the better.

neil.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:22 pm »

I Had one around 30 years ago for My A/S , it worked well it was a four lead , they where very expensive then and where only loaned for a period of time I bought one they where the equivalent of about £500 in todays money, they have improved mine came with a big leather belt and was built in what looked like a maplins box, with big knobs that could be very easily knocked they where also very powerfull to the point if you knocked the controls on full you Had great difficulty trying to turn it down, unfortunately I had to stop using it when I Had a pacemaker fitted at the time it was working well and was reducing the need for pain killers.
so if you have any heart problems ask your doctor first.

Peter

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »

Just a thought, I'm bad at the moment with a disc injury, had it a long time, if I'm at home sat looking at this PC screen at lot, a hot water bottle in just the right place is very soothing... O0 rechargeable too!
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »

Peter, I can sympathise with you I was diagnosed with A/S in 76.  Biggest problem is my neck only has about 10% movement
making it a bit awkward driving, especially at junctions - got more mirrors on the car than you can count.
Borrowed a Tens machine from a friend for a trial but got no appreciable relief from it.

Geoff

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 02:21:12 pm »

Peter, I can sympathise with you I was diagnosed with A/S in 76.  Biggest problem is my neck only has about 10% movement
making it a bit awkward driving, especially at junctions - got more mirrors on the car than you can count.
Borrowed a Tens machine from a friend for a trial but got no appreciable relief from it.

Geoff

I have had it since I was 15 now 44 years later er still have it, my neck and spine froze early less than 1% depending on who measures and moves my shoulders, I drove up to my last hip repair then could not get the little bit of twist in my body because of my hip used hand mirrors for probably 35 years no problem much better when power steering became standard, it got expensive fitting it to none power steering cars.
I decided I was not as fast as I needed to be to happily drive so I gave up, now have to use a chair so stiffend up a lot more. I was diagnosed with WPW which along with Chrones is related to A/S hence no tense

peter

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »

Not being rude or insensitive or anything, but are there any Mayhemmers "of an age" NOT suffering from somethin that has only a Latin name? But thank goodness we seem to be beyond the age when catching something "naughty" is a possibility. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

bikerdude666

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »

gets a tens machine! hours of entertainment, here my mate using his... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2O3tgWdKo&feature=feedrec_grec_index

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

Not being rude or insensitive or anything, but are there any Mayhemmers "of an age" NOT suffering from somethin that has only a Latin name? But thank goodness we seem to be beyond the age when catching something "naughty" is a possibility. BY.

the only thing I catch these days and regularly too is a cold, lol

treeboa

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

you can get a jab to sort it theses days

flu jab that is  ;D

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:25:37 am »

Hi all, reading these posts is like being in hospital listening to your room mates complaints, the only reason we hurt so much is that we have lived long enough to feel the pain of old age. If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:03 am »

Hi all, reading these posts is like being in hospital listening to your room mates complaints, the only reason we hurt so much is that we have lived long enough to feel the pain of old age. If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. LOL. Mick B.

{-)

Yes but think of all the fun you wouldn't have had...!

I spent many a happy hour under a car...

Cost me a fortune and I finished up a physical wreck...nurse..where's me hot water bottle :D

JB.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 11:53:10 am »

so where ill because we don't look after our selves, what a load of CR** , it is so insulting to people who are ill .so at 17 I got A/S because I did not look after my self

Peter

treeboa

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 12:56:28 pm »

so where ill because we don't look after our selves, what a load of CR** , it is so insulting to people who are ill .so at 17 I got A/S because I did not look after my self

Peter

i dont think he means you mate, more the likes of me, by 12 i had fell out of a tree impaling me  in the knee and under the kneecap on a branch, by 21 i had fell off a cliff falling 45 foot before landing on my back, by 31 i had added jaw broken, nose broken, leg broken, both wrists and knuckles, i had also drowned in a scuba accident,  by 40 i again had smashed my nose, couple fingers,a couple of ribs and compounded a toe, engineering background has left deafness and also welding damaged my lungs, add in i have four cervical ribs that were discovered when i went the docs complaining i was dropping things, thats four more than most that affect my neck and also in later years the feeling in my hands, the hands and fingers tingle all the time, hearts enlarged on the right side, thats not counting the scars i have, so now AT 56 i feel rain and winter coming, i need a couple of new hips but im too young  :o, i have a drawer full of tabs and inhalers, i was warned by a consultant i could be in a wheelchair by 50, im six years past that n still not in one though sometimes i need a stick, my love of fishing has gone less as following a days relaxation i pay for it, even a relaxing sailing a boat can be painfull from bending and even extended time holding/operating a radio

John Mk2

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »

What have I started  :embarrassed:

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

What have I started  :embarrassed:

well I'm not sure but we still don't know why you asked about the TENS...come on what's the problem? ..you can talk to us...!

I'm off to boil the kettle and refill the hot water bottle.. the damp weather is killin my back hips legs {:-{

:D

JB.

John Mk2

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 03:22:04 pm »

Spinal stenosis (trapped nerves ) In hip's & leg's ! Like permanent sciatica. Sting's a bit  :((

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »

Spinal stenosis (trapped nerves ) In hip's & leg's ! Like permanent sciatica. Sting's a bit  :((

Pretty much the same as me then, I had a discectomy on L4-5, worse now a bad idea i reckon, osteo arthritis too which is playing up now the cold damp weather is here

Heat is a good way of easing the pain I find, not much else I can say really except you have my sympathy, I know all about it

I try to keep my mind occupied with modelling as much as I can, helps a bit.

JB.

treeboa

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 04:04:20 pm »

i have this seat cover that you can program to vibrate, massage and also heat up, for me it works wonders on my lower back and hips, i also have a version that fits the car seats and is powered via the fag lighter socket, works for me most of the time

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 09:14:23 pm »

Treeboa

Yes, I have been thinking about a powered heat device I can use on my PC desk (mastermind) chair :D

I'll be sat here more now the winter is coming as I use the desk for small scale modelling too, the hot water bottle is good but having to refill so often and the problems are not getting any better its a good idea.

I know we need to adapt to our situation and make life that bit easier and convenient...never mind eh...! I've got plenty of kit's etc for the next few months, keep busy and spring will be here soon...I hope!

JB.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.