Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtroniks tio Marine30 going into failsafe mode  (Read 4596 times)

Yogibear

Mtroniks tio Marine30 going into failsafe mode
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:26 pm »

Ive got my Condor 9 set up with 2x 12v battery packs and 2x Mtroniks tio Marine 30's going to the standard 700BB Turbo motors.

Using my DX8 and Orange RX 6 channel reciever.

The problem is the speed controllers keep going into failsafe mode. Sometimes one sometimes both. Sometimes they come back on together sometimes one then the other. I get a rapidly blinking red light then it come back to life.

I dont believe that the signal is dropping out as it does it when its 12" away of 100meters away , doesent seam to make a difference.

Both speed controllers are linked via a Y lead to the RX with the centre v+ removed.

I believe its wired up correctly, took the v+ wire out of the socket to firstly 1 then the other and finally took the v+ out of both and plugged in a seperate power supply to the RX.

I tried each side with an old Mtroniks Viper 15 I had in another boat and it all worked fine and as expected.

Wasent sure if this was the right section as it could be a speed controller issue or a reciever issue i think.

CF-FZG

Re: Mtroniks tio Marine30 going into failsafe mode
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:11 pm »

Try using the 2nd esc on a different channel and slave that channel to the throttle - I've seen similar problems with servos.

My reasoning - as they're going into failsafe it indicates loss of signal between the Rx and esc(s), you're sending 1 signal down the Y lead which is degrading the strength of that signal, (there's a report that the signal from ch1 on Spektrum DSM2 Rx's is lower that the rest of the channels but I haven't heard the same about the Orange Rx's).

Mark.

NickKK

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »

I had that keep happening to me. I took them back  to the shop I bought them at. Then bought two electronize esc instead ... no problems using them and they are so easy to adjust ....

Yogibear

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:29 pm »

Ive sent an email to the place I bought them from and am waiting a reply, acording to Mtroniks they should work together.

Been testing some more tonight individually without the Y lead in place and the problem still persists.

Ive also tried using a different channel in the RX which gave the same results because I thought it might be the throttle channel dropping out but that didn't help either.

Tried hooking up a 540 motor and had the same drop out as with the 700BB turbo's.

Also hooked up my old 27mHz set and the same drop out occured.

Ive resoldered all of the suppression capacitors today  thinking it might be an interferance problem.

Finally stuck my Viper 15 in and it works fine with all the permutations so it appears to be a problem with the speed controllers but im far from 100%.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:18 am »

Why not give Mtroniks a call? Im sure that they will happly advise you.John.

Gra

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:57:31 am »

Hi
I agree with John S, the first people you contact should be the manufacture.
They have a good name based on comments on this site.

Gra

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:37 am »

A servo tester is also very good for testing ESCs.  Low enough cost for every home to have one, and very useful for eliminating a lot of sources of problems between the stick and the end of the ESC/servo/whatever device wire.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

hollowhornbear

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:02 am »

is the tio esc set for lipo, instead of nicad. could be the voltage cut off working.

787Eng

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

Try using the 2nd esc on a different channel and slave that channel to the throttle

Totally agree with CF, you have enough channels available with your DX8.
Just use one of your mixes to slave the second channel...

One other thought your "Y" is not a buffered one is it, as Spectrum advise NOT to use that type...
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Experience/InstallationBestPractices.aspx

Mark

Yogibear

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

A day of ringing round the different manufacturers to quiz them as to know issues with the components.

I have narrowed it down to being an issue between the orange rx and the Mtroniks tio Marine 30.

I set up my 27mHz set again and powered it up and down repatidly and managed to get the failsafe to cut in once.

I also disabled reverse on the speed controllers and selected nimh battery which made no difference at all.

I've also been trying to run it all individually as I was worried about the Y lead but that has made no difference either.

So now im at the stage of trying to borrow/buy a different reciever and see if the problem persists.

Spektrum suggested it sounded like a failsafe cutting in on the RX. MTroniks werent sure and said I was welcome to send the speed controllers back to be checked out. The reseller I got the Orange RX's from said I was welcome to return them and they felt it was a compatibility problem.

Bit stumped tbh as ive tried every permutation I can come up with.

How would I go about slaving a second channel on my DX8 as I would profer to use that option rather than a Y cable if possible.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.