Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone converted 1 of these to RC? - Revell 1/72 Type VIIC  (Read 12791 times)

bikerdude666

Anyone converted 1 of these to RC? - Revell 1/72 Type VIIC
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/561_1_1013296.html

Pretty sure I'll be getting 1 for christmas, wanted 1 for about 8 months, but nowhere had them in stock, so want to try and get bits ready so i can get straight on with it once i get it. If anyone has already converted 1 to RC some pics and details of what you use etc would be most helpful!!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anyone converted 1 of these to RC? - Revell 1/72 Type VIIC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:54:46 pm »

This might be better placed in the Submarines section, where I suspect you will find that many people have done the conversion...

Moved here as suggested

ken

bikerdude666

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »

Didn't wanna put it in here as I'm only doing a surface running model rather than a proper sub.

coolbumble

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

Hi
So many of these done there must be loads of threads on here to assist you for surface running and diving. Built one myself a few years ago great fun I'm sure many folk will come to your assistance Just adding a a few pics and one of the wtc in my diving sub to give you some idea of the room you have
Also you can with care use a dremel or similar at slow speed to remove the material from the back of the flood holes saving you hours of drilling and filing  WITH CARE !!!
Ian :-))

bikerdude666

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »

Thanks, I did do a search on the forum, but I never seem to find anything I want. Didnt think it would be possible to make the Revell kit fully submersible! Wish I didn't know cos now I just want to do that! But haven't got a clue where to start, does it cost much to do? Maybe have to give it some thought over the next couple of months. Was it very hard to make it fully submersible? Sorry for all the questions but I really have no idea about subs, don't even know the difference between dynamic dive and the other type, the name of which I've forgotten at the moment.

coolbumble

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:11:30 am »

Hi
i would say it is a challenge needing patience and time It was the first time I had built any models since my teens (now 77)
If you go to "google" and enter  "big dave welch submarines"  his web site gives a kit for the V11 but if you go that way check it fits the version you have. Caswell also does a kit but I think more expensive.Once again using "google" enter revell V11 radio controlled submarine loads of info here with vds and pics.
Ian  :-))

hollowhornbear

bikerdude666

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »

Thanks for those links, I'm sure caswell is worth the money but it's far beyond my current budget. However the Dave Welch site looks more promising, I've sent him an email asking about the kit and what was needed extra to the kit to get it finished.

Ian did you make your own WTC or did you use 1 of the Dave Welch kits? Really tempted to give this a go, only way to learn is to try!

coolbumble

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »

Hi
Yes I did use a Dave Welch kit and found with the instructions and the CD giving you a step by step pictorial made it a lot easier.
However I am sure you will need patience as its a small sub to convert and quite fiddly  But thats the challenge. I believe he has upgraded the kit to what I had with improvements and more of it being put together.
I understand quite a lot of people have built these but getting them to work correctly your spend a lot of time with it in the bath !!!!
One other point being USA all material / measurements etc are imperial .
If I can be of any more help please ask

bikerdude666

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:30:20 pm »

Cheers, what else did you have to buy? Esc, battery, receiver, servo(I assume more than 1 servo? Are micro servos best due to the space limitations? I've got loads of normal sized servos but only 1 micro servo.)

Do you apply the same ballast process as a boat? I don't mind if it's fiddly, I have patience with things like this, just not much patience with people, or traffic, or waiting for parcels lol

Now I just need to try and find the money for it!

coolbumble

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »

Hi
Gosh I will have to use my memory cells here but no prob

You will have to use micro servos I used three as I didn't bother with having the front dive planes moving its not necessary. I used 3 Tower pro mini servos reasonable on Ebay to buy and a Hitec HFS-05MS miniature receiver and a Mtronicks micro viper marine 10 speed controller. The servos one for the rudders and one for the rear dive planes the other to operate the air release valve which I made from a cycle valve You can see that in the picture of my wtc (click on the pic and it will enlarge it) But he may well supply an alternative to this now . The battery needs to be small and is made up of two Ericsson phone batteries  ERI 2618 3.6 volt 1300mAh joined in series making 7.2 volt.  I'm not sure if you can still get hold of these ask if he can supply ? The battery goes outside the wtc and this works ok  (see pic where it goes a dob of Vaseline on the terminals  would help ). I used very little lead ballast in the bottom of the hull and polystyrene about water line experimentation will be needed here. I see from his site he now supplies the motors already mounted on the wtc end cap. Thats a great bonus as it was tricky !!!

coolbumble

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:03 pm »

Oppps memory blip

The third servo not only works the cycle valve but also a microswitch to operate the airpump see wtc pic .This inflates and deflates the airbag outside the wtc using the air in the wtc hence called RCABS recirculating compressed air ballast system.

bikerdude666

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »

Thanks, I've decided I'll definitely be doing a fully submersible model, sounds like a bit of a challenge, in fact due to my complete lack of knowledge of subs it'll be very challenging! I've at least found out the difference between static and dynamic dive.

Sorry for all the questions, but, how did you make the dive planes move? I assume out of the kit they are just glued in a fixed place? Think I'd wan both front and rear dive planes working. And 1 last question (for now) can you remember how you attached the deck to make it removable?

coolbumble

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:31 pm »

The Revell kit comes in many parts the dive planes being made of two halves as many items are. Dave Welch instructions and CD give you all the info and graphical pics to show you how to do this. If you look and the thread that is running on here about the 1/144 trumpeter I am building you will see pictures of how I did this with the dive planes etc on this model . Which is the same way.
The deck on my V11 is in three sections as I  remember I will take it apart and post some pictures for you later.
I wish you luck squeezing a fourth servo in for the front planes it really is a tight in the forward part of the WTC . I like you wanted to do it but changed my mind!!!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »

The deck on my V11 is in three sections as I  remember I will take it apart and post some pictures for you later.

Yes Please   O0 O0 :-)) :-))

coolbumble

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 01:16:05 am »

Hi  As promised have taken it apart !!!
And taken a few pics showing how I attached the deck to the hull The photos I trust you will find self explanatory. Please bear with me as this was done some years ago my first model  since my early teens !!! and  the underside of the "sail"deck is by no means pretty, I remember I had a job to find a glue to  hold the strips of brass I first tried and later used ali rod glued with stabalite express (sorry its such a mess but its held it ) I also found using the three anchoring screws with the nuts soldered in the tube each side stopped the deck lifting when the ballons were filled with air.Probably a lot of guys have done it another and poss an easier way but this worked for me at the time !! The other things I did was to make the rear rudder stabiliser part 38 in the revell kit out of brass as the kit one was to flimsy also the front cutters were made of brass. I did have a problem getting a good signal to the receiver and overcame this by placing the aerial outside the WTC I think you can see this in one of the pics .
Wow its late again bedtime

bikerdude666

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 08:37:05 am »

Thanks, that's very helpful, I can see how tight space is, maybe I won't make the front planes move, this could just become a practice for a larger model. Nice to know the cd supplied is helpful, didn't sound like it had many instructions with it on his website. Though I've not actually had a reply from him yet, I hope he still makes them.

When you say about hard to get the ballast right, do you mean getting the air bags in the right place to allow it to dive and surface?  I've got quite a list of parts needed now, new radio set, esc, battery, 3 servos, glue, paint and various other bits, looks like I'll be doing more overtime!

Thanks for your help!

coolbumble

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 10:52:28 am »

Glad you found it useful. The ballasting wasn't so hard just took time with weights and polystyrene to get it to sit right in the water and first time I had done this. Also no airbrush so was hand painted !! The instructions you get are ample every stage of the way.
Sorry you have had no reply from D W I must admit I emailed him a while ago asking about his Trumpeter kit (which since I have decided to go it alone!!) and he emailed me back saying he would get back to me when on his main computer but I have not heard from him
Maybe you should try again or poss someone on here can give you other contact details for him .

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:01 am »

Last I heard from BDW (about three weeks ago) he wasn't that well...

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

There is also the conversion kit marketed by Norbert Bruggen- http://modelluboot.de/KITS/VII/VIIc.html

Bit different in concept to the other conversions.

For cheap servos and radio, it's difficult to best Hobby King, with micro servos from about $1 and receivers under a tenner.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:46:27 pm »

Hi  As promised have taken it apart !!!
And taken a few pics showing how I attached the deck to the hull The photos I trust you will find self explanatory.

Thank you  :-)) :-)) O0 O0

redboat219

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 04:32:11 pm »

There is also the conversion kit marketed by Norbert Bruggen- http://modelluboot.de/KITS/VII/VIIc.html

According to this  link Revell is reissuing the 1/72 Type VII again. Gives hope to people like me who want one.

bikerdude666

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

Anticsonline have several, follow the link at the top of this thread, takes you to their shop, think they've got about 10 in stock at the moment.

redboat219

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 06:16:43 am »

Sigh. Unfortunately I live in Asia. Shipping cost is 2-3x the price of the item.

bikerdude666

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:27 am »

Ahh sorry didn't notice your location. From what I've read though Revell are producing the kit again, so you may well get 1.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.