Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY of EBAY BIDDERS  (Read 2582 times)

nhp651

THE MYSTERY of EBAY BIDDERS
« on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:56 pm »

I, and some of you will think I am raving mad, have just paid £14.52 plus £1.01p postage for a rather mundane black and white post card on Ebay.

Normally this sort of postcard (although I have never seen this particular one on ebay before) showing the launch of a lifeboat (Fleetwood's to be exact) would probably attract no bids, or possibly one at the starting price of 0.99p.

But this one was special to me, and so I put a bid on it at the start of the week of £10.50 because I didn't want to loose it, and with my memory, would have probably forgotten it had my kids not kept reminding me about it and to bid on it.

However, because I had put this bid on, I reckon that ebay fever must have taken over and as a result, those who kept trying to out bid me pushed the price up to the total that I had to pay eventually.

Is it a case of sheep following sheep, and because the price keeps going up, those who want to outbid, think there is something unique about such a mundane item.....it sometimes baffles me, just at those plastic lifeboats can sometimes sell for £150.......very strange.

But the reason that it's so special to me that I needed to buy it..............well, it was taken in 1960 ( or there abouts) and I am on it as a little boy watching the Lifeboat being launched..........and I'm wearing a jumper that my mum knitted for me........... Nothing special about that some say.

Sadly it was one of the last questions my mum put to me just before she died of Alhziemers about 6 years ago............"you haven't worn that blue striped jumper I knitted for you in a while".........funny how things get to you and bring a tear to your eye, even at the age of 60.

I think I'd have paid almost anything for that post card tonight  O0 O0 O0

sentry

Re: THE MYSTERY of EBAY BIDDERS
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »

what a lovely man you are your mum would have been so proud of you.
                     Regards Howard.

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:10:56 am »

thank you!
not really....just very sentimental, and soft.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:30 am »

Congrats to you matey - that's priceless - post the ebay image up  :-))

I still have a wooly jumper my nan knitted for me in 1970 - arthritus and all.  I've not worn it for years (popped her clogs 20 yrs ago) but I think I will this winter - might be a bit snug for fishing in though :o

Re ebay - normally I set my phone for bid minus 15 minutes then in the last thiry seconds I bid the absolute limit I would be happy to pay. If I lose then I woldn't have paid the price anyway and if I win it's at or hopefully below my max price - and theres been no bid climbing.

Regards Norseman

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:21 am »

here it is.....and I'm the little boy second left, bottom right hand corner

richtea

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:24:44 am »

Memories like that are priceless,
so to pay 15 quid for a picture is a steal.
Good on yer.
Regards
Richard  :-))

rickles23

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:27:06 am »

Hi,
At fifteen pounds you got a bargain.
Memories are priceless.
I found a photograph of my Late Father which cost ten pounds but those memories came back.
Regards

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:14 am »

your postcard and your memories bring a tear to an eye you softy for a memory like that price no limit the heart rules   slug

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:03:21 am »

you may have found the other bidder was the young boy stood next to you  :-)) I pay what i think thing are worth to me I have bought a few things that I had owned when I was young and first started modeling (early sixties), I am not worried about re sale price, and funny enough I have not been disappointed with my buys.

Peter

mikearace

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:46:21 am »

Bargain!

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:36:11 am »

For an item like this with the memories it holds, a bargain
If it ain't broke it ain't mine

KEMO

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »

Hiya Neil,
            I was tempted to bid on this one myself as I collect lifeboat postcards, but declined, hopefully another will turn up.  It's a really nice card not at all mundane, special for you also as it's the 'Ann Letitia Russell'

Keith.

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

you know, Keith, in all the years I have lived in that fair town, I only ever saw the Anne Lettitia Russell actually launched "in anger" once! and that was because I was stood next to the boat house when they fired the maroons from the slipway doors.

Many times I got to see her just passing the "Dolphin" ( that's the structure off the end of the slipway and to the port side of the boat) going out on a "shout", and many a time.............like the one in the photo of her going out on a practice..............but the lads were too quick when it came to a rescue service and were always far ahead of us wee nippers when it came to getting to the boat house and launching where the need for speed was paramount.

neil.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »

Hi Neil, you cant turn back time my friend, but you cant put a price on memories,that stay with you forever.Ii helps to have photographic reminders though! As a matter of interest what section did that come under? I do a regular search for every combination of "Lifeboat" that I can think of,but didnt find that one! If I had I would have e mailed you anyway because of the boat involved,certainly wouldnt have recognised you from you as a boy!!!! o o o .

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 05:04:29 pm »

hi Mick.......I just have on favorites "LIFEBOAT"......on an ebay page....ending soonest....and look every few days... about 25 pages come up of ALL things lifeboat related.

neil.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »

The picture is great Neil and like has been said you can't put a price on memories, it wants framing and hanging up, Dave.  :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »

Hi Neil, it was really great that you got the card, now when you matt & frame it make sure you use  anti UV glass to stop any fading. I am so glad that you found it, what a really amazing coincidence & story, Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.