Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUILD WITH IKEA  (Read 2228 times)

LarryW

BUILD WITH IKEA
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »

HI ALL ,
        as you no i use a lot of  Ikea blind for model building , because i build on a budget ,
        just started to build another narrow boat ,  because i have sold my last one to help with build projects
       so post a few pictures of the said materials and bamboo garden canes   i use for rubbing rails,  
        does any body else use strange build sources........LARRY....

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BUILD WITH IKEA
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:42 pm »

Have used B & Q & Homebase strip timber for model aircraft in the past. The ramin strip is hard & easier to get than decent spruce or similar. I also use them for glues & some type of paint.
Jim

MikeA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »

IKEA blind?? do you mean the shutter type things for windows? Is it real wood and how much do they cost? The other day i was thinking what i could use as a rubber fender to go around my boat, i came across some black electrical cable in my tool box and stuck it around the hull with some CA. It also has a 540 motor which came out of a car tire pump from bargain madness. that was only 4 quid, i saved the 150 psi compressor for it too dont know what ill use it for though.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

I think Larry means Venetian Blinds, the wooden slatted variety and the thin bamboo strip type also yeild many feet of wood rods for building or decoration.  My village dump..er recycling facility, :police: is a great source if one is patient. Some of the older (read better class) drawers are a good source of timber for Springer and barge hull sides. Every trip is an adventure but SWMO says I bring back more that I take :((   Bicycle tyres are thrown away for no reason on buckled wheels, childrens toys, Wendy Houses and child sized bikes and trikes all in usable condition put in skips as scrap. We live in wasteful times. :((
..well can you land on this?

LarryW

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:18:23 pm »

HI ALL , nice to hear what modellers use for rubber fender i use old cam belts it smooth on one side and ribbed on other
          i never walk past  a skip with out a rummage in it .
 the blinds are Venetian type they are soft wood a bit like obeache   LARRY....

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »

Hy Guy's
The wood for the blind's that Larry use's is Lupin. I use it for decking, coaming etc.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

MikeA

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »

I occasionally rummage in skips but usual go late at night so im not seen.

brianB6

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:35:37 am »

I don't need to go to the tip.   My wife is a retired Art teacher and just hoards things "that might be useful one day"   %%
We used to have a Lounge ,Sun Room, Verandahs and a Laundry as well as various sheds, now all used for storage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.