Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI staff post Controversial film  (Read 11318 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI staff post Controversial film
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »

It was with sadness that i saw that staff at Sandibanks Poole.Had nothing better to do than make using RNLI equipement a film of doubtful quality mocking certain types of people.These staff are i understand paid,i hope that their actions were in there own time.The RNLI is a fine insitution and thoughtless actions like this will sadly bring it into disrepute.Lets hope this will be a one off.With regret.John.

ZZ56

Re: RNLI staff post Controversial film
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:01 am »

Link?  News Story?  Blog post?  Anything further?

alan rushbrook

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:09:43 am »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

That's one set of lifeguards who won't be on duty next year. The RNLI must be spitting tacks!

bbdave

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37:17 am »

well they will finance a bunch of young dudes and pay for their toys (quads,jet skiis,4x4s,etc) to parade around our beaches,just  to look after the stupids who rely on them  to rake them out of situations they are to stupid to judge and now don't have to take responsability for.

Just my opinion
Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:48:45 am »

well they will finance a bunch of young dudes and pay for their toys (quads,jet skiis,4x4s,etc) to parade around our beaches,just  to look after the stupids who rely on them  to rake them out of situations they are to stupid to judge and now don't have to take responsability for.

Just my opinion
Dave

Well, in that case why have a lifeboat service at all just to rescue people who shouldn't have gone to sea or are careless enough to run their ships aground because they don't maintain the engines properly. And, come to that, why have an ambulance service to pick up the pieces because drivers don't look where they are going and have accidents. And, and... - well, where do you stop?

If you assume that it is better to try and rescue people rather than leave them to drown then the Lifeguard Service, which I think is paid for to a large extent by the local authority anyway, is cheaper than having more lifeboats on call to deal with these situations.

One assumes from your comments that you don't read the lifeboat journal which reports on some of these incidents.

Colin

bbdave

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

Alot of people using surf skiis etc. do so expecting these people to go out after them and drag them back at which point they go out again they need to be responsible for there own actions not rely on someone else to be there to drag them out of the poo.

Totaly different to the yachtsman who goes out fully prepared but suffers a failed engine or some such incident but then has the emergency services to help.
I don't read the journels but i am fully aware of what my local boats and crews are doing

as i said just my opinion

Dave

cuppa

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 12:10:19 pm »

I can't imagine that anyone on this forum would argue against the fact that the RNLI is a fine institution and that the lifeboat crews are amongst the very best people that this country has to offer. We should all be very proud of them.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:20:02 pm »

Dave,

I would agree that there are some irresponsible selfish people about but that is true at all levels including people who put to sea unprepared in small boats and masters of huge container ships who run them at full speed onto marked reefs in broad daylight!

But, as with other types of rescue, most of the beach incidents appear to be due to peopl'e ignorance, underestimating their capapilities, being unaware of cross currents or simply not keeping a close enough eye on their kids. Very reprehensible perhaps but we all do stupid things from time to time.

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 01:34:29 pm »

Not seen the film and not going to try either - probably wasn't worth watching anyway. Content is irrelevant just whether they were supposed to be on watch is worying.

But 'not keeping a close enough eye on their kids' is a sweeping generalisation.

Lost one of mine in less than five seconds - took two minutes of sheer hell to find her. She was playing hide and seek with us from behind someones parasol a few yards away. She could just as easily been in the water. We were obsesively attentive parents but nobodies perfect.

Regards Norseman

bbdave

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 01:44:25 pm »

I know personnaly people who go out on there surf skiis in totaly unsuitable sea conditions but they say "the lifeguards are here if we need them"

one recentlly was rescued her, her boyfriend and 4yr old on an inflatable kayak! in a rip tide! but they said it was fine as the lifeguards are watching. I made sure she donated and visited the lifeboat house afterwards.

Dave

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »

TBH watching seaside rescue a lot of the rescues they do are due to accidents. I'm thinking surf boards in the mush etc. Yup some lost kids & some stupid people but not all of them.
Jim

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »

Haven't seen the film and I am not interested in watching it, but how many on hear would say to them ....Please don't risk your life to rescue me you messed about having fun once with your mates. I think not many they are still very brave men who are probably at a very busy station who have saved countless lives ,so a slap on the wrist if anything. no one complained at the Army films and then the Navy one on I think it was Ark Royal.

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

But the RNLI trades on its high reputation so something like this has a disproportionate effect on their image. Not quite the same as a bunch of sailors or soldiers where going a bit over the top sometimes is not unexpected behaviour.

Colin

thegrimreaper

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »

somebody in the topic said that the lifeguards are paid by the local councils or get the funding from the local authority well if that is true its us the tax payer that is paying them sorry if this offends anyone but they deserve all the money that is allocated to them and if a few idiots want to make a video of them selves messing around and then stupidly publish the said film on utube and the said film is deemed to be offensive then sack those involved and replace them with people who care to do the job. I still say that if you are stupid enough to put to see or go against expert advice when swimming I am of the opinion that if you need to be rescued through your own stupidity (not going prepared for what ever activity you are attempting) then you should pay towards your rescue. not talking about captains that put to sea and lose a mast or their engine just the percentage that don't give a dam for their own safety never mind their rescuers

Regards Mark

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »

I think the reason we have these lifeguards on beaches that have hidden dangers to the unwary, unthinking and downright unbelievable
is now down to the Elfin Safety and Sue No win No Fee that now blights our society.
Local Authorities are responsible for beaches and without some sort of safety team patrolling a beach could be described as failing in a duty of care
and open to all sorts of claims. The Elfins could step in and close the beach as a hazard costing the local economy untold amounts if tourists stay away.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:04 pm »

only going to say one thing......stupid lads and lasses .

However I would rather let my kids swim on a beach patrolled by these guys and girls, than on an unpatrolled beach where anything can and does happen.

Long live sensible RNLI lifeguards.

neil.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »

I  agree to your statement Neil, that hopefully our beaches are safer with Lifeguards on,when they are doing their duty,but dont forget the councils (taxpayers) pay for them and the RNLI,who you know I support wholeheartedly supply them with the best equipment available.DIDNT THEY LEAVE ONE OF THEIR 4 WHEEL DRIVES TO GET COVERED,AND WRECKED BY THE SEA RECENTLY? A couple of years ago someone in Cornwall almost lost their life, because the duty Lifeguard was "rescuing" a very attractive young lady in a cave? Most of the day they are playing beach bums and laying about on the beach chatting up the girls,or if not "patrolling" (joyriding???) on that top equipment?
The point is, they are being PAID,whereas our Lifeboatment,risk life and limb,to rescue stupid  and unlucky people alike, but do it Voluntarily ?

nhp651

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

the councils (taxpayers) pay for them

didn't realise that guys...........sack the blighters and get a new more responsible lot in!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »

Well, you would expect them to be paid wouldn't you as they are required to be on duty all day during the summer unlike lifeboatmen who have normal jobs and will only be spending a small amount of their time on 'shouts'.

Lifeguards have to be very fit and this usually means they are young as well. Young people frequently find it difficult to exercise judgement as to what is and what isn't acceptable social behaviour, it's hard wired into them at that age, and so it is easy for them to go over the top. This bunch clearly behaved in an unacceptable manner but I don't like the way that some people on here are quite happy to condemn both the lifeguards, the vast majority of which I am sure do a great job, and/or the people being rescued as being mostly feckless idiots when in most cases people get into trouble without having done anything particularly reprehensible.

By the same reasoning you could argue that all Mayhemers are intolerant ignoramuses given to kneejerk reactions and unable to look at things in a mature way. Certainly some I would say, but hardly a majority!

Don't just look at the extremes, let's keep things in proportion.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »

I have not seen the vid and as the vid has been pulled unlikely to see it , was this done while on duty , was any harm done ?.

nhp651

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

actually colin, my last remark WAS tongue in cheek...........I really didn't see anything wrong in much of what they did on the film....in fact it was quite well put together, and I could see that someone has a great career in film production once their "summer vacation job" has come to an end.
It is nothing that most of us didn't get up to on lazy hazey long summer days in our youth if the truth be told,

and as I said earlier......I'd rather they be on duty than a council not doing anything to make our beaches safe.

being a beach bum from as young as I can remember I regularly went back to school from a summer holiday only to find that at least one school chum wouldn't be coming back at all........he'd lost his life to the perils of the sea off Fleetwood,
and without these guys and galls on our more popular beaches, I say.....there but for the grace of god go my kids or someone elses kids, and it's not a nice thought.

let them be guys......they haven't done anything more than we did as youths.

The long Build

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 06:26:46 pm »

let them be guys......they haven't done anything more than we did as youths.

FRom what I have read on here about some of the exploits of various members in past careers , I think that was pretty mild..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »

......they haven't done anything more than we did as youths.

That is perfectly true. The problem is that they associated it with the RNLI and will attract opprobium for that alone. I haven't seen the film either. Then of course we get on to the 'setting an example' issue. If they are seen to get away with it (and because of the publicity a lot of people will be following the story) then others will think that this sort of behaviour is funny and OK as well. To use a comparison closer to home, time and time again on Mayhem we have seen the situation where somebody posts a bit of a risque joke and it is allowed to stand. Then somebody goes a bit further and somebody else tops that and before you know where you are real smut starts to appear and the Moderators have to go in heavy handed. People just don't seem to be able to help themselves.

These guys seem to have brought the RNLI into disrepute by association. No doubt they didn't mean to, they were just thoughtless, but they did and the likelihood is that they will pay a pretty high price. Wrong place, wrong time.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.