Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI staff post Controversial film  (Read 11316 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: RNLI staff post Controversial film
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 06:35:43 pm »

We can all look back to what we did when young in the 'Hazy days'  But,
we were beach bums not  'Employed Lifeguards'  
Giving the RNLI bad publicity using RNLI gear and uniforms is not on
Make a satirical film by all means but in your own time with your own equipment
and keep the RNLI out of it

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:34 pm »

the vids on youtube still. I would post it but ill probably be in trouble, its not serious its just not politically correct.

pugwash

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »

They were just stupid in what they did but no real harm was done though the RNLI will have some temporary embarrasment
but it really is the pot calling the kettle black when its our devious, underhand and downright dishonest press corps who are
castigating them.

Geoff

nick_75au

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 01:39:23 am »

So many people with no sense of humour......... sigh

Nick

I watched it was fun, some may be offended but what does not offend someone somewhere

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:11 am »

Matters of taste aren't as important as the simple question - should they have been on beach watch at the time they were making a video? If they should have been and weren't then that's gross negligence and if they weren't then I'm not really bothered about them larking about. So does anyone know the answer to what they should have been doing?

Regards Norseman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:43 am »

A pretty robust statement from the RNLI here: http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/press_centre/news_releases/news_release_detail?articleid=732103

Leaves you in no doubt about what they think and I can't say that I blame them.

Colin

nhp651

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:32 am »

rair enough......nothing more to say on the matter. {:-{

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 10:14:57 am »

Just watched it, papers have blown it well out of proportion as usual, would have been much better to keep the whole affair in house and dealt with it that way rather than making it a media sensation.. It did not change the way I think about the RNLI or the Lifeguards, they both do a great job..  But I can see that not all may think that. 8)

Also noticed that there do seem to be other videos from various lifeguard sections , nothing seem sto have been said about them.

nick_75au

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 11:17:23 am »

The RNLI reply looks fairly stock standard reply that an organization would put out after the media has sensationalized said organisation's mishap.

Nick

andyn

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 11:43:59 am »

So many people with no sense of humour......... sigh

Nick

I watched it was fun, some may be offended but what does not offend someone somewhere

Roll out the champagne and party poppers, I actually agree with something you've said ;) {-)

We all gathered round and watched it yesterday, and we all thought it was absolutely hilarious. How many here like the style of humour of Monty Python? That film wasn't far detatched from what they've done.....

Andy :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 11:45:22 am »

The RNLI reply looks fairly stock standard reply that an organization would put out after the media has sensationalized said organisation's mishap.

I don't think you quite 'get it' which is a little worrying.

I've seen some stills from the film and it is quite obvious that it is just an example of juvenile humour. Most people grow out of that phase and cringe at what they used to find funny, although some don't. It's just part of growing up.

The problem is that these kids were contracted employees of a respected National Institution and brought the reputation of their employers into disrepute. Whether or not you find it 'funny' is irrelevant. They have certainly breached the terms of their employment contract and will suffer the consequences. These won't really be severe, they won't be shot of deep sixed by their colleagues, just dismissed probably, but they will have learned a rather painful lesson and will look back on it with considerable embarrassment in the future.

As for the public at large, they will realise thet the tabloids have milked the situation as usual and in reality it will soon be forgotten by most people except perhaps by some of their lifeguard colleagues elsewhere who will feel shamed by association. It's never nice when you think you are doing a worthwhile job and then your mates pull the rug from under you by their stupid, thoughtless actions.

Colin

Nige52

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

A load of fuss over nothing.
I watched all 8+ minutes of it and all I could see was a harmless bit of fun put together by a talented person. I wonder how many lives were lost or shipwrecks there were whilst filming was taking place, none I bet.
Just college style humour, that modern phrase, 'Lighten up' springs to mind....

:-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

Just college style humour

Quite, that's just what I said, but in an inappropriate context.

Unfortunately some people can't see that and then wonder why others are offended. They should examine their own attitudes. Which is why Charlie Gilmour is sitting in jail at the moment wondering why everyone hates him so much! If he'd swung from a tree rather than the Cenotaph people would probably just have laughed at him.

Colin

bbdave

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 01:38:24 pm »

Roll out the champagne and party poppers, I actually agree with something you've said ;) {-)

We all gathered round and watched it yesterday, and we all thought it was absolutely hilarious. How many here like the style of humour of Monty Python? That film wasn't far detatched from what they've done.....

Andy :-)

The content of the film is imaterial the problem is that if they were supposed to be on duty or not.

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

I will have to say something contrary to what I said I wouldn't before... after so many comments about these lads/lasses bringing the organisation into disrepute

IF THE GENERAL PUBLIC KNEW THE AMOUNT OF WASTE that the RNLI achieves of the public's donations in any one year, they would certainly NOT BE BOTHERED ABOUT a film such as this, more where their hard earned donations go???.

If the public were aware of the chenanigans of the top brass in the RNLI and what their apparent waste of money costs the organisation they [the public] would be more concerned about this sort of behaviour bringing such a high profile charity organisation into disrepute than any film of young kids having a bit of fun on the beach............

And please, anyone, don't try and deny that this goes on...........I mean....sending a 7.5 tonne truck up from Poole to Fleetwood with one 2.5litre pot of blue paint on board ( and nothing else may I add......the truck was otherwise empty the whole trip....reason for the waste..the top brass in Poole apparently din't want a scratch on the Tyne for the up and coming lifeboat day in a week or so, and thought that it would be better to send in a truck than by postal service???) is a serious waste of funds.......and every one who is involved in the RNLI knows that this goes on!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

So before we all dig ourselves into a deeper hole than has already been dug................I suggest that the RNLI looks towards it's own top brass before it sensures the minions for missapropriate behaviour!! <*< <*<

mikearace

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »

Er werent they supposed to be at work or on duty?  Was the equipment used in the film theirs or the RNLI's?  It might be funny in the right context and everyone to their own sense of humour or fun but thats not the point.  Anyone who supports what they have done and thinks it's a fuss over nothing,  might have a different view if they were in business and ran an organisation and these people were there employees and took the proverbail out of their customers.

MikeA

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

if it hadnt been mentioned by the press, then lets be honest which of us would have 1) bothered looking at the vid and 2) giving a proverbial anyway

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 11:33:34 pm »

All I'm bothered about is simply whether any of these people were supposed to be watching swimmers at the time?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:52 am »

I have just watched the video. It is still online.

Pretty harmless really. In fact there was nothing that we could not have put in our end of term 6th form review (in 1975).
The Daily Mail realy over played the story. The talked about simulated sex. In reality you could easily miss it, and the players were acting as a pride of lions at the time.

The only real criticism I have, personally, is if they were filming when they should have been watching. However, I guess they were on standby and could easily have stopped filming if there was a call.

To condemn those concerned without seeing the video is falling right into the hands of the Daily Wail.

My 2 cents.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nhp651

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 08:23:32 am »

To condemn those concerned without seeing the video is falling right into the hands of the Daily Wail.

My 2 cents.

here here TT.
If you are NOT prepared to watch the vid, then your comment cannot be taken seriously.Trial by tabloid comes to mind!! O0 O0 O0

neil.

andyn

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:12 am »

Nail on the head both TT and Neil.

I bet you remaining staff were on watch and this would be recorded just ouside the lifeguard station at all times... They are, after all, in lifeguard uniform  :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

You still seem to be missing the point guys. Whether the video was funny or whether you've watched it all yourself is irrelevant. It's the context that matters and it is that that has caused the controversy. As Mike Race correctly points out, what employer is going to tolerate their employees making this sort of video using the organisation's equipment as props (whether they were 'on duty' or not). Do that in most places and you would be out of the door like a shot for gross misconduct. Believe me, I've sen it happen. Why should the RNLI be any different in that respect?

As an aside, whether you personally find it funny is simply your opinion and doesn't automatically make it right. There are no doubt plenty of other people who would take the opposite view and they might think they are equally right.

When you re read this topic it's clear that there is an awful lot of woolly thinking going on with many people being unable to distinguish between their own opinions and an objective look at the circumstances and introducing all sorts of irrelevancies but I guess that is par for the course on Mayhem these days.... :((

Colin

MikeA

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 09:25:41 am »

Id dare say top brass had seen it allready and would have probably chuckled themselves until an issue was brought up in the papers. But papers are like that arnt they, if nothing interesting is happening they print any old proverbial to fill up a collumn. Like i previously mentioned who of us wouldve even bothered even watching it if it wasnt raised on here?

nick_75au

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:59 am »

I disagree Colin but cant quite get my thoughts across in words neatly but having been in the Navy when a "crossing the line" video came to light in the media, this sort of thing does go on in these sorts of jobs where you put your life on the line, the stress of the job needs to be countered with some sort of high jinks, the brass know this and condone it I think (just not in public :} ). Obviously some things do cross the line (pun intended) and are usually dealt with internally. Joe public does not understand the stress and the need to relieve it so are quick to criticize.

Nick

andyn

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 10:28:17 am »

Have you watched it yourself Colin? Because if not, your opinion on the matter is not valid....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.