Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Pack battery pack  (Read 1929 times)

MichaelK

4 Pack battery pack
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:57:40 am »

Hi,
With a normal 4 pack AA battery pack, you get 6v(+ or - ) :-))
Is there any way to use the same plastic pack to get 1.5v ?  {:-{
I tried this afternoon, but couldn't figure out a way to get the batteries in series (parallel?? )
In series, (or is it parallel), you should get 1.5v with lots of amp hrs. Is this correct ? <:(
 Mick

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 4 Pack battery pack
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:20 am »

Yep ... parallel = positive to positive to positive etc on one lead, negative to negative to negative etc on the other lead = 1.5v  at each cells amperage x number of cells.
          series   = positive to negative to positive to negative etc with one lead at the first negative and the other at the last negative = 1.5v x number of cells voltage at a single cell amperage.

Regards
Pirate

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:59 am »

Hi M...K  You said 'plastic pack', do you mean that it is a sealed pack with the connections welded?  If so, no, the only way is with electronics, but why?

Many years ago I used to do series parallel for the drive batteries for speed control, if the cells are all separate then you can use a ganged switch to do it, that might cost more than another set of batteries.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:24:39 am »

With a normal 4 cell holder, the cells are wired in series.  Converting to parallel (all positives connected together, all negatives together) would involve some tricky surgery on the battery terminals, with no guarantee that in use it would continue to hold together.  Using a flat-4 holder would be much more likely to work than modifying a square4 holder.
Like roycv says, why?  It would make more sense to use a single C or D cell, and holders for these are available.  A 4 pole two way switch would probably take more space than the battery, and could weigh more.
I am assuming dry cells, since you mention 1.5v and 6v rather than the 1.2 and 4.8v normally expected from the rechargeable ones in sealed packs.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

MichaelK

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:50:54 am »

Thanks for that info.I thought that there might be some serious surgery needed to make it work!
I'll have a look at a flat pack, maybe it will be much less hastle, or go to D cells'
Mick

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:14:21 am »

Don't go anywhere near a plastic battery holder with a soldering iron in your fist. It will melt away very rapidly!
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.