Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP needed to kit out powerboat please  (Read 12851 times)

Ade the Blade

Re: HELP needed to kit out powerboat please
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »

Sorry again to steal the thread hope people don,t mind what,s the difference between inrunner /outrunner sorry mods i may have nicked this thread opp,s   Regards Ade

F1 madness

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »

the difference between inrunner and outrunner

Inrunners have a rotating, wire wound, armature spinning within a magnet-lined can.

Outrunners have a rotating magnet-lined bell, spinning around a wire-wound fixed stator.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

hey mart
imo opinion 1 of those motors on its own is not big enough on its own
the only reason his are reaching that speed in that size hull is hes running low kv on low volts for the kv so he can spin bigger props also theres 2 sharing the load
look at my saga cat it ran 2 x 2860 motors but 1 on its wouldnt of shifted it
i ran a 500 size outrunner in a 37" mono it struggled to get on plane but 2 of them would of been ballistic
from what th op said he wants it fast and 1 of them without running more than 6s wont b that fast,then hes looking big money for a HV esc

realistically this hull needs more than 6s in my opinion to make it really move along,but its big money and will cost nearly all his budget on decent HVesc
so iv tried to advise as close to his budget as poss but decent quality hardware and motor and esc

I have seen one single t 600 1100 kv motor push a 36 sprintcat to close to 50+mph and more than one push 35- 40" monos into the high 30s low 40s.I would think one on its own he would see 35-40 mph,personally id run 8s not 6s.His hull is only 9" wide even though it is 40" long so depending on weight i think one of these would push it fine.One thing i do know is why pay £120 for a leopard when the turnigy or hi model outrunners will perform just as well if not better at a  fraction of the cost,heck theyre so cheap why not put two in,even with the extra cost of esc and battery its still cheaper than a leopard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgn5vhOdZQ

F1 madness

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:44 pm »

the problem is mart its not just an extra motor and esc, 2 struts or stingers,flexis,coupler,motormounts,props etc which will throw his budget way over what he he said
yes single setup is defo cheaper
the reason i posted the leopard is iv had a good run of them,never had an ounce of trouble like iv had of the cheappo motors,which in the end has cost more buying cheappo motors rather than just buying a decent 1 to start with
and a cat has less hull in the water than a deep vee so is naturally going to be quicker a mono does need a bit more to move it along

1 thing i have noticed is the OP aint replied yet LOL,he needs to be the 1 to give more info in what he wants out of it,at the end of the day its his boat

Ade the Blade

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »

Hi F1 madness pm sent Thanks again Ade.

CF-FZG

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:09 pm »

the difference between inrunner and outrunner

Inrunners have a rotating, wire wound, armature spinning within a magnet-lined can.

Outrunners have a rotating magnet-lined bell, spinning around a wire-wound fixed stator.

The inrunner you've described is a brushed motor - a brushless inrunner has the magnets on the rotor and the wire wound stator inside the can, same as the outrunner but inside out :-))

However, it's a very interesting and informative thread :-))

Mark

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:06 am »

Daz the motors ive linked are every bit as good if not better than many more expensive motors at a  fraction of the price according to the guys ive spoken to,the only downside to some is theyre outrunners not inrunners but to me thats also a plus as they tend to run cooler,everyone who has tried them seem to love them and i havent seen anything bad about either one,now the cheaper esc,s sure they seem a bit hit and miss but the motors ive heard nothing but good about them.I linked the video of that cat as proof they run great however there are plenty of monos using them that run very well,i see no reason why the 1100 kv outrunner wouldnt run well maybe as well as the leopard you linked 1300 kv as outrunners have more oomph lol.
Mart
ps these are not 500 size mottors theyre 600 the can is 49 mm diam x 30 mm long and output shaft is 6 mm diam,including the shaft theyre 78 mm long,theyre beefy motors and well made.A good indication as how good they are is theyre allways on backorder because everyone wants them and the price has gone up quite a bit but theyre still cheap.

F1 madness

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 11:09:04 am »

Hi mart
i know its a 600 motor,but i was using the mine as a reference
yes outrunners have more torque and have more poles thats why they are more effiecent aswell which is why they run cooler,but i would still use watercooled mounts
but a 600 outrunner 1100kv on 6s wont be that quick,then theres the problem of running such big prop on the narrow hull,prop torque will be an issue,hence going higher kv on 6s and smaller prop will reduce the prop torque and allow the hull to run more stable which in turn means more speed,trim tabs are not always the answer especially if it had to run them lower than the line of the hull,they wil just act like a brake and slow the boat down
but again you cant compare a cat running on that motor to a mono,2 completely different hulls and the sprint cat has less hull the water compared to mono so a mono has more drag in turn slowing the boat down even more
Im not saying those motors are bad motors iv never run 1,but im going of what iv run and the leopard motors are strong performers
and just because they say 2.7kw unless hes running the volts through the motor on 6s  it will be nowhere near that sort of output
they only have the ooomph if you put the power to them

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »

I think i said run it on 8s should have plenty of oomph then ,2 x 4s giving 8s should work

F1 madness

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »

Mart i agree he should run more than 6s but his budget will be swallowed up by HV esc
look at this 1
swordfish 240HV esc
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1205
HV esc are not that cheap,turnigy do a 120HV esc but that wouldnt be any benefit as the amps is to low on the esc
im designing a new tunnel,40" with 7.5outboard but ill be running 1 of the above esc on a leopard 5692 1340kv on 8s,but it aint cheap and the motor and esc alone is more than his budget
The end of the day as i said before its up to the op which route he takes and his budget.

jms8186

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 06:50:19 pm »

hi to all sorry only just back on internet since posting message
thanks for all the responces
im still looking through all the links that have been posted

i was hoping to have this boat done in afew months but have now decided to take abit longer doing this project which means i can spend  more than my budget (with out the mrs noticing).
one thing i thougth i better say is that the boat will be running in seawater 85% of the time i dont know if that means i can run some of the gear.

many thanks to all

MikeA

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:10:26 am »

thought youd gone. Anyway seeing as your back i thought id help and bring the price down a bit. Wont be much mind but im a budget builder myself.
ok then:
motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17698__XK4082_1500KV_Brushless_Inrunner.html

you could try this cheap esc but be warned there qc can be a bit dodgy and the stated amps are bit exadurated:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15134__Hobbyking_SS_Boat_Series_200A_ESC.html

here same esc from uk supplier a little dearer maybe but if it goes wrong then this supplier will be easier to deal with:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HK-B200A-SS-Boat-Series-200A-ESC-/260755308947?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cb63a4193

if they get some instock youd be better with this though:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8937__Turnigy_Marine_180A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html

cooling jacket not much cheaper than aztec but if your really up for it you can make your own!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250909776397?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

slightly smaller jacket but not sure if its will inhibit cooling:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250825579811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

motor mounts and servo mounts can be made for pennies. I made mine out of a steel ruler from pound shop! :-)) All cooling plumbing can be made from a bit of aluminium tube  but youl still need silicone pipe from prestwich:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERCOOLING-BIG-BORE-SILICONE-TUBE-2m-tubing-G-rc-boat-/150688077620?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2315b59734

youl need 2 of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17253__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_3S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack.html

one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-balancer-Charger-2S-3S-UK-STOCK-FREE-POSTAGE-/330621511671?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4cfa93e7f7

one of these 2 run it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-12V-1A-Power-Supply-Converter-Adapter-/170719929570?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item27bfb364e2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120718170636?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

anything ive missed off then i couldnt find cheaper. It is possible to actually use a normal propshaft and coupling for a surface drive rather then a stinger and flexi coupling. That would save you 30 quid but i dont know how well it would work on a boat your size and power

MikeA

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:16 am »

the 2 lipos motor batteries and esc come to 107 pound including pnp from hobbyking, the charger and volt checker can come from hobby king too if they got any instock. Ifi was honest with you the esc will be failing part if anything as its really cheap, the other stuff is ok though. youl either be lucky with that esc of youl have bought some proverbial substance!

oh and while i remeber running in salt water. Try to use stainless steel and aluminum as much as possible. Make sure the boat is fully dry after each run and if you use a flexi drive remove it and dry it thoroughly after every run other wise 24 hours and it will be seazed solid.

F1 madness

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:05 am »

@JMS
No probs it willl certainly widen the the choice of setups
What sort of speed do you want from this build
Running in saltwater not a problem just make sure you flush the cooling system through after every run and remove,clean and regrease the flexi also
what sort of budget you looking at now as its really worth stepping upto 8s for sure,this way youll have longer run times,stronger running performance
What i would do first now is get all the hardware so you can get the hull prepped and drill the holes for mounting everything as im sure youll want to repaint etc,also youll need a canopy that can be taped down to seal the hull

@Madmike
Those 200HK esc are crap they not worth the money,i ran 1 of these,average amps 115 and the esc fried not worth the hassle.
hes better with turnigy 180 or swordfish 200.or HV esc if he decides to up the volts
as for making a servo mount and motor mount there will alot strain on these youll be surprised,so again not worth messing around with,just buy the proper jobs and epoxy these in.
But the other thing now that might not be any good depending on how he reworks his budget.
especially if he ups to 8s,he can just run 2 x 4s packs in series

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:05 pm »

Daz i know you dont like those esc but plenty of people have had good sucess with them,i agree with Mike they may work just fine might be worth a try on 6 s,i have two here ill be trying,we shall see if they are rubbish or not.Pate who has my apache with the twin setup did have one of them fail but the two he has in there now are working just fine,he has since told me a faulty motor caused the other esc to fail.Hes had a few of these esc,s and only that one has failed so he must be lucky ? lol.Incidently he tells me the air version is better than the marine but you must then add water cooling yourself.
MART

MikeA

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »

i would dare say that the esc IS pants but if it works it works. There are some complaints but its allways case with everything, people will write something up when they dont work but never do when they do work. if he wants to run 8s then that charger and those batteries wont be any good. I actually have one of those mini turnigy chargers and when i bought it i was skeptical but its actually very good and balances the cells very well! I build all my own motor and servo mounts, it depends on your engineering abilites and needs must when your on a budget. At the end of the day if you build a mount and it fails go back to the drawing board and design a stronger one, buying one would be the last resort for me personally. Got to admit though those mounts are nice to look at. Anyway ill butt out because im out of my depth now  :((
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.