Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1/144 fletcher class destroyer  (Read 14509 times)

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell 1/144 fletcher class destroyer
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »

Haaa! I had wondered what had happened to your progress but at the same time, your thread had been pushed down the listing and so out of sight is out of mind.

Sad to hear your motors "kicked the bucket." I'm no expert on nomenclature but are/were your motors 280's? Cannot imagine they were underpowered so was there any binding or drag in the drivetrain (shafts, couplers, prop struts)? I think it important to have motors that provide more than scale speed if needed to escape the danger of various obstacles, high waves, water beasts and so forth.

I think you need a 'sea' with no seaweed.
~Harq

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »

Hi, the props turned freely, and I can't remember where I got the motors now, but they were sold as 'micro-motors' and the sales description said suitable for plastic conversions, but they just never seemed to have the power. I think I've got some graupner speed 300's lurking somewhere, but I'm moving house at the moment so obviously everything I want is in an unknown box! If I've not got motors I'll probably buy some speed 300's or similar, as long as they're rated for at least 7.2v and have another go.

Definite need to get new props now though, whilst transporting the model the kit props snapped some blades!

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

Bump/BTT.

So, did you replace the props and motors? Since Glen made such an impact with his aftermarket props from Prop Shop (on his Lindberg Fletcher build), why not use a suitably sized set from them?

A thing I find very useful is a cradle/tote for transporting boats to and from the lake. Something that lets the rudder and props not have to support the weight of the model but hang freely in the air. Doesn't have to be elaborate and can even be a modified cardboard box.
~Harq

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »

Been very gradually moving house over the last month, and still tryin to sort out everything in the new place, I did find the spare graupner motors I've got, a couple of speed 300's, 7.2v and on the box it says something about 1.41amps max. Having difficulty removing the old props, the kits props had no thread and as such were glued to the shafts, and are proving tricky to remove, I've got a couple of 3 blade props that I'll try.

As for the cradle, I've 'liberated' some rubber straps from work and got some off cuts of ply to try and make a stand for transporting. I've got 3 nearly ready to sail boats at the moment and am having trouble to find time to do any of them! Still need to look into getting a mixer and a couple of micro esc's.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:05 am »

The props, if as supplied, will probably be the right size and shape.  When I did my Lindberg tug many years ago, I used the kit prop but found that it was more inclined to act as a sideways paddle.  Since I, too, had epoxied it to the shaft, I wound up re-profiling the edges the hard way - in situ, using a sanding stick.  Took time, but the results were worth the effort. 
On my Tuna boat, I just used the kit prop, but a few years down the line I managed to break it and replaced it with a home made one according to the tugboatjoe method, soldered to the shaft.  Something like a Fletcher, with its higher performance, does deserve better, though.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 10:49:10 am »

So true. On the Fletcher I am soon to introduce to the Forum my props are the cheap 2 blade props. She fairly moves along however so performance is not an issue. I will leave it at that as its what is seen on top of the water people see. I will go into correct scale on my next Fletcher build.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.