Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Charybdis build  (Read 25474 times)

cheekyninja

Re: HMS Charybdis build
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 05:31:53 pm »

Get a Morskie Profile on Naiad Number 67  and Ensign 2 Dido class . google for suppliers , they are out there.

I have Norman friedmans book - it is a great book  about  British cruisers and there are some photos of the class
but none of Charybdis herself though there is some text about her.
The book is well worth having as a reference book but may not be much use to you for your current build.

Geoff

Gents, many thanks.  I will hold off for the moment on Friedman's book and look around for the Morskie Profile publication.

The decks are drying and held in place by lots of rubber bands, so she suddenly looks rather stripy.  I also drilled a few holes and used short lengths of dowel to pin the decks in place and stop them wandering. 

So they are on.  No changing my mind now!

cheekyninja

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 09:08:13 pm »

Another quick post.  I removed the rubber bands and rubbed the decks down a little.  I also glued on the strips that will be the knuckle at the bow - I will try and blend them into the hull with a mix of my razor plane and sandpaper.

That can dry overnight...

cheekyninja

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »

I got out the razor plane and carefully shaped the wood I glued on last night.

Then some filler - I might have to do several layers to produce a nice smooth grading between the knuckle and the rest of the hull.

Excuse the blurred image...

cheekyninja

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:40 pm »

One last update before Christmas Day.  Added the last few bits to support the coamings on the forecastle.  I have also been sanding the hull again in preparation for card plating  I did cut out the armoured belt out of balsa to stick on, but I only had 3/32" wood which looked rather too thick.  So I nipped to the model shop and got some 1/16" ply - not been able to recut them yet (tidying the flat).

That is it for a few days. 

Merry Christmas!

TheOriginalIanG

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 04:34:40 pm »

Hello there - I thought it was about time I uploaded my first post to this site...

Merry Christmas, and congratulations on the rapid progress. Been looking through Dad's book collection and there's a reasonable scale schematic drawing of HMS Charybdis as well as a couple of photos showing the 4.5" turrets and mounting in Raven and Roberts "British Cruisers of World War II".

cheekyninja

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 09:14:35 pm »

Merry Christmas, and congratulations on the rapid progress. Been looking through Dad's book collection and there's a reasonable scale schematic drawing of HMS Charybdis as well as a couple of photos showing the 4.5" turrets and mounting in Raven and Roberts "British Cruisers of World War II".
Thanks - that would be a book I would like to get hold of, but it is a bit steep on Amazon/eBay/everywhere online that sells it!  I will have a trip to the local library to see if they can get it on a loan.

I lied about not doing any work for a few days.  Between eating yesterday's leftovers and watching penguins hijack aeroplanes I have also done some more to the hull.  I have glued the armour belt on (1/16" ply - just visible in the image below).  One side slipped down a mm or so, so I added a little strip (pins in the picture) to even it up.

I also added some milliput around where the propshaft leaves the hull.  I will sand it smooth when it sets.

That is a hopeless photo but thought I would add it all the same. So a bit of sanding and filling and I will be able to start plating

cheekyninja

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:29 pm »

Today I sanded down the armoured belt and also smoothed the milliput a little.  This had taken hours to cure, maybe it is getting a touch old.  I also started plating the hull.  I have used watercolour painting paper and stuck it in place with woodglue.  I have looked at some photos and diagrams but am more interested in trying to break up the appearance of the box hull so there is more than a little bit of artistic licence in the plate layout (the overlaps?), but in any case she is semi-scale.  I also feels like the hull is a bit tougher when I tap it.

Otherwise I am pleased with the starboard side, so I will do the port tomorrow.  Need to paint a chair tonight.

Then once both sides are done I will use varnish to seal the paper.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »

Did you use PVA glue?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cheekyninja

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

Did you use PVA glue?

Bob

Hi Bob.  Yes I used normal PVA, the paper seems absorb it well and sticks pretty quick.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »

When I last did some plating in paper I also covered the outside of the plating with 2 coats of PVA.
This was purely belt and braces as some PVA will have soaked through the paper so covering it all in PVA gave a uniform base coat.
This was to ensure there wasn't any local reaction to the next coat and could  be replicated off the model to try the next coat to ensure no reaction.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cheekyninja

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »

When I last did some plating in paper I also covered the outside of the plating with 2 coats of PVA.
This was purely belt and braces as some PVA will have soaked through the paper so covering it all in PVA gave a uniform base coat.
This was to ensure there wasn't any local reaction to the next coat and could  be replicated off the model to try the next coat to ensure no reaction.

Bob

Hi Bob.  I had not thought of doing it that way.  I am planning to use the same method as I tried on a previous model.  With that I had used a water based varnish - the first coat got absorbed by the paper but after a few it was sealed with a glossy finish. Then I painted the enamel paint as normal onto that.   So I guess it is not properly waterproof until the enamel goes on but gives a nice surface to work on.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 11:30:27 pm »

The way you have used before is usually favourite as you have tried it before and it works.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cheekyninja

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »

I have been working on the port side plating today. 

Will leave it a few hours before applying the varnish.

cheekyninja

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

Happy (belated) New Year!

The last week has been taken up with sealing and sanding the hull, not look terribly exciting to photograph.  But today I have started adding the coamings at the stern - they are only about 8mm high, so I might also add a catch or magnet to help hold the deckhouses in place. So work is progressing again.

SernPost Sam

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 04:47:19 pm »

It's starting to look a real solid job now! :-)

bobk

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 04:57:19 pm »

Nice one !  Plating and coamings look good. 
Bob

cheekyninja

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:42 pm »

It's starting to look a real solid job now! :-)
Thank you!

Nice one !  Plating and coamings look good. 
Bob
Many thanks, I quite enjoy doing the plating.

I had high plans to do the coamings on the forecastle, but after 'a bit of a day' at work I can't quite face it tonight.  So I have done the other set on the quarterdeck. 

Can't help but notice I have uploaded a lot of photos where not much changes - if you scroll down the page really fast maybe the build proceeds a bit quicker.   :-)

TheOriginalIanG

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:54 am »

Neat job on the coamings!

Just a quick note from my Dad: apparently the 4.5" gun turrets on the Charybdis were of the same (Mk 3) type that were used on the wartime Ark Royal. Might be useful if you need to source more photos of the turrets...

cheekyninja

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 08:08:17 pm »

Neat job on the coamings!

Just a quick note from my Dad: apparently the 4.5" gun turrets on the Charybdis were of the same (Mk 3) type that were used on the wartime Ark Royal. Might be useful if you need to source more photos of the turrets...
Ian, cheers.  I had not thought that far ahead(!).  I have been busy finding pictures of Ark Royal for the photo archive - she seems more photographed than Charybdis.

I decided I would get the coamings fitted before any more posts.  I fitted the forecastle ones and made them oversize before planing them back a bit for neatness.  I found these ones a lot harder than on the quarterdeck as I have built in some deck sheer.  Anyway, I will have to do a bit of filling and final sanding before I varnish them.

cheekyninja

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:52 am »

Quick update as it has been a few days.  Have been working today on central removeable deckhouse and also the fixed deckhouse forward of it - thought I would do the simpler shapes first.

cheekyninja

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

Have started one of the rear deckhouses and also one on the forecastle.  That way I can work on two at a time and hopefully not clumsily bash one.  The cling film has prevented any removeable features becoming permanent (so far!).

The forward one is a bit of a pain as the deck has sheer so had to allow for that.

I have a four day weekend, so my aim is to get the basic deckhouses done before I go back to work.  He says...

cheekyninja

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »

Today's work.  There are 5 removeable deckhouses in all (decided to name them D1 - D5 from the bow).

Magnets added to coaming for D3.  D5 also taking shape...

Double height deckhouses D1 and D2 at slightly different stages.  The thing on the radiator is D4.

Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

cheekyninja

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »

Think I will have to stop for tonight.  D2 - D4 are complete, glued and sanded smooth.  D5 needs some remedial work so I will have to leave that for the weekend. 

Have got the basic structure of the forward deckhouse D1 in place.  I have put in place some balsa that will take a few more bits of plywood to give it the correct shape.  Then I will sand it down before adding the deck to it.

Not quite managed to get all I had hoped to do, but am pleased anyway.  Starting to look like a boat now.

cheekyninja

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »

Thought I would try and get finished what I started last weekend.  Have been concentrating on the deckhouses 1 and 2.  1 now has its faceted front, while I have also added a little extra shape to the back of the second deckhouse.  Anyway they are all glued, sanded, fillered and sanded smooth again.  Also put filler onto numbers 3 and 4, but they look largely the same so have not bothered putting any pictures up.  Need to get round to adding the top to the fixed deckhouse behind D2.  Have done some preliminary sanding and filling to that as well (can just see the white unsanded filler in the pictures).

There seems to be a problem with postimage tonight so have attached pictures via the other method. 

So of the five deckhouses it is now just troublesome number 5 to be finished...  Also bought some 0.8mm plywood yesterday for the rest of the bridge and the funnels.

Capt Podge

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »

Looks like your "Cherrie B", as she was affectionately known in the RN, is shaping up nicely  :-))

Watching this thread with interest as I'm hoping to build something similar later this year  ;D

Regards,

Ray.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.