Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Charybdis build  (Read 25473 times)

cheekyninja

Re: HMS Charybdis build
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 08:00:18 pm »

Looks like your "Cherrie B", as she was affectionately known in the RN, is shaping up nicely  :-))
Watching this thread with interest as I'm hoping to build something similar later this year  ;D
Regards,
Ray.

Hi Ray.  Many thanks, glad to hear you are enjoying it.  However as my commute has just jumped to an hour and a half each way she may take considerably longer to finish than I first thought!

cheekyninja

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

Hot on the heels of the last post I thought I would show the little bit I have done tonight.  D5 was a mess and had not clamped together as I had hoped when I took it off to examine it.  So I cut it up a bit and added a few bits that fit better.

Some progress for the night, at least.

cheekyninja

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »

Well, today I managed to get the sternmost deckhouse finished (finally!).

So the basic superstructure blocks are now done.  I also glued the deck onto the superstructure immediately aft of the bridge - tomorrow I will sand it down.

So the next thought I have is what to start working on next...  I might make a start on the bridge itself.  Or get the anchors and capstan details at the bow done so I can give the boat a coat of paint ready for bath testing.  Will decide tonight.

cheekyninja

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »

I decided after thinking about it that I want to get the bulwark that sits amidships fitted.  This blends into housings for searchlights and the 2 pounder pompoms, so today I have been working on these housings.  Nothing fancy, just some blocks made from balsa with a veneer of 0.8mm ply on the outside.

They are not glued yet, but their approximate positions are as in the next photo.  I will make the bulwark out of ply as well - once that is done I can give the hull a layer of primer and have a tank test.

That is if for tonight.  I keep accidentally putting the modelling knife into my thumb so I have taken that as a sign to stop.   :-)

SernPost Sam

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 05:50:07 am »

the build has certainly moved on since I last looked at your website. :-) The superstructure looks very sturdy.
Have you waterproofed the hull yet and advance enough to try a floatation test?

cheekyninja

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 05:48:21 pm »

the build has certainly moved on since I last looked at your website. :-) The superstructure looks very sturdy.
Have you waterproofed the hull yet and advance enough to try a floatation test?
Hi SernPost Sam, thank you. I have applied a water based varnish to seal the hull and plating but I don't trust it enough to put in the water as-is.  I am hoping next weekend to give the hull coat of either Humbrol enamel or else go to Halfords and get a spray can.  (Think I need to find out just how much displacement I have to play with, not least because as I have a tendency to over-engineer things).

Today I have done a little more amidships. The smaller platforms are in place, and one side has its bulwark glued.  Might try and get the other side done tonight.

SernPost Sam

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:52 pm »

Those deckhouses look really strong, firm foundation for all the fittings that go on top of them. %)

cheekyninja

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »

Hi SernPost Sam, fingers crossed, they should hold.

Been working late again this week, so not done much.  However I have finished the bulwarks and have done some filling and sanding, also sealed them with that varnish I have been using.  I am keen to have a flotation test so today have been undercoating the hull.  Which has been like watching paint dry. Bahahaa.

Painting white card with white enamel does not make for a great photo, so photo below is of her underside.  The bottom has had several coats, the sides just one (might be easier to do these in daylight as well).

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »

It has been a while but I finally did some more work.  I put some water in the bath and tested her displacement and she is about 2.4 kilos - actually that is still a bit light but I thought I would aim for this for a little bit of a safety margin.

I decided I would work on the bridge and have been looking at photos of the real thing, models and other diagrams.  There are a series of openings below the bridge deck with what must have been some kind of walkway that only Charybdis and Scylla had.  I could not initially decide if I should add them but they do seem quite prominent in pictures so I retained them.  I have build a box around the inside of them - once the deck is on they will be sealed. 

I also want to add the wind deflector (? is that what it is?) to the front of the bridge, so will model this separately and add later.   Anyway, she now has a head.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »

A little more work done after an otherwise busy Easter weekend - added the back of the bridge.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »

I painted the insides of the walkways black (though looking at them now painting black rectangles would have had the same effect!!) before gluing the bridge deck on.  A bit of filling too to smooth things.  Next  job the wind deflector.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2012, 05:00:34 pm »

I went out today and bought some 0.5mm plywood (how much does a sheet cost?!?? - this is what happens when I read copies of 80's model aeroplane magazines...) to work on the wind deflector.  I am quite enjoying using plywood, generally I have used plastic sheet before.  Anyway, work so far...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »

Looking nice  :-))   I am interested in working with thin ply having normally worked mostly in ABS and styrene sheet.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 01:50:36 pm »

Looking nice  :-))   I am interested in working with thin ply having normally worked mostly in ABS and styrene sheet.
Hi Bob, thanks!  I like plastic and not needing much surface preparation, but PVA and plywood does not honk as much(!).

The rest the wind deflector is done.  I have also been working on the searchlight wings towards the rear of the housing.  Once dry I will add bulwarks round them so the 'step' won't be too obvious.  I have also started putting together a deckhouse forward of the bridge for the 2 pounders.

As a bit of a change I started making the formers for the funnels (just visible in photo).  I made them like wing ribs on a plane, with two ply templates and balsa bolted between and carved them to shape.  Though I have other things to do today so I guess that will have to wait for next time.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

Boring chores can wait for a while, I am enjoying this.  Added the bulwarks and the top of the housing forward of the bridge.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »

Very nice job
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »

Very nice job
Thanks Mike, that is very kind.

Uggh, what weather.  Today I have sanded down what I did last weekend.  I then built the platforms for the 2 pounders/twin 20mm guns, and also built the cabin on the bridge.  There is not too much more that I want to do on this bit for the time being.  There are another two platforms for 20mm cannons, but I might have them fitted to the deck.

I think tomorrow then I will start on the forwardmost deck house - in particular the circular walls that were round the 4.5" guns.  So I am scouring the place for something of the correct diameter to bend the ply round...

Anyone else getting 'Invalid format' when trying to upload pictures?

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »

Today's work.  I decided to attack the blast shields rather than do the funnels. 

The faceted one at the front of the deckhouse is 1mm ply.  I partially assembled it separately then glued it on.  For the circular shield I found that the lid of one of my wife's spice pots was just about perfect, so I borrowed it.  I cut several strips of 0.5mm ply that were 11mm wide, and wrapped them round it and held it in place with clamps as the PVA dried. 

Then it sat on the radiator to dry quickly.  I then sanded it smooth and glued it on.  The next two are of how it looks in place.

There are numerous buttresses on the inside.  I can't find any info on their shape, so I think I will make them triangular-ish.  There is also another deckhouse immediately behind the circular (splinter?) shield, currently the bits are drying prior to assembly.

Better to let it all dry thoroughly for a few hours...

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2012, 05:51:56 pm »

One more before I stop.  Started working on the splinter and blast shields for 'X' gun - I love this thin plywood.

I chamfered the ends of the strip before I wound it round the lid, which helped keep the circle a bit neater.  Learning as I go.  :)

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »

Bit of a lazy day today.  Got the shelter for the crew of 'B' gun glued on, and worked on the funnels before I end up losing the formers I made for them.

I let some 1/4" square into the formers so they were at the correct spacing and then glued 0.5mm ply round them.  That is currently drying (rubber bands holding it in place).  Tomorrow will have a first sanding to smooth, then will add another layer of 0.5mm. 

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

Added another layer of 0.5mm ply to both the funnels and then sanded it back smooth - I love the contour effect that produces.  I then added the caps from lite ply and shaped them.  For the moment that is it for the funnels, as I have not decided on what I want to do for the baskets on top.

Otherwise I have just been adding filler and sanding things down a bit.  Have started making the splinter shield for 'Y' gun.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »

Not done much today.  Just added the housing for the after funnel to sit on, and finished the blast shield for 'X' gun.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:07 pm »

Turning out very nice, and I will keep watching with interest for updates.  Admired your build enough to decide to build my own but taking the easier option  I have just bought the fleetscale 1/128th fg Dido class hull and will be building as Argonaut with the full five 5.25 turret set.

cheekyninja

• Shipmate
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »

Turning out very nice, and I will keep watching with interest for updates.  Admired your build enough to decide to build my own but taking the easier option  I have just bought the fleetscale 1/128th fg Dido class hull and will be building as Argonaut with the full five 5.25 turret set.
Hi Mike.  Thank you, glad to hear you are enjoying this build.  That hull must be quite a size at 1/128th?  I rather like these anti aircraft cruisers - it would be good one day to build an earlier 5.25" fitted ship and also one of the Bellonas at the same scale.  But at the rate I am going with this build ideas like that are a lonnnngggg way off.  :)

It has been gloriously sunny this weekend which means by the law of averages I have been ill (!!!).  Ugggh.  Anyway I have done a little more to the ship.  The shelter for the crew of 'X' gun is added and the filler is drying.  I also added the splinter shield for 'Y' gun.  It is the same size as the other but it looks a bit big on the quarterdeck.  Looking at photos though I think that the real ship had a fuller stern, whereas pulling in the sides has made it a bit more slender on my model.

I also added a little extra shape to the deck house that will take the main mast, and have begun building the tub for 'A' gun.  With the filler added it looks like a cake.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2012, 09:12:39 pm »

Its not too overly big - 48 inches length.  Arrived yesterday and quite a nice hull it is too.  Also ordered the main fittings of TTs, turrets, funnels and directors and a few other minor ones.  Wont be starting for a couple of months yet as I have another build on the go but it does give me some time to do some planning of the build.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.