Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI staff post Controversial film  (Read 11317 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RNLI staff post Controversial film
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 10:58:01 am »

Mike,

Yes the papers do misreport and blow up things out of proportion but that's what they do, and that is why people buy them because they like reading this sort of thing. People tend to buy the papers which most closely reflect and reinforce their own views and prejudices. However I rather doubt that the sort of people who head up the RNLI would have found this sort of humour particularly amusing, it's something most people grow out of. But by putting the video into the public domain the people responsible have practically invited the press in and shouldn't be too surprised at the consequences.

Nick,

You make a perfectly fair point that 'boys will be boys' (or girls) but I think it more of an age thing than down to the dangers of the job. The lifeguards undoubtedly do a good job (when they are lifeguarding) but I don't think that in the normal course of their duties they face anything like the hazards lifeboatmen or servicemen/women on active service do. Their job is a responsible one but I would doubt if they regard it as stressful, in fact I  bet they enjoy most aspects of it a great deal.

Andy,

Go to the back of the class, you haven't been reading what I've been saying!  <*<  It isn't actually necessary to see the video to make the comments that I have. As it happens I did see a number of stills from it when I was Googling to see what reaction to it was and it's very clear just what it was about - been there, done that sort of thing many years ago. As others have said, just average juvenile schoolboy humour. Nothing the matter with that except the context in which it was done.

Colin

MikeA

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »

Have you watched it yourself Colin? Because if not, your opinion on the matter is not valid....

colin does make a good point. At the end of the day there wasting time, not doing what there paid to do which is monitor peoples safety. If the rnli was privately funded it wouldnt matter but its paid for by taxes and donations and therefore has to keep it hands clean in the public image. However saying that if i had been offended by the video and then decided to go out swimming in a strong current, get into trouble i wouldnt say "how dare you come to my rescue your a disgrace and waste of tax payers money"

andyn

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

I think Colin you'd better watch the video before casting an opinion.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »

Mike, the RNLI itself is 100% privately funded and receives no taxpayer's money directly. However, in the case of the lifeguards my understanding is that they are jointly funded by the RNLI and local authority with the latter meeting the wages cost and the RNLI most of the training and equipment costs so yes, there is some taxpayer funding in respect of that part of the service.

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »

Folks you don't need to watch the video to be able to make some comments (if you don't comment on it's content that is)

Generally and  factually

1 The RNLI in response to the media (the media read by many of those who contribute cash) have had to issue a statement in relation to their employees actions. They are entitled to do that and to investigate the circumstances around the video.

2 There are plenty of instances where employers have sacked people for comments on made on social networking sites (comments not even made on the firms time) that the employer has simply seen as damaging to the business.

Personally

3. I'm a union rep' and I usually take the side of the employee and try to find some mitigation etc but I would find it hard to rep' someone who had put others in danger by larking around whilst they had a duty of care. However nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether they should have been watching swimmers - so until then how can anyone take a final stand on the issue?

Regards Norseman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:20 pm »

Nice to know that somebody largely seems to agree with me!

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »

Nice to know that somebody largely seems to agree with me!

Colin

I think my post # 25 just about agrees with you too Colin

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

I think my post # 25 just about agrees with you too Colin

Ned

Yes, you are quite right of course - it just all seems to long ago.... %)

Colin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.