Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Poxy - clothed or naked?  (Read 1959 times)

ianmcairns

Z-Poxy - clothed or naked?
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:18:43 pm »

I am building a Panart Anteo tug and having experienced problems with the planking in use on another model I intend to cover the hull with polyester or epoxy resin, inside and out. I am thinking of using Z-poxy finishing resin and have read some of the posts here and my question is whether I need to use cloth or can just put the resin straight on? The hull is double planked with lime (bass) wood so should be pretty strong already - or is it just as well to use some cloth. (the hull will be painted).

Also..
The Z-poxy comes in a 12oz set but I have no idea how much that will cover. Any guidance? - the anteo is 90cm long so a fairly big hull.
I seem to recall discussions on here which said that epoxy is better than polyester although the polyester is cheaper - any views?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Z-Poxy - clothed or naked?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »

It is much friendlier on the nose- almost odourless in fact. Plus you get a longer working time (pot life), but it needs to be kept in the warm for it to cure well.

The 12 oz set will be more than sufficient, and I personally would use it with some thin cloth, which will make your hull incredibly strong, as well as waterproof. If you want a really smooth finish, you can roller the epoxy on with a small sponge roller.

Billyruffian

Re: Z-Poxy - clothed or naked?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »

The way I use epoxy for finishing / grain filling - especially on my acoustic guitars - is to mix the epoxy add some silica thickner then slowy add alcohol (meths) until you get a consistency like thick pouring cream.  Apply with spatula (old credit card) across the grain.  When dry sand back with successive lighter grades of sandpaper and all grain and joints should be suitably filled. Apply finish of choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.