Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: OTW Vanguard help  (Read 108942 times)

thegrimreaper

Re: OTW Vanguard help
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2011, 01:31:13 pm »

Father-in-law is going to make me a brass coupling 6mm one end and 4mm the other my seal is in place and held with a nice brass plate photo`s will follow in a few days, should have got on line earlier would have given batfish a shout then for some of his bits but I have been working hard, off at the weekend so more time to spend building

Thanks for the offer batfish and all the help offered so far by all.

Regards Mark

thegrimreaper

« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »

Great news I have ordered the Vanguard hull from OTW will be here in January. :-)) :-))

Been working on the WTC again over the weekend had problems trying to make a solid 6mm to 4mm coupling due to lack of tooling and skills so opted to purchase a ready made 6mm to 4mm U/J for inside the WTC just to take out any slight misalinement will also be fitting on arrival a bearing on the inside of the WTC in the following photos I have neglected to fit the servo horns also the links and rods are not in position yet.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »

Nice. Have you got enough room for the batteries inside there? Things look a bit tight, or are they going in the drink?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2011, 08:31:08 pm »

Good work, Mark...looks really good to me.

Rich

thegrimreaper

« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2011, 08:40:23 pm »

Planing on using 12v SLA batteries Andy in the drink was thinking maybe of using one up front and one in the rear as ballast as well as power all depends on how the sub balances with everything on board

Regards Mark

thegrimreaper

« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2011, 04:22:23 pm »

Think I have a problem with my radio I have a futaba 6EX which is 6 channels but only 4 are proportional with 2 on toggle switches is their a way to change one of these toggle switches so it becomes a proportional channel if this is not possible can anyone recommend a 5 or 6 channel radio on 40 megs FM that isn't going to break the bank

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »

You should be able to convert one or both of the switched channels to proportional control using a potentiometer.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:57 pm »

Thought I could do that  so I got hold of a pot Andy and wired it up but it didn't work all it did was switch the servo from full left to full right with no proportional control at all used a 5 ohm pot will try one of the other switches see how i go on

regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2011, 08:31:15 pm »

5 ohm? That's far too low, do you mean 5000 ohm (5k)?

thegrimreaper

« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »

oopss sorry Andy yes 5 K

sub john

« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »

HI MARK
Does your wires from your toggle switches have a futaba servo plug on the end that plugs into PCB just wondered if you was wiring wires from pots to the right pins on PCB have you got circuit diagram for TX transmitter as i would be able to tell you what to do to make it work failing that if you had some pictures i might be able to tell you from that its one of those job if i had it in front of me and  i could follow the circuit through  and rework it i will have a look on the net to see if i can find a circuit for it. Hope it helps John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:30 pm »

I have a Futaba/Robbe FC16. The pots for the four gimballed sticks are 5k or thereabouts.

I wanted a rotary channel , and used a 1k pot with a 2k resistor on each outer leg; that gives you 5k, but enables one to sweep through the full range of the pot.

I was given a slider pot which is a robbe part, and that uses a 10k potentiometer with a 82k fixed reistor on the centre leg. Both work fine.

I can't say for sure if those values will work on your set, never having owned a 6EX, but I'd be surprised if they're radically different. Unfortunately circuit diagrams are difficult to find for Futaba kit, unless you know a tame service technician that works on them.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

thanks for the info Andy and the offer sub john but.........after a lot of research on the net tonight it seems that what I want to do with the 6EX is impossible due to the software not being able to cope with the changeI have gpt a HiTek laser 6 which is a nice radio setup I use on my Akula so its on the phone in the morning to buy another one of those

thankls again guys for the help

Regards  Mark

batfish

« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:24 pm »

Mark,

Not sure if your still having problems with coupling.

I picked up 2 of these the other day and the brass is solid and heavy. you just cut the tube to required length and thats it.
http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Safety_Couplings.html

Anyway good to hear vanguard is on the way.... Pity not in time for christmas lol

adam

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2011, 10:33:53 am »

what I want to do with the 6EX is impossible due to the software not being able to cope with the change.

That's a pity, sounds like the controls may go directly to a microcontroller, and the switched inputs are routed into digital inputs instead of A/D converters. My FC16 can be tinkered with to your hearts content, but then it is a set that is designed for expansion.

I think in some ways the older sets were easier to work with when it comes to modification.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

agree the old sets much better to tinkle with am now trying to get hold of a hi-tek laser 6 or even an f14 which would be nice to tinker with  cheers Andy

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2011, 11:13:08 am »

Just one thing I'm wondering- if you already have a laser 6 for the Akula, why do you require another set for the Vangaurd- you can only sail one at a time. Or does your missus want to join in?

thegrimreaper

« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:09 pm »

Andy trying to find a 40 MHz hi-tec 6 channel reciever is like trying to get hold of hens teeth have tried shops all over the country with no luck so am thinking of getting another radio just for the Vanguard

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2011, 12:53:42 pm »

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=20031

£8 for a dual conversion receiver is a bit of a bargain, I'm sure you'll agree.  You will need a dual conversion crystal to go with it, and that it must be a Hitec D/C cyrstal. SMC do those too.

8-channel not 6-channel, so if you ever get that F14, you have some extra functions available, should you desire them.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »

Thanks Andy Reciever ordered no duel conversion crystals though so i will have to get some from else where,  you saved me buying a new radio there I owe you a pint at the next dive in

Regards Mark

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »

Right which one will I do next?;)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2011, 01:48:02 pm »

Did you email or phone them to ask what they had in stock?

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=1323

thegrimreaper

« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »

Andy they had a list up on the web site had loads of channels duel conversion but on 35 MHz all the 40 MHz ones were single conversion have just had a look at Andy_k`s suggestion would like that but am very wearey?? of buying off of e-bay especially if the item is outside the country

Regards Mark

thegrimreaper

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2011, 02:21:31 pm »

Question for you Andy if you dont mind- how easy/hard is it to adapt the f-14 yourself can it be done or do you have to buy futaba/graupner parts only ? or is maplin a cheaper option for the bits and pieces?

looking hard at the f-14 now

Regards Mark

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:05 pm »

The F-14 is really basic with no computer. Its really easy to add any old 2/3 position switches from Maplin etc - big saving over buying from Robbe switches. I would be looking to get a FC-16 instead if you can http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FC-16-Boat-Truck-6-8-1-40-M-Futaba-Robbe-F4044-1-F404-/230605753262?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item35b12c8bae - comes with sliders
All my radio gear was bought from Germany - Multiplex Cockpit Sx, Graupner MC-19s and Graupner MC-22s. I also got a bunch of sythesised single and dual conversion Rx's as well so no crystals to buy. These days eBay and Paypal is the safest way to buy things online (and conversely the worst way to sell things) as the buyer always gets the money back no matter what.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.