Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: OTW Vanguard help  (Read 108941 times)

Patrick Henry

Re: OTW Vanguard help
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »

Just get your wallet out, Mark...

thegrimreaper

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »

did that the other month when the daughter got married cost a bl00dy arm and a leg still recovering from that, who said kids were fun ???  <*< <*<

will have to dip into said wallet soon though >>:-( >:-o

Regards Mark

batfish

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:46 pm »

Hi mark,

Electronize> http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

Puffin> 4th motor down various ratio's> http://www.puffinmodels.com/category.php?dept=190

Also Mark, http://www.icare-rc.com/catalog/kpg25-planetary-gearbox-p-966.html?cPath=46_154&osCsid=osnns13d7d84si6rrsn4gep4e5

this motor was avaliable from Puffin. And from what i gather is also avaliable in 6:1 ratio suitable for 500 type motor.

regards
adam

thegrimreaper

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »

Ok guys thanks for all the help over a suitable motor have this morning ordered the MFA/Como motor/gearbox combo call me cheap but it suited my wallet at the princely sum of £22 plus the postage, will be sorting out the simmering seal in the morning which just hapens to be 1/2 mile from my house again guys thanks for the help  :-)) :-)) :-))

Regards Mark

Patrick Henry

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

By heck lad, there's no holding you back when your wallet's open, is there?

I heard all the moths buzzing about from right down here in Sussex!

%)

thegrimreaper

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2011, 06:55:29 pm »

If I want sumfink then I go get everytime without fail after I have asked the wife if its ok ha ha. I keep telling the wife not much more to buy now.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 08:10:58 pm »

Is that BSL you're going to?

If so it's very helpful to have a part number handy.

For a Simrit/Freudenberg simmerring 4mm shaft seal-

BA 4,00 12,00 6,00 72 NBR 902

I'm sure the 4mm seals I have are 11mm outer diameter, so they seem to have changed the spec to 12mm. Not sure why.

They also do a larger seal of 16mm outer diameter, also suitable for 4mm shaft-

BA 4,00 16,00 7,00 72 NBR 902

I prefer the smaller version, but the larger seal is a bit less fiddly.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »

I feel a a question comming on here now Andy, What is it that I am actually going to be getting when I as for the part don't want to look like a clot when I turn up with the part number only to look at the sales person with that oh $3$$ what do I do with this now look on my face. Do I have to make the shafts up by buying brass tube and rod then make a shaft up with the seals bought or are they a complete shaft with the seal insitue. not thick or anything have made shafts up for boats before now but a sub shaft is a differant beast.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:22 am »

They're just a small oil seal. Made from nitrile rubber, with a small spring that grips the shaft, as that bit goes in the free flood area, you should cover it with grease so it doesn't corrode.

I doubt that BSL will have them in stock- they'll have to order them in, so I'd give them a call first.

They're designed to be a mild press fit into a machined housing. You have quite thick end caps, so you could drill into that, and press it in there.  The commercial units use a machined aluminium housing.

Davy1

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:15 am »

I must say that I very much like Simrit shaft seals. Used on all my subs and last for years. I have only ever used them with 4mm stainless steel shaft and I would recommend that. I have heard of people having problems with the lip cutting a groove in the shaft. Worth keeping the rotational speed down also for this reason. (I think I read 3000 rpm somewhere.)

Just an answer to an earlier question. Do be careful about advice. It is very easy to be an "expert" on the web and it can easily happen that the advice can become very expensive for the recipient. I always trust people more if they don't know everything and admit to a few mistakes. O0

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2011, 12:17:57 pm »

There has been ample opportunity for the trustworthy types to contribute to this thread. Unfortunately, in some cases it seems they have more enthusiasm for trolling instead.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »

BTW, unless Bob at OTW has changed the spec of his kit, if you buy the propulsor with it, it should come complete with a 4mm stainless steel shaft threaded at both ends. The propulsor shroud should have two phosphor bronze bearings pressed in.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »

I don't think anybody has claimed to be an "expert" in this thread and advice or recommendations that are offered can be taken or left as to any one person trusting people "if they don't know everything" that person must trust a lot of people, because nobody born knows everything, also the man who has not made a mistake has also never been and never will be born,so why admit to mistakes made when we know they have been made.

Have been in touch with BSL and according to them the 4mm seal is no longer available soooooo I phoned BSL`s suppliers and asked them, the closest seal they do to the measurement's required is 6mm X 12mm X 5mm. I was very supprised at the quoted price for 10 of these seals. Any way I think I will go for the larger inner diameter fitting a universal joint 4mm motor end and 6mm the other end 6mm stainless rod through the seal then another 6mm both end universal joint or could possibly make a sleeve 4mm into 6mm and do away with one universal joint.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2011, 03:29:09 pm »

Well that's a shame, I got that product number from the Simrit website. I wonder if they've just stopped distributing that size?

The number for my 4mm seals is BA 4 11 6, so you could try Brammers with that.

The three numbers represent internal diameter, external diameter and thickness respectively. If they've discontinued that seal too, there's going to be a lot of brassed-off model submarine owners out there, as that seal is used in a lot of German manufactured kits!

Freudenberg/Simrit aren't the only game in town for small oil seals. Simply bearings do a 4mm shaft seal, and they're reasonably priced with cheap postage. Haven't tried this make, but it has all the right ingredients-

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p24002/4x12x6mm+Nitrile+Rubber+Rotary+Shaft+Oil+Seal+R21+/+SC/product_info.html

Perhaps some other people here could suggest possible sources.

Andy

Davy1

« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »

Some years ago I bit the bullet and ordered a minimum order number of Simrits so I have a lifetime supply. I think more conservative ordering may be a better idea.  :-)
I have ordered O rings from Simply some months ago and they gave very good service. At the same time I noticed that they stocked Simrits. Maybe not now??

thegrimreaper

« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2011, 05:53:31 pm »

Ordered from simply in St Helens only ordered 3. 1st one to bu$$er up  :o  2nd one to get nearly right  <*< 3rd one to do the job   :-))

Regards Mark

Patrick Henry

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »

I like your thinking, Mark... :-))

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:38 pm »

The important thing is to chamfer the hole so nothing sharp cuts into the rubber seal. My Simrit seals are about 0.25mm oversize to provide a mild interference fit into a 11mm hole. A smear of grease or light oil wiped around the outside of the seal helps.

Albion

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:02 am »

Have been in touch with BSL and according to them the 4mm seal is no longer available soooooo I phoned BSL`s suppliers and asked them, the closest seal they do to the measurement's required is 6mm X 12mm X 5mm. I was very supprised at the quoted price for 10 of these seals. Any way I think I will go for the larger inner diameter fitting a universal joint 4mm motor end and 6mm the other end 6mm stainless rod through the seal then another 6mm both end universal joint or could possibly make a sleeve 4mm into 6mm and do away with one universal joint.
I think the Engel ones are 4mm
http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=92_93&products_id=539&osCsid=eck3e13ans9d63bo6rcquqo0q6
They work pretty good for me

thegrimreaper

« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2011, 05:28:19 pm »

Motor and gearbox arrived today now working out a system of attachment dont know weather to go the Sheerline way fixing onto the end plate or make up a mount to sit/fix to the rear tek rack.

Regards Mark

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2011, 07:51:17 pm »

My drive motor is the stamdard unit from OTW. It's shaft seal is a very well put together unit and I have some drawings somewhere!! I do also have a propellor fromPropshop I could sell you, too, if you are in need of one? £30 plus post or you could pick it up at the next dive in....... ok2   Includes the shaft. I can supply more details if yer interested!
Good luck with the build - I enjoyed the painting and weathering the most - trimming made my hair fall out! :embarrassed:
Jim

thegrimreaper

« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »

thanks for the offer of the prop Jim but I will be going for the impeller that OTW supply for the extra few quit Bob charges it would be naughty not to and anyway I have saved a shed load of cash by building the WTC my self which I am indebeted to a few people on here for their help and tips, and i am quite proud of. wouldnt mind a peek at them drawings though Jim O0

Regards Mark.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

seals have arrived in this mornings post I am told, so tonight will be makeing an attempt to fit said seals, and then the motor to the WTC, then if all go`s well will be testing out in the upstairs water test tank .

Regards Mark.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »

Stood standing by for the swearing...   {-)

thegrimreaper

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2011, 04:53:10 pm »

You will be stood standing for a long time then  {-) no swearing from me going to look  and test and look and test and make sure that everything lines up and is squared up proper like so that I have two spare seals and dont have to put my hand in my pocket again for seals anyway. Am sat at work at the moment trying to come up with a carrier piece that will make the job easier have looked at the AMS site at a very old photo of a gizzmo that David came up with millions of years ago in another galaxy (oooppsss) and am thinking of trying to adapt that.

Regards Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.