Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: OTW Vanguard help  (Read 109202 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: OTW Vanguard help
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

Glad the penny dropped. When the master was scribed about 12 years ago, the reference information wasn't too easy to come by. I think it's the same story for the other gratings too, although I've not seen any pictures of those.
Another piccie-

thegrimreaper

« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »

now I know what I should have looked at at first I thought I had got the shape wrong and was going to have to hit the filler sooo soon  :embarrassed: but then when I sat and studied the picture you posted after about 10 mins I saw your point and the second picture (in my defence if you had posted the second picture first  ok2 ok2) is even clearer.

Thanks again Andy

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »

Stop making excuses- it shows the vents correct on the plan anyway, so there!

thegrimreaper

« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

ha ha me excuses never  {-)

Had 2 days on the vanguard now got some more pictures of how far I have got not sure whether my control rods will be approved or not but its quite simple and easy to work on with my big hands still got loads to do. In the picture with the WTC in the sub the position is wrong I just put it in there and anyway it saves space, enough of me rambling on now here are a few pics

Regards Mark

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:50 am »

Nice to see another v class boat taking shape. We will soon be able to have a flotilla of bombers.  Regards sub.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »

heavy into the drill and lots of needle files being used today think that I only need to pop a few holes in the deck now to let out any traped air when she dives

I have got some nice mesh to fit behind the square vents or whatever they are called

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »

They're casing vents.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2012, 11:42:17 pm »

I dont know why but I knew you would know that andy thanks now I know  :-))

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:10 am »

You can drill out the holes for the retractable cleats/bollards for venting. On the OTW hull these are scribed circles about 4mm diameter, on the fullsize boat they're actually teardrop shaped. There are about two dozen along the length of the deck plus another sixteen vent holes on the missile hatch doors. I'd recommend one or two larger holes at the stern, you have quite a bit of choice there, but the two located about three inches forward of the rudder look promising.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »

Three more pictures of my Vanguard build. First picture is of the rear connections and prop shaft I have chosen to use electrical connectores to hold all the push rods in position

Second picture is the location of the battery, going to be using 12v 2.8Ah as I have a couple of these available the batter will also act as ballast

Third picture is my front dive plane connection utilizing a piece of brass strip to connect the two sides together

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »

I'm hoping that lead acid brick won't undermine the boats stability.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

Hmmm it is a bit heavy Andy I haven't got enough room under the WTC for a line of battery could maybe custom make a set for the front and also a set for the rear of the WTC any tips would be really appreciated

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:39 pm »

You may as well try it out, as you have it. Worse case scenario is the boat is unstable, then you may need to reconsider.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »

Vanguard now in primer ready for the top coat in the morning got to prime the sail  and then fix it to the hull also got to make the scopes

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:55 am »

Looks nice. Don't know if you have reference for the casing grills- they should ideally have a horizontal/vertical cross-hatch as opposed to diagonal, and be flush with the hull. Depends on how picky you are about details. You can get brass photoetched grill sheet from EMA's or the 4D modelshop. Ramesh used some on his Typhoon.

Hope you're going to drill some more holes in the deck than that- trapped wind can be embarrassing.

Did you get the link I sent you for the Photobucket Vanguard gallery?

thegrimreaper

« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

Andy I didnt get the link from you can you reasend it please as to the grill I have used what I had to hand which do the job and look the part I dont know if anyone else will notice that the grill is not the proper item, if any of the rivet counters mention the grills where I sail I will just have to say that the MOD class the grills as top secret and that this is my idea of how they look and  I am still having a problem sourcing  the nuclear reactor so I am going to use an electric motor and batteries for now,  >>:-( <*<

:-))
Regards Mark

Patrick Henry

« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

Now I like that thinking, Mark...b/s baffles brains every time.

Nice one...

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »

It would have to be someone who knows the boat fairly well to notice, and it would need to be close-up too.

I've resent an invitation to the gallery via photobucket, if that doesn't arrive, then have a look in your spam filter to see if it's got caught in that.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »

Oh it got caught Andy along with about 300 other messages for some reason outlook stopped receiving from that mailbox  sorted now though thanks for the link some nic pics on there. got my hull in top coat now working on the scopes have rethought the batteries and am going to go for 12v NiMH in the wet obviousley sealed just got to source some local lead now the church roof around the corner looks inviting pity I hate high places  {-)

Thanks again for the link Andy

Regards Mark

thegrimreaper

« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »

top coat of paint now on and dry scopes starting to take shape loosely in position a couple more to make think I need to dull the paint down a bit.

Regards Mark

merriman

« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »

Gold colored rotor!?.... Yuck!

And grab some window-screen material and fake some tiles, will ya?

David

thegrimreaper

« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »

Rotor is brass as it came from Bob as to "Grab some window-screen material and fake some tiles, will ya?" I would if I knew what you was talking about David

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »

I think Dave means net curtain! Use it as a mask with an airbrush.

I think the prop is silicone bronze- looks like brass, but much stronger stuff. If you do paint it, consider etch priming first. Interesting that Simon has used a heavier alloy for this prop, he used to cast them from aluminium like the shroud.

On the subject of rotors, I watched a program the other night about Rolls Royce, and how they construct their jet engines. They showed some of the construction of the fanjet blades. Made from Titanium in a composite fashion (top secret technique) each blade costs as much as a family car (yikes!!).

Rolls Royce make the propulsors for RN subs, and they base them on fan jet technology, so I think they may use titanium blades for the props. So a dull silver may be more authentic.

Pure conjecture of course- these things are hush hush.

merriman

« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »

Pickle the rotor in some acid, rinse it off with fresh water, dry it, and squirt it with the base color.

Go to your DIY shop, find a roll or remnant of that plastic window-screen stuff, and use it as a mask as you shoot a slightly darker/lighter color of the base coat. Wa-la: tiles.

David

thegrimreaper

« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »

Thanks for the tip will be doing that before the finish still bits to do
one question though what acid to use and pickle for how long ?? please

Regards Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.