Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Greece  (Read 5597 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Greece
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »

Just makes one wonder whether their £9B + and a rather big expensive bridge etc. was wise............ hopefully GB won't go the same way!!! :embarrassed: :D France must be heaving a rather large sigh of relief that they lost the bid! O0

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Greece
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »

who has been prosecuted for cooking the Greek books so they could be admitted to the EU in the first place?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:17 pm »

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

Dear Tobyker,

Well, this is in the lap of the God's at the moment isn't it! - Greek or otherwise! The next seven days might possibly determine all our fortunes......... seat, hold onto, bumpy ride might be forthcoming............ Me, prepartions for, active!

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »

I see the Greek 2-year bond rates went north of 100% today - peaked at 107...  http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GGGB2YR:IND 

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:07 pm »

Can someone who isn't a "politician" please tell me of any advantages to our country (The UK, at the moment) by staying in the EU?
Can someone who isn't a "politician" please tell me why Cleggy and Milliputs lot still want us to join the Euro area?

Can someone who is a "politician" please tell me about the advantages/disadvantages of reverting into a "Common Market" system that we were supposed to be in in the first place.
Can ANYONE please tell me why I should feel happy about having no say whatsoever in who rules our nation.
The "SUN" got it just spot-on when it produced its "Up Yours, Delors" paper.

I'm just glad that I'm in the late afternoon of my life, but I worry about what sort of place my grand-children will have to live in.
Or am I worrying unduly. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Dekan

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

The EU is designed to give Europe's politician's and their rich friends another opportunity to "make" some money. :-))

When the politican's are "out of office" in the own countries they get a job in the EU..So allowing the man in the street or backbenchers to vote on the EU would be like letting mr average vote on his bosse's pension plans... %%

When will people realise that politics is run by the rich to look after the interests of the rich...If you can get the plebs to pay for your mistakes... mission accomplished %)  

wibplus

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:27:05 pm »

Compliments to the person who wrote it- R.Hopkins of Eastbourne .

Daft land
We live in in a country called Daft land
The Britain we knew is no more
Where sensible people do ludicrous things
Or risk breaking some Daft land law.

In Daft land we've police dogs with muzzles
Less the villain has cause to complain
And to steal from a shop and say 'sorry'
Means your free with no stain to your name.

You had better leave lights on in buildings
When you lock up and go home at night
'cause the burglars might hurt themselves entering
And there's no way you'll be in the right.

When speaking be wary in Daft land
As some terms that you've used all your life
Now have connotations unintended
And you'll end up in all sorts of strife.

We elect politicians in Daft land
To give us the laws of the land
Yet eight laws in ten now come from abroad
The whole thing has got out of hand.

The borders are open in Daft land
And of migrants there's no keeping track
Just a few of the thousands illegally here
Will ever be caught and sent back.

The exception to this is the hero
Who fought for this land in the war
He's old and he's sick, he might cost us a bit
So he's not welcome here any more.

When the history is written of Daft land
Historians may just recall
That the craziest people in Daft land
Were the public who put up with it all

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »

When you look at the perks of living in Greece its not surprising that the country is potless. Why is Britain expected to contribute to their bailout? Its been coming for years. Why was action not taken sooner? Good riddance To them. Sadly the poor people will suffer, And the rich take their ill gotton gains  elsewhere.John.   

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »

John, You are right about the rich bailing out,  there was a big article in the Sunday Times about the rich moving to London and forcing house price
even higher in places like Chelsea and Kensington -  Not that many of us here could afford to live there anyway.
Problem is its the national past time of Greece to avoid tax amongst all classes but particularly the rich and it has been that way for years.
Just like the rich everywhere I suppose.
Geoff

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 07:35:52 pm »

No doubt Prince Philip as a Greek would like to set us all an example by sending all his money back to support Greece. He was potless till he married Lizzy.Now no doubt hes got money salted away. John.

mikearace

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »

Well Europe has served the extended Kinnock family very well.  Almost every member of the rest of his family just walked into jobs created for them.   And others such as Leon Brittan too.  Works very well as a cash cow for failed politicians.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:12:23 pm »

I love Greece, normally we visit every year but the country has been badly served by its politicians.

It does have an atmosphere all of its own which I never tire of. And all that history....

Colin

pugwash

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:24:51 pm »

I have to agree with you Colin - I kept my boat there for 7 yrs and spent 3 or 4 months there every year- the scenery is stunning
especially up in the mountains, and I always found the Greek people charming.  But in the Greek Government and strange laws
now that is another thing all together

Geoff

mikearace

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »

My missus and me love the place too.  For many years now we have been creatures of habit and had a holiday in Santorini, same time, same hotel, drink at the same bar, eat at the same restaurant.  Sad and unadventurous I guess lol.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »

Agree with you 100% Geoff. Greece should never have entered the Euro. Essentially, for all the attractiveness of the place, Greece is a 2nd world country and entering the Euro was a great mistake, at a stroke everything became more expensive and now the place is effectively bankrupt which is a great shame.

Mike, yes, Santorini is spectacular. We spent a week there a few years back staying in a hotel with rooms cut out of the rock overlooking the caldera. The views were incredible. We also visited Minoan Akrotiri. Three days after our visit the roof collapsed killing two tourists and I don't think it has been reopened since but looking at those houses that go back 3,500 years was one of the best experiences I have had.

Our favourite desiination is Crete which we know very well and it has so much to offer.

I do hope that the country finds some way out of the terrible mess it is currently in.

Colin

nhp651

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:30 pm »

Sad and unadventurous I guess lol.

I wouldn't say that Mike.....my wife won't even fly to the Isle of Man................ <:( <:( <:(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:18 pm »

Have you suggested kayaking Neil? Totally overcomes fear of flying.... (substitutes terror of drowning...)

We try to take at least two holidays/breaks a year. One will be to somewhere new but the other will tread familiar ground where we know we will be able to relax and enjoy ourselves so I go along with what Mike says. After all the whole point of a holiday is to enjoy yourself and unwind.

Colin

nhp651

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »

Have you suggested kayaking Neil? Totally overcomes fear of flying.... (substitutes terror of drowning...)

She'd be Ok with that Colin so long as I wasn't in the same vessel as her.....took her on Windermere in a skiff this summer......she nearly walked on water to get out of it  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 07:19:34 am »

Having spent two years in Cyprus with the RAF I have to say the Greek people are very relaxed & charming, quite different from most other races. I really enjoyed my time there. Now it is too expensive to travel there from Canada, which is a pity, I would love to take my Canadian better half to my old hunting grounds, LOL. I agree with Brian it is nice to go back to a place you are familiar with, you settle in quick & start to enjoy your holiday much faster.  Mick B.
Mick B.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 09:51:23 am »

Yes, the Greeks laugh and joke with you while they're syphoning your wallet {-) :-))

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 09:57:48 am »

Yes, the Greeks laugh and joke with you while they're syphoning your wallet

I'd hardly single out the Greeks for that - happens everywhere you go on holiday. From my experience I'd say the Greeks were nowhere near as bad as many other countries.

Colin

pugwash

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:19 am »

Ian,  yes they take your money with a smile - thats why we picked Greece for the base for the yacht . other holiday destinations
just take your money but don't really want you there and can't even raise a smile

Geoff

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

I'd hardly single out the Greeks for that - happens everywhere you go on holiday. From my experience I'd say the Greeks were nowhere near as bad as many other countries.

Colin
Yes, plenty of places don't bother with the laughing and joking part.  But they wish you a nice day after your money is in a safe place.  Sometimes.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Floodtide

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »

In America we have the Federal Reserve which prints out as much money as the politicians need. So what if the interest rate is sky high?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.