Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello From a New Modeller  (Read 2390 times)

westie-uk

Hello From a New Modeller
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »

Hi all,

I would just like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I am live in Darlington in the UK and
although I have done a bit of aero modelling, many years ago, I am just starting in Model boats. Just
coming up to retirement age so hoping to have lots of time on my hands.

I recently bought a Thunder Tiger Odyssey mrp yacht to get me on the water but it is not in very good
condition and really needs a good overhaul. I have tried getting sail makers to give me a price but none
have answered my emails up to now.

On the shelf I have a Kyosho Seawind yacht kit which I am looking forward to getting on the water then
the Odyssey can go into dry dock. I have also just had delivered a Revell 1.72 scale Snowberry Corvette
which I am going to convert to RC, so expect plenty of questions from me about that build when it starts.
I have already read quite a lot of articles on the site about this conversion so again looking forward to the
start of that build. I have also started to scratch build an ELCO MTB PT109 which is at an early stage at the
moment, just coming to the end of the planking stage. This is from a site I found on the web but I think it is
a Glynn Guest copy which as been modified.

I am amazed at the amount of information that is on this site and it is already helping me with decisions on
what I need for my models.

So hope to be a regular contributor to the site

Fred

MikeA

Re: Hello From a New Modeller
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:12 pm »

hi and welcome. Ive just been looking threw the site as i have just bought a plan for a pt 109 from here:
http://www.building-model-boats.com/model-boat-plans-store.html

im a bit worried now ive bought it as i cant get to grips with the cabin and deck fitting and now considering not building it, dont suppoe you could post some pics of your progress could you please? :D

daveorgan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:57:36 pm »

hi fred welcome im a newbie too so many helpfull people on here its a real good site.
i live in bristol and in to model canal boats i build from scratch . in the middle of restoring a 48 inch solent class lifeboat from aerokits. would of been real stuck if it was not for this site.
anyway best of luck fred and hope i bump into your posts on here.

kindest regards

dave :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

Hi Mad Mike, just take it one step at a time. When you get stuck slow down & ask for help on here. If you rush the build you will make mistakes. From your posts you seem to have lots of skill, just put it to good use. Mick B.
Mick B.

Ade the Blade

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »

Hi and welcome i,am a newbie as well the guys on here know a a ton stuff more than i ever will Regards Ade.

MikeA

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:51 am »

Hi Mad Mike, just take it one step at a time. When you get stuck slow down & ask for help on here. If you rush the build you will make mistakes. From your posts you seem to have lots of skill, just put it to good use. Mick B.

I usually design and build my own boats though, but thats easy, its not wrong when you are the creator of the original, but when it comes to replicating something real like some of these guys do, then im out of my depth.

westie-uk

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »

Hi Mad Mike,

The model you are building is the one I am building. I have only just started so haven't got
to the superstructure or deck fittings. According to the web site the part for the deck fittings
is to follow. I found the guy very quick at answering questions so it may help to ask him. If
you search in the "Warships Navy Military" section of the forum there are quite a few build
posts which may help you. I have put my PT boat on hold for the time being due to needing
to visit the model shop for some more parts. I am now starting on my Seawind Yacht,

Regards
Fred

MikeA

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »

i emailed the bloke not long after writing my post actually. he said he was putting up a bit more of the build and possibly in the sometime near future making templates for the superstructure. He also said that the templates will be free for several months so the customers who allready have the plans dont have to pay again.

Alfie G

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

Hi Fred,

I just started my matchbox snowberry kit a few weeks ago. I was given these links which were a great help to me-

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/contents.htm

http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/topic/1019

http://rnwarships.informe.com/forum/destroyers-corvettes-f22/ffs-aconit-k58-corvette-or-how-to-convert-a-revell-to-r-c-t110.html?hilit= FFS Aconit; How to convert a Revell

All the best with your projects,

Alfie

Floodtide

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:46:08 pm »

I am new to the site as well. I am making the moves to finish boats that I have. I read about you not getting replies from sailmakers. I would offer to hook you up with a good sewing lady if you are interested. Just what you require will make the difference.  Feel free to send me a private message or just reply here. Good luck

westie-uk

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:13 am »

Hi Floodtide,

Many thanks for the offer but have decided to forget about the Odyssey and concentrate on my Seawind.

Regards
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.