Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtroniks Viper marine 25 speed controllers  (Read 11829 times)

dickyp

Mtroniks Viper marine 25 speed controllers
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »

I bought one of these on Tuesday and installed it in my boat exactly as the instructions. Prior to installing it I removed the red wire from the connection into the receiver as I an using seperate battery pack to power the receiver.

I have today received a replacement and am encountering the same problem, a continuous red light which, according to the instructions means that it is not receiving a signal.

I know the receiver is working because the rudder works when connected to both channel 1 and channel 2.

Any ideas please

Should have said that I am using an Acoms radio

daveorgan

Re: Mtroniks Viper marine 25 speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »

i had the same prob  mate mine was the crystals like yours the rudder moved ok i cahanged the crystals for a new set and it was fine with the old crytals i had the red light on new crystals solved the prob

hope t his helps :-))

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »

Do these speed controllers whine ( like a wife ) , when being used through the speed ranges  <G>
Malcolm  NZ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »

Do these speed controllers whine ( like a wife ) , when being used through the speed ranges  <G>
Malcolm  NZ

O0

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:13:52 pm »

Do these speed controllers whine ( like a wife ) , when being used through the speed ranges  <G>
Malcolm  NZ

Depends on the motors, Mine do not ever whine, but I have heard other
boats with different motors whining to the ESC modulation.

It is the motors that whine, not the esc.  ;)

I can not say why the ESC would not simply plug in and work,
Does it work on any other motor sitting on the table while plugged into a
battery and the reciever with all three wires plugged in as designed?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:22:55 pm »

Hi Umi

All of mine whine, so I was interested to hear you had some that didn't. What would be the difference in the motor construction that would stop this noise please. 

I'm sure a lot of us would like to know the answer. It's only apparent on slow speed as the rattles overcome the whine as you speed up the motor.   ;)

regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dickyp

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25:05 pm »

Why is it necessary for members to hijack the post and the originators question rather than starting their own posts ?

What has a whining motor/controller got to do with my original question ?

CF-FZG

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:18 pm »

Nothing that I can think of, it's almost as if some people prefer 'other brands' and will try to put down any others but their preferred brand {:-{  I find it happens all the time on the

Now back to your original question, have you tried it without an external battery and using the BEC?

Mark.

dickyp

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:16 am »

Mark

Being new to current modelling I don't even know what a BEC is

Could you please elighten me and advise how to proceed

Thanks

daveorgan

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

plug the speed controller to the reciever to power it
do not have seperate batteries to power the reciever then you will have a better power supply to the reciever plug it in to the chanel 2 slot i think its 2 lol hangover this morning <:(

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:23:23 am »

Mark

Thanks

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/BEC.pdf
DM

CF-FZG

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:28:56 am »

Dicky,

BEC - Battery Eliminator Circuit - it powers the receiver from the main drive battery, and is why you've had to disconnect the red wire from the ESC lead, (to stop an electrical conflict).

To use the BEC instead of a seperate battery;

1. remove the 'seperate' battery from the system
2. refit the 'red wire' to the connector and plug into the throttle channel on the Rx
3. switch on the transmitter and make sure throttle is in the neutral position
4. KEEPING EVERYTHING CLEAR OF THE PROP!!! connect the main drive battery and the Rx should power up as normal, (confirm by 'waggling' the rudder), there may be a seperate switch to turn Rx power on
5. try the throttle and see if the motor turns

Mark

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 11:40:47 am »

Mark

Thanks
The BEC is a device inside the ESC (in your case) that derives a regulated 5 volts from the main battery to power the ESC internals.  In most cases, it also powers the receiver and anything else plugged into the receiver.  Usually, they dont like to either charge a battery or be presented with a higher voltage than they are putting out, hence the advice to disconnect the red wire from the RX plug. 
A lot depends on how the internals of the Mtronics ESC are arranged at this point, and they dont say.  Usually, the internal stuff that processes the information coming from the RX is powered via the BEC, which is switched on by the small black switch.  The red LED might not need this to function, so that if main power is there, but without anything else happening, it will light.
Best to try it like CF-FZG suggests, without the RX battery, but with the red wire reconnected.  It will now be in the configuration that Mtronics expected when they designed it.  If the servo works, there is power from the BEC.  Assuming that the TX was switched on first, the ESC will have a signal to latch on to and you should have that few seconds to put it in setup mode.
This is ignoring the possibility that a TX reverse switch is thrown - this can create real confusion when trying to set up an ESC.   
Next step would be to contact Mtronics, because if it is getting a valid signal and proper power and not responding, its broken.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dickyp

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »

I tried Mark's idea but exactly the same problem

I replaced the red wire in the servo connection to the receiver

I took the battery connection out of the receiver

Connected the battery to the controller

Still just a red light

I hope I understood your directions correctly

I have the same controller waiting to go in another boat but no point in doing this untill this one is resolved

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

Still just a red light

I hope I understood your directions correctly

I have the same controller waiting to go in another boat but no point in doing this untill this one is resolved

What happened with Mark's steps 3, 4 & 5?  Did the steering servo respond?

petermun

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 08:53:02 pm »

Probably a silly question, but here goes anyway.  Have you set up the ESC/transmitter as per instructions?   Pete

dickyp

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 09:41:51 pm »

Marks 3, 4 and 5

No rudder reaction - everything appears dead

Petes question

Yes Pete - respectfully it was a silly question

When I sent the first one back, I had run through the installation with the guy that answered their phone and he could not understand why it was not working

Is there anything in the set up of my Acoms controller that could be the problem ?

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

I bought 2 a few months back, both would only go full forward, no reverse ,despite a few resets, etc etc  i gave up.. went back a day later and stareted all over , both now work perfectly !.. no idea what I did wrong. not that that is much help really.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »

If there is no rudder reaction, there is no power going to either the RX or the servo.  From previous posts, the servo worked with the external battery, so the conclusion at the moment must be that the ESC is not seeing a valid signal.  Since the servo worked in that slot, the RX is working, so it narrows to the ESC.  Really silly question, is it plugged into the RX the right way round?  Black (or nearest to black) should normally be the pin nearest the outside edge of the board, red (or nearest equivalent) in the middle, and white (maybe yellow) furthest from the edge.  This has been true for many years, principal exception being Sanwa, who crossed the power connections.  A reversed plug does not allow the power into or out of the ESC, and disconnects the signal wire, giving the symptoms described.

I have had the problem that the long build describes several times - the answer is that the machine will only respond when it knows that you have read the instructions, and it has no further excuses.

dickyp

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »

Hi malcolm

There are brown, orange and red wires.

The red has been disconnected and the instuctions with the controller say that the orange should be nearest to the centre of the receiver

I have followed their instructions

Richard

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:26 pm »

Richard. Could anyone at your local boat club help? By putting your esc into one of their boats, it would help to find if its the esc or not.Most of the lads like a challenge and im sure a few will help you.John. 

dickyp

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

Hi John

I've been talking to the PR man at my local club who has very helpful with ideas but not the right ideas

Will try and take up your suggestion but awaiting call from Mtroniks as a result of my emails and amswermachine message of last Friday

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 08:21:09 pm »

Should be brown (-ve, edge) red (+ve, centre), yellow (signal, inboard)

One of my better party tricks when it comes to not having a setup work is to plug the ESC in, and miss the pins.  This is experience talking.

dickyp

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 12:46:48 pm »

EUREKA

At last, success

Not only do you have to remove the red wire if using external receiver batteries but disconnect the brown and install where the red one originally was

The motor seems to run faster in reverse rather than forward; any ideas to overcome this ?

Thanks to Mtroniks

agemax

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 01:22:30 pm »

i had exactly the same problem with the viper ESC on my boat. i called the shop i bought it from and he told me to bring the whole lot down and he would have a look. i am using a bec set up.
he did exactly what you have done, swapped the wires round in the plug and all worked fine. he said it is something to do with the Acoms receiver set up, newer ones work fine, older ones are reversed(or it may be the other way round, i cant remember)
try doing a full set up again to get the motor spinning faster in forwards. as stated before, make sure the throttle stick AND the trim switch are in the neutral position before starting the set up
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.