Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3103 times)

WILLUM

« on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:05 am »

Just joined and finding my way around the chit chat site.I have dragged my old boat out of the attic after 53 years intending renovating and installing RC.RC is something new so having read some articles on modelboatboat mayhem thought it a good idea to join in and learn.When I retired in 1998 I made a model carousel fully working with 36 horses so have some skills but this boating is something else.Wil get round to pestering you all with questions another time.willum

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:00:39 pm »

Welcome Willum, never too late to learn {-) What is the 53 year old boat, got a picture ???   I`m sure some of us would like to see the carousel too. O0
..well can you land on this?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »

Hi Willlum,

Welcome aboard  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

WILLUM

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »

Hello again,The boat is  a kiel craft Cabin Cruiser Seascout I was in Yarmouth at the time so decided to spend up ,3 guineas I think.Can I somehow use Picasa to send photos?? my Computer skills match my RC skills patchy at best. willum

MikeA

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »

hi, 53 years old eh? suprised it hasnt turned into coal! only joking  :-))

mike

thegrimreaper

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:27:01 am »

Hello again,The boat is  a kiel craft Cabin Cruiser Seascout I was in Yarmouth at the time so decided to spend up ,3 guineas I think.Can I somehow use Picasa to send photos?? my Computer skills match my RC skills patchy at best. willum

Welcome Willum
                       3 Guineas are thay the little furry thing my daughter has for pets  :o :embarrassed: never knew you could spend them like that  :-) :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:48 am »

For posting pictures, a look here might help.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.0
If the pictures are already on your PC, you already have everything you need to attach pictures to your posts.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

WILLUM

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »

Thanks for the guinea pig joke , giving my age away.Can someone advise on testing a servo ,I have no idea  how far the spindle turns is it half a rev full rev or what, I've tried a four pack of nicads but it just twitches, would the 6v  4 AMP AH gel battery hurt it.Thanks also for the photo advice. If I'm on the wrong section my apologies.Might try the photo's now. Willum

MikeA

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »

just over half a rev it should be. how are you testing it?

WILLUM

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

I'm putting voltage through the black and red wires direct from batteries.Tried tried to send photo not successful.

MikeA

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

have you tried it threw your receiver? i dont know if directly powering it would work, ive not tried that before :o

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »

I'm putting voltage through the black and red wires direct from batteries.Tried tried to send photo not successful.

Welcome to the Mayhem Willum, remember the photos have to be under 161 KB size in order to be uploaded through 'additional options'. I usually resize mine to 12% original when I've taken them using my 14 mega pixel camera. Plenty of helpful folk on here, regards, Dave.  :-))

WILLUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »

Have just tried photo again no joy must be a complete muffin.Dont know if i can send it from Picasa. Willum Embarassment

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »

You will need to connect the servo to a receiver that is also connected to a battery.
On switch on the servo will twitch. When the transmitter stick is moved the servo should move.
The other way is to use a servo tester.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »

The servo gets its power through the red and black wires, but there is a closely controlled timed pulse train coming down the white wire.  Simplest way is to use the transmitter and receiver, a tester is useful.  The servo has a potential travel of 270deg, but the stick controls it over the middle 90deg, 45 each side of center.  Jut powering the servo really does nothing, because it gets no instructions.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:13 am »

Welcome Willium, you can buy a really neat servo tester from ACTion Electronics, it works like a charm & is inexpensive too. Mick B. 
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.