Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 110 amp speed controler burned out  (Read 6540 times)

fletch62

110 amp speed controler burned out
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »

help needed just tested a 34inch sea commander in the bath with a 600 motor on 7.2 nicad and a three blade 40mm prob on but with in 2 mins the speed controler burnt out it still has reverse but no forward and was smoking

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: 110 amp speed controler burned out
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:17 am »

Ok what speed controller (Chinese of course) and how many amps is it drawring any pictures.

Peter

fletch62

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:32:40 am »

i try and get a picture posted tommorrow but theres no makers name on it but it was a hong kong special dont know how many amps cos ive got nothing to test amps with i normally sail ic but wanted an electric boat for a change picture of the moter and prop if that helps

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:38:25 am »

Hi Fletch......may be a silly question  :embarrassed:....but is the prop shaft free of binding without being connected to the motor?

The reason I ask is that the brass drive hub of universal coupling on the prop shaft end appears damaged together with a section of the RED coupling element  :o

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

fletch62

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:39:00 am »

hi thanks derek no binding think the damage is from wrong spanners used to tighten coupling before friends told me the props to big should drop it to a 35 so going to try that thanks brian

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:14:31 am »

A fuse will not stop the ESC from dying, but it should prevent it from destroying your boat.  If a car type fuse holder is fitted, you can use a box of assorted fuses from the Pound shop to determine a value that works, and your current draw will be a bit less than that.
Since reverse still works, it's likely that it is one of the reverse transistors that has gone short circuit, or stuck switched on.  When you try forward, that puts a dead short on the power, and releases the magic smoke. 
Points to bear in mind with oriental ESCs -
1 their amps are a lot smaller than ours, allowing them to put bigger numbers on the box
2 an amazingly small ESC, to carry a large current, must have truly wonderful semiconductors to not run very hot
3 since they are going to run very hot, and they don't have much surface area, they need to be in a tremendous cooling airflow
4 quality control is probably an optional extra
5 sales and marketing people are generally incurable optimists.  This is not a good thing where technical accuracy is wanted when combined with their traditional ignorance of what they are selling and marketing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:17:42 pm »

did the controller have the facility for water cooling and where you using it and getting water out the other side of it  during the test ?

Peter

fletch62

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

no its not water cooled but just had it back in the bath with the same esc but a smaller prop x35 and it not even getting warm now the brass prob wasnt a 40 as i thought but about a 55 thanks for everyone help with this                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

MikeA

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:05:43 am »

did you use the same esc? thought you said i had burnt out?

fletch62

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:07:55 am »

it burn out forward but the reverse still worked so i switched the  wires round on the motor going to nip up the lake today and give it a go thanks brian

MikeA

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:28:31 am »

i had a speed 600 with a 45mm on and it smoked. needed a 36mm at best

fletch62

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 08:54:39 am »

it seems ok on the 35 i ll find out later its a lovely day up here so off to lake to try if it dont work it will be on ebay later  {-) {-) {-)

daveorgan

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »

was it blue with heat sink on top ? i bought 2 of these for less than a tenner each absalute rubbish lasted 2 hours on 6v with a 550 motor buy british :-))

daveorgan

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »

they also do black ones with blue heat sink from revolutionshop in hong kong avoid avoid avoid

fletch62

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »

will be avoiding from now on we all live and learn {-) {-) {-) {-)

fletch62

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »

thats the one

daveorgan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »

know many people who bought these and they havnt lasted long at all its always forward that goes first

fletch62

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:53:23 pm »

been trying to get them to replace it or refund but not holding much hope out

daveorgan

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »

read his feedback mate everyone who recieves something broke or not working he does not respond to there answers , a old guy down our lake got one it never worked he tried and tried the guy  would not respond to messages . :((

fletch62

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 09:05:54 pm »

they have been responding ok but now they waiting for it to come back into stock ill give them another week then open a ebay complaint see if that hurrys them up 

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »

read his feedback mate everyone who recieves something broke or not working he does not respond to there answers , a old guy down our lake got one it never worked he tried and tried the guy  would not respond to messages . :((

He would have been better only to send 1 email via his ebay mail, after that he should have opened a dispute for Item not as described as in not working / faulity etc I think you can still do that upto 45-60 days I think..  Also as an online shop they have legal responsibilities, if they fail to respond Ebay will refund your money and charge them direct shouldthey  fail to..

treeboa

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:07 pm »

got to agree with the above, i never leave feedback untill i have tried the item-checked it over, if theres a problem i send one email/pm, from that if i dont receive a reply i then neg feedback and open a paypal dispute, tends to be `hong kong`type sellers i have had problems with and luckily only a few, if you do open a dispute then it would be worth cut and pasting a few neg feedbacks to prove your not the only one that has had to resort to a claim, were you can come unstuck is if the seller responds by asking you to send it back, sometimes that can be as costly as the part especially if you send it recorded

fletch62

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 05:47:02 pm »

had an email off them today a new ones gone in the post today so we will see if this one works after taking a closer look at my boat the prop shaft seems to be binding so i think that was what caused it to burn out put a new prop in today and it turns nice and free now but not telling them that  :-X :-X

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

Hi ya there Fletch 62

I wouldnt put too much faith in these speed controllers - there are 2-3 of us who have purchased this speed controller - from the same supplier in Kong Hong  O0 along with the Pong  %% We appear to all have experienced this same problem.  The problem is loss of forward motion through burning out.

If you find the topic '    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32947.0                                            ' you will see where I took my speed controller apart to identify the fault and I found it was the switching transistor which switched from forward to reverse.   Also, I was very suspect of the circuit board being able to handle anywhere near 110 amps.  More like 40 amps max.

To put it into context, if you think of how thick the wires are that are used to connect an electric cooker up to the mains (old fashioned type cooker) and these wires are about 1/8 inch in thickness to handle around 60 amps - and then look at the wires which is on these speed controllers - definitely to me they are an over-rated speed controller - even though you have freed off your prop shaft, I bet the speed controller will run really hot/if not burn out.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.