Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Torpedo Launch Plans Needed  (Read 3408 times)

Peeteach

Early Torpedo Launch Plans Needed
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »

Hi,
Some years ago (early 90's is my guess) I remember seeing in a magazine a description and drawings of an early (British I think) torpedo launch. The single torpedo was carried in the body of the launch  and entered the water via a sort of slipway to the rear. I think the idea was that you pointed the whole boat at the target, booted the torpedo off the back of the launch and got out of the way quick before the torp motor fired up and you got your own back.
If anybody has any ideas on articles, plan sets, drawings in fact anything to do with this oddity I would be delighted to hear from you
Many thanks,
Peter

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Early Torpedo Launch Plans Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »

The Chatham Dockyard had a real full-size one in the big shed for a while. Might have some info, worth a try.  BTW, you have a PM (personal message)
..well can you land on this?

andyn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

Models By Design do a rather tasty looking Russian G5 torp boat that's exactly that principle, if that's of any help?

Andy :-)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »

It sounds like you're describing the 44ft CMB (Coastal Motor Boat). One of these is preserved at Duxford air museum in Cambridgeshire: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/ships_register.php?action=ship&id=400
I don't know which magazine had an article on the 44ft CMB, but Model Boats had a build article, with plan, on the larger 55ft type (which has two torpedoes and a small enclosed cabin)

(edit) Here are the plans for the 55ft CMB: http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1546 . Don't know if there are any available for the 44ft type.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:43:25 pm »

Hi here's a few pics of the one at Duxford. Cheers Dan.

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:14:31 am »

sorry dan wrong boat

bikerdude666

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:15 am »

I know the boat you mean, saw it at Duxford and liked it, just a single torpedo launched from the stern, I think I tried to get pictures but it was in the  or we too much to get any good shots, I'll have a look on my laptop when I get home.

Peeteach

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »

Hi Ya'all,
Thank you all so much for your response, great to see some photographs, my chances of getting to Chatham (or any other UK museum)m are slim to non-existant so the images were very much appreciated. Plan sets as well, my cup runneth over even if they are not quite the beast I was looking for they're very close. Once again thank you all very much.
Peter

bikerdude666

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »

bikerdude666

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »

It's different to how I remember it, but it does seem to have a single torpedo launched from the stern.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

Hi Peter,

I don't know if it's any use but I can e-mail you with the plans for the French 14m (46ft) 1925 version which was based on the Thorneycroft design. They're not complete but will give you the full lines and a good elevation layout.

Tony

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »

Hi

John Lambert does a set of plans for Vospers  Job no 1763 which became MTB102. The plans show her with a single torpedo launched over the stern.

plan no L/S/72     http://www.lambert-plans.com/

There is also a chapter on same in 'Allied coastal forces of world war II by John Lambert'

Hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.