Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build  (Read 51973 times)

dlancast

English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »

Hello Folks,

Winter has arrived in the great Pacific Northwest of Washington, USA.  Last winter I discovered this great forum and posted my build of a static model of a 1920's Tramp Steamer.  Posted under the Working Boats section.  So, this winter I'm taking on a build I started over 20yrs ago.  It is taken from the Euro Kit of the English Frigate " Ajax".  I have built a number of plank of frame or plank on bulkhead models over the years, even sold a few, but that is another story I guess.  So, here I go.  Estimated time to complete will be over a year, so if you can bear with me, I hope I can generate an interesting project for your viewing pleasure.  The project begins with the hull recieving its inner layer of planking, the lower gun deck is roughed in.  Sure feels good to be retired and back into the building saddle after an absense of over 20yrs (I was playing with full size boats during that time).  For now, I only build models during the dark winter months and then in the Spring, I'm building small boats, like dinghys for friends.

Best regards,

Dennis Lancaster

jonny shoreboy

Re: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:16 am »

I love plank on frame models! I have a couple I started a few years ago which I need to finish.. Hopefully this thread of your Ajax will help to get me back into the mood..
Anyway, It is great to see a PoF model on this forum and I for one will be following along with great interest as your pictures so far show some beautiful workmanship and I look forward to seeing the rest of your build! And you can never post too many pictures!

Jonny

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:00:03 am »

Like jonny, I have one unfinished........Must get on with it... %%

dlancast

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:35:28 pm »

Planking continues (this will go on for a while). Stbd side has the inner planking on, plus the whale plank and final planking above that. The final planking is thin walnut and easy to plank correctly with stealers, etc. I had early on, decided to fill some wood in between the bulkheads to make for a more solid platform to lay the planks to. Might as well have made her a solid hull.  Anyhows, you can see the ugly of the inner planking which will fair out nicely and not be seen and thats all its really supposed to do.  I'm using a carpenters wood glue for that inner planking, so the set time is slow and I have been doing a plank a day.  I will be using fast glue when I start with the final planking and that should speed things up.  Holy cow, I was looking at my plans today and once again realized just how detailed and complex this build will be.  This Euro kit has probably the best and most accurate set of plans in what I have seen.  Too bad its in Italian... although I do have a booklet of english translation.  I'm just going on the good set of drawings and experience.  Its gonna be fun in any case.

Best,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:50 pm »

Oops, ment to add this snap of one of the blueprints showing the entire ship from waterline up.  Gives an idea of what she "might" look like.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:19:10 am »

She looks like a nice project. I will follow with interest.
 :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dlancast

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »

Just a quick update, still planking the inner planking on the port side, also working to "wood" frame in the port side gun ports and thinning down the framing prior to inside planking.  Upper deck beams have been roughed out and set aside.  Its just a slow process as you all know and any pictures would not show much difference.  So, this is just to let you know I'm still at it.

Best,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »

Gooday folks!  The inner planking is done now.  Essentially, I have a solid hull on which to lay my thin outter and final planks, of which I will take great care in laying in the traditional manner.  I believe the wood is walnut.  I always find it remarkable that the shape of these old 17th century ships mimic the lines of a fish below the water line.  Some think that the bluff bow and tubby appearance would make for a slow vessel, when actually these ships were pretty fast for their time.  A testimate to the designers abilities during that period.   I personally love the shape.

Dennis

dlancast

Re: English Frigate 1765 Build
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »

Clarification: It has come to my attention that the Euro model of the HMS "Ajax" did not exist as a real ship of the line.  Typical of kit manufacturers to do something like this and I can handle it.  So lets just call this a representation of an English Frigate between 1700 and 1800.  Plans are very well executed and should be able to produce a nice model from them.  I'm just going to have fun in any case.  On to planking!

Best,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:38 pm »

Coming on very nicely Dennis.. :-))

dlancast

Re: English Frigate Build
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »

The lower gun deck bulwarks have been "wooded" in, planked and painted red.  As many of you folks know, red was to hide the blood that occured during battle, in many cases cannon carnage resulted on those gun decks.  The gun deck is ready for planking and the addition of cannons.  I will rig only those cannon that can be seen through the upper deck openings.  As is the case, much detail will be hidden that only I, the builder will know is there... kind of a comforting thought (what lies hidden within?).  But, not getting ahead of myself, I still need to finish the outter hull planking.. still much to do (I just love this).

Cold, wet and windy in the great Northwest.

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 05:19:56 pm »

And the planking continues.  This will take me a week or so.  I'll just post this one shot so ya'll can see the process.  Be back with an update in a week.  Snow last night.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »

Starboard side planked.  Geesh, I might get the hull planked by end of week.

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:42 am »

She looks beautiful and not a scrap of plastic to be seen!!! :-)) :-)) :-))

dlancast

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:27:06 pm »

Hull planking is done. Next is to add the stern post, stem and keelson.  I have to decide if I want to copper plate the bottom below the water line.  This was done in the 18th century... might do it, as I like the look.  Too bad to cover up half the hull planking, but I think the trade off is a good one. Still considering.

best,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »

Hello Folks,

Stem, keelson and stern post are in.  Lower whale painted flat black.  Next will begin the coppering.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »

Ok, the coppering has started.  A very laborious task, probably over a thousand copper plates will go down.  I will simulate nail heads using a hypo needle (no, I don't use) that I have nipped the point off and formed a concave edge that when pressed to the copper plate, makes a nice nail head look. I'll post more pics as things progress.  Need to keep an eye on my stash of copper these days.

Dennis

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:16:46 pm »

I don’t think I have seen any one plank on frame with plastic Footski

dlancast

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »

Very slow process, over ten hours coppering so far.  There will be no "plastic" on this model.

Regards,

Dennis

Lothar

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 07:21:53 am »

Beautiful Job at a ship with very nice lines.

Regards

Lothar

dlancast

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:36 pm »

The coppering continues.  I discovered that I had a roll of copper self-adhesive strip in my  boating supplies I must have purchased 25 yrs ago.  Never used it, always used the individual plates.  So, I decided to give it a whirl and woudn't you know it, it works like a charm, is easier and cleaner than gluing individual plates. The adhesive is very tenatious.  The copper tape is thinner than the plates, so is easier for me to work with.  I have to cut each plate to size, then peel the backing off and using a wood burnishing tool I made, I just smooth the plate out and it sucks right down and really looks great.  Even with the extra work of making each plate, I am moving along maybe twice as fast... well, it seems faster and much, much more enjoyable.  Here I am covering 85 percent of a double planked hull with copper... well, isn't that what they did on the real ships? Have to admit, I'm after the look and I'm not disappointed.  And so it goes....

regards,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »

Beautiful job....I am sure it will be well worth the effort. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 02:20:53 am »

Sorry chipchase, I just couldn't figure what plastic Footski ment.... duhhhh  {:-{  ... now I get it.  No, no plastic planks.  Actually, what I'm more worried about now is the uptick in the theft of copper in this country.  Hope no one steals my model to cash in on the copper! You'd think I was plating with Gold!

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 07:18:57 am »

%% %% %% %%

dlancast

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:30 pm »

Coppering continues, and continues, and continues.....

Dennis

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.