Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build  (Read 51977 times)

Will

Re: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 03:05:39 pm »

Dennis,

Your earlier comment about the Euro model not being the Ajax got me to looking around.  I found that a consensus among UK, German and French modelers is that it the model is from plans drawn by FA Chapman found in the Swedish National Maritime Museum.

http://www.sjohistoriska.se/en/Search/ChapmanXXXII   

While it is not clear that this particular plan was ever built, ten of Chapman's frigates were constructed for the Swedish Navy in the 1780’s as the Bellona Class.

http://www.ageofsails.de/ships/fregatten/bellona.htm

The Euro kit could probably be bashed into one of them without too much trouble.   
An request to the Swedish museum might get you these plans and even some paintings to set the colors.

Just a suggestion, finishing your ship as a Swedish frigate would make a more colorful, as well as more interesting and accurate model. 

Or, as one of the Bellona frigates, the Venus, was captured by Russia and served many reasonably well documented years in the Imperial Navy, you might want to do it up in Russian colors. 

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships/War/SE/Venus(1783).html

Wasn't US Northwest a Russian colony sometime in the late 1700s?

You have done a very nice job on the model so far and will be a great model however you flag her.  Sorry I didn't get to you before you started the coppering...would have been unnecessary on a Swedish frigate of that time.  But the Russian Venus spent a lot of time in the Mediterranean where copper would have been essential so maybe you can still recover the coppering time. 

Seems that the Kit has also been attributed to a French frigate la Renommee.  Chapman spent some time in French dockyards so his plans could have been copied/influenced by a French frigate in the stocks at the time of this visit.

See   http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=193136
 or     http://www.modelships.de/French-40-gun-frigate/French-40-gun-frigate.htm

a tangled web indeed, but part of what makes ship modeling so fascinating

Will Gasser, Zurich

nhp651

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 10:12:51 pm »

stunning work, Dennis.the planking is a work of art, then you cover it with copper plates...you have the commitment of Job, but what a beautiful model she will be.....wish I had your patience.
superb.
neil.

dlancast

Re: English Frigate Build
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »

thank you Will for taking the time to do some research.  some very good links and info that I will keep.  Yes, I know I can bring in more accuracy on this model.  What has impressed me mostly are the accuracy and detail of the plans from Euro Model.  These are some of the best I have ever seen in any kit.  So complete, that one could build a true to scale and accurate plank on frame model if they so choose.  Its only in how much the builder wants to put into the model... almost no limit.  Its not so important for me to render a ship that existed on this model as it is to just build a finely detailed Frigate.  I know I can do that with these plans.  As for coppering.  Just wanted to do it and have the look.  In either case, I can get out a nicely detailed model from this kit.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »

Thanks Neil.  This is a labor of love, as I so enjoy doing this and what a great winter project.  I highly recommend to any one.  It does take patience, especially the rigging stage and I do turn this room blue a few times.... still the enjoyment far out weighs anything else.  I never cease to marvel whenever I get a chance to go aboard a real full size square rigger (Like the Lady Washington in these waters), at how its just like the models, except bigger!!  Its amazing the physics and how it all works.

Best,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »

Hi Folks,

Just over two weeks and the starboard side of the hull is now coppered.  I'll cap the bow stem after I finish the other side.  I'm happy.

Regards,

Dennis

Oops... I see there is a server error trying to upload pic.  I'll try later.

dlancast

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:31 am »

Ok, lets try this upload again.

barryfoote

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 06:51:44 am »

A beautiful job, now are you going to give it some age and if so have you any ideas about how to go about it?

dlancast

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

Thankyou Footski, now, by "age", are you referring to a green patina on the plates?  Dunno... what I have read is that copper remains relatively shiney bright under water, but becomes green when exposed to O2 and salt.  So, you would think if this model is going to be up "on the hard" forever, she should have that green patina.  I hear that Uric Acid does a nice job, but am reluctant to urinate on my model.  {:-{
The copper I used on this one side is over 23 yrs old and has a lovely "old penney" patina to it.  I know that over time, the copper turns a soft, golden brown in color.  But, there is something to be said for the more accurate "green" and I have seen it done.  Will have to think on that one.

best,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 07:51:42 am »

Dennis, You have obviously done the research. Either way, she is going to look superb.... :-))

dlancast

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »

On to the "Dark Side" now.

dlancast

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

Well Folks,  copper is done... except for the rudder.  At last I can start working in wood again.

Regards,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 07:25:51 am »

I reckon all that copper must add quite a bit to the weight of the model?

It looks beautiful.. :-))

ben hall

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »

pics may be of interest

dlancast

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

It does feel a tad heavier.. right!  Enjoyed the website for the RC sailing ships... amazing what can be done today.  Mine won't be sailing, but will be intombed in a glass case a few years down the road.  Think I'll work on the stern a bit today.  Have a wonderful Christmas folks!  About all we will see of the white stuff is heavy frost this corner of the planet.

regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 06:15:31 pm »

got bored of working on the rudder and decided to bring in some color to the hull.  Thanks to Jerry and his link to a great shot of the Frigate Macedonia.  Really liked the color combo and decided to go with it.  I love black hulls.  Anyhows, its on there.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »

Will,

Thank you for sharing those awesome links.  Same with you Jerry.  I am always amazed at what the true experts can do with exacting modeling.  I am just a hacker.  But the point is, that this is such an enjoyable hobby that I can get lost in.  What is so cool is that these master builders are keeping alive an old art of ship design and construction.

Regards,

Dennis

JerryTodd

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 06:50:27 am »

Are you planning sailing this one Dennis, or will it be a static model?

dlancast

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »

Hi Jerry,

She will be static.  Started this build over 20yrs ago and decided to finish her in my retirement.  Have to say you inspire me to do something RC.  Last winter I built a Tramp Steamer of sorts for static to replace a RC Schooner I built.  Who knows but I just might get back into RC.  Folks here do a wonderful job it.

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

Ok, the rudder is in.  I have rough placed the deck beams.  Next will be the lower deck planking and the start of cannon installation.

regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »

Ok, I'm well on my way with the subdecking.  I went ahead and coppered the stove flu and sawed off the frames to upper deck level.

Have a Happy New Year folks!

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »

Lower deck is in.  I treated with "Deft" to give it a nice "oak" look.  On to cannons now.

Happy New Year!

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 11:52:50 pm »

First cannon is installed and fully rigged.  Here is where my digital camera is sorely lacking.  I need a different lens (maybe an excuse to purchase a better camera).  Hard to see the detail that has gone into that little beast.  Took several hours.  I have 30 or more cannon to install, but only about four on the lower deck will be fully rigged and of course all of the upper deck cannon will be fully rigged.  Those that you can see at least.  This is why this project is going to take 3 yrs to complete.  But... I'm having a grand time of it!

Cheers,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 07:34:31 am »

Lovely work Dennis. Not wanting to teach Granny to suck eggs and the photo does not show it clearly, but have you painted the guns? Most would have been cast iron and as such were painted black to keep the rust away. (Tarring was also popular). Only the very few brass guns would be left unpainted. and this ship almost certainly did not have any brass guns. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:32 pm »

Tks Footski,

Understand... the cannons supplied in the kit appear to be cast bronze (if true, partly explain the price of the kit).  They have a lovely dark patina that I decided would be just fine for rendering on the model.  Couldn't bring myself to paint black.

Cheers,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »

At least they are not bright brass. They will look great... :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.