Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build  (Read 51963 times)

dlancast

Re: English Frigate Build
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:11 am »

Ok, I visited the other topic section of this forum and asked the question about close up photo work and discovered (a bit red faced) that I was not using the "Macro" function of my camera.  So here a a quick close up shot that does show more detail of my cannon. (and all the other ugly things we don't want to talk about.... 2 ft rule you know).

Regards,

Dennis

barryfoote

Re: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 07:28:25 am »

Dennis,
You are really getting my interest back in the old uns!! Here is a photo of two guns on my scratch build Blandford, a twenty gunner from 1719.

dlancast

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »

Awesome cannon work Footski... your detail is "spot on" and points out to me that I need to blacken some of those "brassy" eyelets I have used and I need to add wedges under the aft end of the cannon to level them... nice picture... tks.   O0

dlancast

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 11:16:45 pm »

Ok, more cannon installed today.  These will not be seen from main deck hatch, so I did not have to rig them.  Boom, boom......

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »

I got bored with making cannon, so jumped to a side project.  Needed to add a strip moulding just above cannon ports and then added the anchor guard.  I saw another frigate model which had the guard covered in copper which made good sense to me and I thought looked pretty cool, so I used some of my aged copper to cover the guard and then depressed nail heads with my hypo.  So many things to do, I'm like a kid in a candy shop (I look like it too).

Regards,

Dennis

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »

Dennis,

Love your build :}
Just for amusement - the "anchor guard" is called the billboard, cos it protects the ship from the bill of the anchor - and its big and squareish
andrew

dlancast

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 11:52:58 pm »

Thank you Andrew... my nautical terminology is limited, even after years and years of building these old ships.  I got the idea of some kind of anchor shield from this amazing model of a French Frigate: http://www.modelships.de/French-40-gun-frigate/Photos-French-40-gun-frigate-details.htm  Amazing detail.  I have seen wood used to help protect the hull from anchor damage, but this is the first copper shielding I have seen used.

Dennis  O0

barryfoote

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:33 am »

I have never seen it on English ships, but then decoration was largely down to the individual Captain, so I suppose anything goes. You Dennis are the captain so no reason not to include coppered anchor guards. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 11:39:20 pm »

Well Footski, you have a point there.  I haven't seen them coppered on English ships either.  So I thought about it and decided to pull the copper and paint the boards black. I rather like the look better now.  As always, I divert to break up boredum.. ho humm.  Went ahead and made two cannon port doors, one is closed and the other open... then just had to see how a deadeye and chainplate would look, so installed the port mizzen fore shroud lower deadeye and chainplate.  The chainplates in the kit really sucked and were truly way out of scale, so I made my own.  Its not perfect, but closer than what was supplied.

Regards,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:18 am »

Beautiful Dennis.. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 12:14:06 am »

More cannon added to the STBD side.  Four will be fully rigged (those that will be seen).

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »

Now back to rigging cannon.  I couldn't resist trying out my new skills at using the Macro setting on my Cannon FL450 digital camera.  Thanks to help on this forum, I'm getting the detail I want to share.  The blocks I'm using are Brittania metal and measure about 5mm long and 3mm wide.  I have stropped them with thin brass wire called Beading Wire #34.  Very nice for this kind of fine work.  I do have some annealed fine wire that is not as thin that I like to normally use.  Anyhows, my old hands can still do the small work, thankfully.

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »

Correction... that is a Cannon SD450 digital camera

dlancast

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »

STBD side cannon are almost in.. one more to go.  %%

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

Looking good and the photography is getting better too!! :-)) :-))

dlancast

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2012, 01:27:21 am »

Decided to do something else, so I finished the stern windows.... I know, its a casting from the kit... cleaned it up some and painted.. I think it will look ok on finished model... plans do show how to build it up from scratch.. but didn't want to add a year to the build! {:-{

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:28 pm »

Working on the port side cannon now.  This will take a month to complete, I feel like...  %%

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »

Still building cannon on the Port side, 3 more to go.  Digressed a bit and built a capstan.  I placed the upper gun deck template on and the observer will not see very much of all the detail work that has been going on with this lower deck.. oh well, at least I know its there and I have pics to prove it  %%.

Still snowing,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:51 pm »

A lovely job there... :-)) Great fun too I'll bet?? %)

dlancast

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 12:04:31 am »

Just having fun with some macro shots... added another cannon today.. two more to go.
 ;)

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:39 am »

Love that low deck shot. as you can see, macro only puts a tiny amount of the picture in focus, so you have to try to get the camera on the exact spot you want....Not always as easy as it sounds.. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2012, 12:30:46 am »

Tks Footski.....   all lower gun deck cannon are in... at last....   will move on to bowsprit support and get ready for deck beams and upper deck (final) that will cover all of this work except for a tiny window.  I took alot of pics for the record.. only myself and you folks will know whats inside the black box!  ok2

Onward!

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:54 pm »

Ok, upper gun deck has been started, main hatch framed, supports going in and deck planking has started.  Decided to added wood grates on either side of main hatch, so those cut outs have been started.  Will have to wait for delivery of grates from Bluejacket to fit them in. Foremast pin rail has been roughed out and will be next to install.  I'm still having fun. :o

regards,

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »

Bulwarks have been started, supports added.

dlancast

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 01:56:56 am »

Side stern windows added, more upper decking down.... running out of planking material and have begun milling my own.

Dennis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.