Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build  (Read 51962 times)

barryfoote

Re: English Frigate "Ajax" 1765 Build
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 07:45:32 am »

Looking beautiful Dennis....You are working at an incredible rate.. :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »

Very nice work.
She is looking good.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

dlancast

Re: English Frigate Build
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

Thanks gentlemen.  I'm having fun with the project.  One can easily get lost in the details and the magintude of what still needs to be done.  It will truly be a 3 yr project to complete.  I will stop building come Spring and resume again next winter.  I'll be at it another couple of months yet and hope to have most of the hull work done.  Then its "masting and rigging".  I'm debating if I'm going to rig her with sails or not.. I think I'd like to try... it would be a major step for me.

Fairwinds,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:53 am »

Dennis, the problem with sails is getting them to look right. Getting the cloth to look to scale is very difficult and I reckon it can spoil an otherwise beautiful model. Do plenty of research and try a dummy run with a sail or two, but be prepared to give up on it if you cannot get it right.

Enjoy... :-))

dlancast

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »

Point well taken Footski... tks!  :-)  I am very hesitant on the sail thing.  I did it once on a revenue cutter and I used Silkspan for my sail material.  Had the good wife sew on seam lines, etc., I brushed on some stain and painted on flat varnish.  Must say, they did not turn that bad, but you are correct, very hard to get a scale look.  The kit supplied some very fine and nice linen cloth... I might do as you say and try one for fun and see.  Certainly, rigging without sails, reduces the amount of rigging that needs to happen.  Furled sails is another option too.  As I understand it, you furl up a sail that is perhaps a third the full size to reduce that bulky look... again, I will test and see.  Getting ahead of myself, as this is a couple of years away.  But, does not hurt to think some on it and get some good ideas.... O0

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

Re: English Frigate "Ajax" Build
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 11:23:03 pm »

Just installed the first of six grates that will go on either side of the main hatch opening.  I purchased these from BlueJackets Shipcrafters here in the US www.bluejacketinc.com and must say they are stunning.  Laser cut in wood, these panels measure 1x2" and 3/32" thick.  They are perfect and well worth the price of $3.00US ea.

Regards,

Dennis

barryfoote

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 08:00:03 am »

$3.00 sure beats the hell out of making them yourself.. %%

dlancast

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

Grates are in.  Onward!  %%

dlancast

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 11:53:17 pm »

Moving along, added bell and belaying pins.... too bad they have to be painted, I kinda like that bright brass! :-)

Dennis

bobk

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:45 am »

Really amazing Dennis.  keep posting updates please  :-))  :-))  :-))

dlancast

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »

Port Cathead roughed in.

barryfoote

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:19 pm »

Great Dennis, and leave that bell brass. All models should have a bit of 'licence' about them. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:37 pm »

Catheads are in.

dlancast

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:27 pm »

My God, the Macro on my camera does get in close and shows every error in my cuts and fit  {:-{.  Yes, the bell will remain brass.  Note it is stamped with 1765... nice touch.  Don't look too bad from a foot away!......hahahahaha. %%

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »

Installed the bow railing with 32 belaying pin rail.. am I really going to be using all those pins?  Began work on the "head" by installing the gamoning and scroll work.  I'm sure all of you folks know how the term head became associated with the latrine.  At least in the Navy, the loo is called the "Head" and so it is with these old fighting ships, the area ahead of the bowsprit is where all the pooping took place and where it would be flushed in a good sea (and probably rinsed a sailor or two).  I have been putting this part off for some time now, as the head rails will be a real challenge due to the complex curves required.  But, I'll just take my time and try to get it as right as I can.

regards,

Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2012, 12:00:49 am »

dlancast ...says ....'added bell and belaying pins.... too bad they have to be painted'

Dennis...with the pins...you could consider chemically blackening them..........that way the keep their crispness ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:36 am »

Roger that Derek.  I've used "Blacken it" before.  I wanted a brown look on those pins and am using a thin solution of "Burnt Sienna" that seems to be working and not loading up the surface.

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »

Support framework in for the "head".. next will be the curved rails.  I'm going to try steaming first or maybe do them in sections.  I'm also considering plastic square stock and heating to bend.

Having fun.  {:-{

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

Stbd side head rails on and added dump station or pooper hole... boy, what a feeling of freedom that must have been.. sittin out there with the waves crashing and no TP!   {-)

Dennis

dlancast

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2012, 12:49:06 am »

Ok, got the head rails in and figurine mounted.  Next will begin work on the bowsprit.

barryfoote

« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2012, 07:37:08 am »

Lovely work Dennis.. :-))

dlancast

« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »

Bowsprit coming together.

D.

dlancast

« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:39 pm »

Gammoning in.

ben hall

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:22 pm »

mmmmmmmm...... Gammon

dlancast

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:07 pm »

Gammoning... yup, had to look that one up.  The Brits started that term, but it has its roots in Northern France "Gambe"... I originally thought it was something to eat (the preverbial chomper that I am) and indeed, Gammon is a term for ham or leg of pork.  Curious how or why the term got associated with fastening the bowsprit to the stem.  Oh well, one can get lost in old "ship" terms and what not!  ok2

Working on deadeyes and chainplates... hmmmmmm, now why are the "eyes" dead!  {-)

Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.