Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smoke unit queery  (Read 1675 times)

john44

smoke unit queery
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:01 am »

Hi guys, have any of you run a 6 volt Seuthe smoke unit on 7.2 volts ? or is a resister required in the circuit ? and if so
what value resister is required?

cheers

john44

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: smoke unit queery
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:16:21 pm »

The extra voltage will increase the current through the element, thus the power in the element, making it run hotter.  It is possible that this will just make it smoke more enthusiastically while it has oil.  When its oil runs out, it will burn out much faster. 
To determine the resistor value, measure the resistance of the element, divide by 6 (its a 6 volt unit) and multiply by 7.2 (the proposed voltage).  This gives the total resistance.  Subtract the  resistance of the element, and you have the value you need.  From the numbers you now have, you can work out the current used, and thus the wattage rating of the resistor.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

daveorgan

Re: smoke unit queery
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »

i use these all the time in my narrow boats i have run them on 7.2v but they did not last long once oil run out i use 6v however i have and do use a seperate battery pack you can get some very small 6v batteries now and i run a 6v smoke generater on a 800mah battery and get about 25 mins constant use out of it

hope this helps :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.