Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 46 inch fibre glass hull  (Read 12964 times)

MikeA

Re: 46 inch fibre glass hull
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

hi %%

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:42 pm »

Hi all i see we are back on the worlds fastest barge ,go on who will be the first to do it and a vid for all to see .Still on a serious note i watched the vid and have to say i was well impressed i may have a change of mind as to how to power my own 40in hull brushed my be the river to go down and save a few quid in the process i will watch this thread with interested ps Hi Mike .

Regards Adrian

you know ive just been looking threw hk and im not sure if brushed is the cheaper option  :o

nick_75au

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »

I swear I posted something yesterday?

Anyway I asked what prop size, how fast do you want it to go and whether you have a preference for battery type and voltage.

Nick

OapPETE

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 12:18:50 am »

Hi Nick I am new to all the latest electric and am pleased to have all your advice the video from Mike looks good I would be happy if my 46inch go like that the largest prop I can fit is 55mm unless I move the shaft which I would perfir to leave

OapPETE

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 12:37:54 am »

Hi Nick I am open to any help from members with far more experience than me but I don`t want to throw money at it.  (centre of shaft to bottom of hull is 30mm)

MikeA

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 07:40:36 am »

if you dont want to use lipo use nimh batteries

nick_75au

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 07:57:18 am »

Ok , I reckon for a brush-less set-up a 800 Kv 36 mm motor on 4 cell Lipo or 12 cell NiMh, run a 45-50 mm prop or a 1000 Kv motor on 3 cell Lipo or 10 cell Nimh. look for numbers like 36-35 or similar with the Kv I specified.

I just tried a 500 Kv 42mm motor driving a 55 mm 3 blade cleaver on 6 cell and the power was incredible, but the torque was rolling the boat over as I was holding it %%

Nick

MikeA

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:21 am »

would that 5055 been too big then? how much over can the prop diameter be to the motor diameter? i made a match in diameters it usually works for inrunners and brushed motors.

MikeA

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 08:56:41 am »

OapPETE

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 01:10:09 pm »

Hi Mike thanks for yours and Nicks help this is a cheaper way I am a bit confused on battery's Nick said look for 3s with 36-35 and Kv1 specified but I could not find that spec on your list of battery's also which battery charger will I need and any other things I need to order at the same time to save on postage costs as I have no stock left over from other models regards Peter.

MikeA

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »

using what nick has suggested you can get both the motor and speed controller for £39 inc pnp from here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18232__Turnigy_D3542_6_1000KV_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7360__Turnigy_Marine_60A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html

ok the the 36-35 and the 1000kv is the type of motor to go for.  3635 is the diameter and lenght in millimeters of the motor althought im not sure if nick has written it like that to give a round about size of the diameter.

The kv is revolutions per volt.  usually the lower the kv the higher torque the motor but the slower it runs.

1 lithium polymer cell or lipo is 3.7v. If you were to buy a pack with 2 cells in it it would be called a 2s battery, if it had 3 cells in it it would a 3s battery and so on. dont know why they call the cells S.

a 3s lipo battery would there for be 3 cells of 3.7v totalling to 11.1v

if you then take the 11.1v and multiply it by the KV of the motor in this case 1000KV then it would give you 11,100 rpm at the motor spindle.

lithium polymer batteries have pro and cons like all batteries,  for startes they need a balance charger. balance charger charge the cells individually this stop them from over charging as a overcharged lipo explodes. like this lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYn2lbBh0Q&feature=related

So a balance charger is vital!!

they also cannot be discharged below 3v as it damaged them, so an LVC or low voltage cut off stops this. It shuts down the forward motion of the boat for a few seconds then allows for a slow recovery back to the bank.

if you like you can save all this hassle of lipo batterues and get a 12v nimh battery pack. you can charge these will a normal charger and you can run them flat, but they dont make your  boat as  fast as a lipo can. Nimh is also cheaper, but there heavier. depends on what you want to spend on batteries.

OapPETE

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 04:29:13 pm »

Thanks Mike I have decided to go for

Motor 3542/6 1000Kv

Turnigy marine 60a TR-M-60A

Battery  SKU N6000.35.25

Charger B6AC  the one you recommended the first time above

Would you be kind enough to confirm these are all suitable and one battery is enough will I need motor mount bracket or any fittings

Once again thanks for all your Help also Nicks

Be offline tonight, off out and tommow again

MikeA

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

for the battey do you mean the top one?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11939__Turnigy_nano_tech_6000mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html

also im not sure which balance charger you have selected. one of them needs an 12 acdc adapter the other has one built in. if you get that  charger though it will cater you for all types of batteries just about.

you will need a coupling for the motor to propshaft. you will also need a motor mount but these can be constructed if you have the know how, remeber though that this motor is an outrunner which means the case revolves around armature

OapPETE

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »

Hi Mike

Yes it is the top one on that web site

The charger is the dearer one of the two you recommended  on your first web list above

As for the motor mount I may not have metal to suit and am happy to buy one if one is available.

MikeA

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 11:22:05 pm »

motor mounts are available anywhere on the net, ebay, hobbyking, MMB, prestwich model boats

just to name a few. I dont know what to say for mounts as its one of those things you need to fettle about with first before you decide how you going to mount it.

heres one at prestwich. If you check out the very bottom of the list theres a water cooled motor mount for your type of motor.

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/fastelectrics.htm

OapPETE

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:56 pm »

Thanks is the motor water cooled that I am buying like a I C engine

MikeA

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:22 pm »

no the motor it self isnt water cooled because it has no outer cooling jacket. it cant cos the case revolves so you have to cool the motor mount. the esc is also water cooled but if your motor and esc doesnt get too hot then dont worry about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xTHZPwAKc&feature=related

OapPETE

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 12:09:01 am »

I have just enlarged the motor mount and seen how it cools sorry to ask so many questions

signing off now got to be up early THANKS Peter

MikeA

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 12:10:55 am »

dont worry about asking questions i like to help O0

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 02:32:09 am »

I'm glad when someone asks questions and I'm even gladder when someone else answers them  O0 O0
I get the benifit of reading both without lifting a finger. Conservation of energy is one thing I can do.
I especially love daft questions because they are the ones that I always have too  %%

Regards Dave

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

I dont think that motor will be enough to push that boat very fast,you would be better off with 6 s lipos and one of these in my opinion.
Mart
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11980__Turnigy_T600_Brushless_Outrunner_for_600_Heli_1400kv_.html

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:46 pm »

no the motor it self isnt water cooled because it has no outer cooling jacket. it cant cos the case revolves so you have to cool the motor mount. the esc is also water cooled but if your motor and esc doesnt get too hot then dont worry about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xTHZPwAKc&feature=related

On an out runner you need to cool the front mout as the heat wells up at the front, so if you want to get power water cool it

Peter

OapPETE

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »

Thanks I will definitely cool it and the esc if that requires cooling as well as for size of motor I have to give it more thought I don't wish the boat to take off just have a reasonable speed and get on a plane possibly half way down the boat

OapPETE

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »

If I went for the T600 Turnigy motor and a 6000mah 6s 25-50 battery  the motor has a max 115amps do I need a higher amp esc if so is it better to buy the same make as the motor your help would be helpfull thanks Peter.

nick_75au

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:44 pm »

The motor martno1fan has selected is suited to a fe not a scale planing cruiser, if you want to go 30+ mph fair enough but remember that 30000 rpm is surface drive speed, a sub surface prop has much lower rpm requirements
Nick
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.