Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Belfast airbrushed from tube posters.  (Read 4557 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Belfast airbrushed from tube posters.
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Belfast airbrushed from tube posters.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:46:53 pm »

Unfortunately it is the sort of thng that happens when people who are ignorant of history are put in charge of initiatives like this. Some Wannabee probably thought it would be a good idea and lacked the knowledge to understand the significance of what he or she had done and the common sense to to check first.

There was a pleasant young lady on Breakfast TV this morning giving her opinons on wearing poppies but is was clear that she had only the most fragile grasp of 20th Century history. These people were born in the 1980s and probably have only the vaguest understanding of what the two World Wars were about as they were so, so long ago, but of course they know that killing people is wrong...

Colin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:47:38 pm »

A simple mistake? Yes of course it was.Now there is an outcry,the Olympic committee are rapidly backtracing and printing new Posters,more waste of public money.Get it right first time,dont airbrush out history.John.

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:55:37 pm »

You have an aeriel photo of the Thames and you actively removed Belfast from it - that was done deliberately.
How can you accidently remove an article that big by accident.  Obviously did not fit in with someones idea of London in 2012.
Now some serious backpedalling is taking place.

Geoff

ZZ56

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:49 pm »

If you look at the bottom advert, the text runs right through the location of the ship.  

Whoever laid it out probably removed the ship so it wouldn't interfere with the text.  

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:13:39 am »

If you look at the bottom advert, the text runs right through the location of the ship.  

Whoever laid it out probably removed the ship so it wouldn't interfere with the text.  

I believe the Belfast is above the Tower Bridge, in the poster, and not at the lower part of the poster. The Belfast would dead center in the middle of the picture and not interfering with any written wording.

John

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:43 am »

I believe the Belfast is above the Tower Bridge, in the poster, and not at the lower part of the poster. The Belfast would dead center in the middle of the picture and not interfering with any written wording.

John

ZZ56 is talking about the picture featured in the D**** M*** on the London  tube

pettyofficernick

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:38:01 am »

Personally, I think the Olympic Games should be airbrushed out of the UK, The cost is astronomical, peoples daily lives will be disrupted, money is being wasted hand over fist,  mainstream tourism is being disrupted and now we are being told to hide our history, When are we going to regain our national identity and stop allowing our heritage to be interfered with. Our tradition of wearing poppies is now being infringed by FIFA with their ridiculous ban on poppies at some football match in Spain on Sunday. Our government needs to get a grip and tell em all to go boil their heads!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059198/FIFA-poppy-ban-Germans-England-wear-poppies-David-Cameron-blasts

bikerdude666

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »

Personally, I think the Olympic Games should be airbrushed out of the UK, The cost is astronomical, peoples daily lives will be disrupted, money is being wasted hand over fist,  mainstream tourism is being disrupted and now we are being told to hide our history, When are we going to regain our national identity and stop allowing our heritage to be interfered with. Our tradition of wearing poppies is now being infringed by FIFA with their ridiculous ban on poppies at some football match in Spain on Sunday. Our government needs to get a grip and tell em all to go boil their heads!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059198/FIFA-poppy-ban-Germans-England-wear-poppies-David-Cameron-blasts

They did, players are now allowed to wear the poppies.

richtea

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:18 pm »

Just my own opinion,
HMS Belfast will still be around when the games are long forgotten.
Regards
Richard

11/11/11 WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE !

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:13:45 am »

Political correctness is completely out of control, but I have learned to just ignore it & tell them to take a hike at every opportunity .Most are people with a complete lack of a life of their own. Mick B.
Mick B.

baloo

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:21 am »

Who ever agreed to erase  "h.m.s.belfast should be instantly sacked (the editor).This person should be named and shamed.
Rememember : 11/11/11

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

Personally, I think the Olympic Games should be airbrushed out of the UK, The cost is astronomical, peoples daily lives will be disrupted, money is being wasted hand over fist,
Spot on.  While the tail is not quite wagging the dog, the instructions are coming from somewhere near.  Whoever had a part in making the decision, and there must have been a considerable number of persons in the decision making train, should be allowed some time on a training program about British history, and it should be at Jobseeker Allowance rates.  Possibly have their passports rescinded until they pass - if you want to become a UK citizen you have to pass an exam these days, I don't see why these should be any different.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:11:16 am »

Who ever agreed to erase  "h.m.s.belfast should be instantly sacked (the editor).This person should be named and shamed.
Rememember : 11/11/11

What a shame to erase the HMS Belfast !!!

On the other hand, each year when I came to Warwick it was an honnor for me to wear the poppies, then I explained this symbol to my collegues (French as me) and they wear it to.

Xtian 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

Hi remember Channel 4 did a programme on the finances of the London marathon, it did not reflect well on those involved and a lot of the same people appear to be part of the Olympic committee.
I expect the money is swilling about but unlikely to surface and do any good.

Personally if I am in and interested I shall watch on TV but otherwise I am not really a spectator, much prefer to take part.
I am not a sofa potato and have represented my county in a minor sport.
I know it takes dedication to be good at something, I used to be a runner, but I was not quite fast enough so walked away and did something else.
regards to all Roy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »

Hi Guys

Re HMS Belfast - I agree it was probably just an ad guy trying to provide a clean area for clear text. I don't think any insult was intended.

Re Olympic games and it's like; they cost  the taxpayer a fortune and to be honest I'm just not in favour of these things. Will the North, Wales or Scotland benifit very much from them - I doubt it. Will the South? Usually I have a positive attitude to most things but games are just a distraction for the masses - give us factories and jobs for our tax £'s I say  <*<. Or big subsidies for the Open University now that the cost of going to other uni's is frightening poorer kids away.

Regards Dave

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

I feel that the South which is where i live will get little benefit.Near to where i live over two million pounds is being spent on a two day event.In London priority routes are planned for the rich. Causing nothing but congestion for everyone else. Also theres the question of funding and maintaing these dinosaurs after the events. You have only to travel to other countries to see the abandoned legesy of disused building.We will also have disused train tracks after the events. Rest assured the good old tax payer will be footing the bill.John.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 08:13:58 am »

We have had the Olympics here in Canada three times, Montreal 1967, Calgary(my home town) 1988, & Vancouver 2010. On all three occasions at massive cost to the taxpayer. Montreal just finished paying off their massive debt just a couple of years ago. All the big shots arrive in their limos & demand to be treated like kings & queens, talk about corruption. I do hope your British athletes make a good showing though. Mick B.
Mick B.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:32 pm »

Hi Guys

Re HMS Belfast - I agree it was probably just an ad guy trying to provide a clean area for clear text. I don't think any insult was intended.

Re Olympic games and it's like; they cost  the taxpayer a fortune and to be honest I'm just not in favour of these things. Will the North, Wales or Scotland benefit very much from them - I doubt it. Will the South? Usually I have a positive attitude to most things but games are just a distraction for the masses - give us factories and jobs for our tax £'s I say  <*<. Or big subsidies for the Open University now that the cost of going to other uni's is frightening poorer kids away.

Regards Dave

Quite agree, The sailing event is being held in Weymouth and there to there will me much disruption, Harbour closed ( I believe fishing boats will be allowed in and out) Cafes forced to close for the duration. Much disruption in London, People who work in central London being told to stay off work as the public transport system will be nreeded for the games, tourism down, normal folks lives disrupted for a few running races and cannon ball chucking events. What right have they to do all this at public expense when OAP's will be freezing to death again this winter, Who will these games really benefit? certainly not we the taxpayer! How many Hospitals, schools, factories, aprentiships, services for the elderly etc etc could have been funded by the obscene amounts of money spent on this glorified school sportsday? I supose Boris and a few others will get knighthoods, MBE's OBE's etc, while the rest of us shiver for another winter. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <*< <:( <:( <:(

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:36 am »

Hi Nick, when the games(winter) came to Calgary in 1988, a large part of the population went on their winter holidays, the city was grid locked for the time the games was on. I could not afford to leave so was house bound most of the time. The whole thing is a total waste of taxpayers money. Mick B.
Mick B.

Paxton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:49 am »

Some of the controversial posters are still in tube stations in London.  For sure there are two at DLR Cutty Sark in Greenwich on the up and down escalators despite the announcement that they were being removed/replaced.

Dekan

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »

I think its high time "Traitors Gate" was reopened and a axe or two sharped.. :}

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »

No sharpening please - a nice repeated dull thud is called for  <*<
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.