Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: So who really won !!  (Read 6373 times)

The long Build

So who really won !!
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:48 pm »

German lessons for rail workers

Rail workers are being told to take German lessons as part of their training course for operating new track equipment, it has been revealed.

Staff on a recent course in Kent were told by Network Rail they had to learn a series of German phrases relating to instructions on track equipment, the Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said.

A Network Rail spokesman said: "Network Rail appreciates this is a difficult course and we're looking at ways to make it more accessible and easier to learn and understand.

"This German kit is well proven and highly reliable and will replace old worn-out components dating back 50 years, saving money and at the same time delivering more reliable infrastructure for passengers and freight users alike."

Officials said the development comes as German rail giant Deutsche Bahn looked to "tighten its grip" in the UK through the acquisition of the Grand Central franchise, opening up an opportunity to use EU rules to start running services on the east and west coast, and with the continuing row over the proposed award of the Thameslink fleet contract to Siemens at the expense of UK train building at Bombardier in Derby.

The RMT said it would be simpler and safer to get the equipment re-programmed with a translation into English rather than placing the responsibility to learn German on the workforce.

RMT general-secretary Bob Crow said: "From Siemens' involvement in the betrayal of Bombardier through to Deutsche Bahn taking over the UK's Grand Central franchise last week, EU diktat is driving a German corporate takeover of Britain's railways.

"Profits that could be invested in our services are instead spirited out of the country without touching the sides.

"It is extraordinary that the German companies can't even be bothered to translate their safety instructions into English and instead UK rail workers have to take responsibility with these crash courses in O-level German."

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/11/10/rail_workers_told_to_learn_german?vmsrc=pamread

<:( <:(

pettyofficernick

Re: So who really won !!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »

OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Another example of our once proud industries being sold down the river! It makes me mad! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <*<

wartsilaone

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »

I have to drive trains built in Derby by Bombardier and they are far from perfect.       It's no wonder Siemens won the bid to build the new trains.
The railway I work for will be run by the Dutch from February and on the freight side, EWS used to be owned by an American company.
 Since privatisation there has been foreign interests in our railway.   

That's Business I suppose.

Ali.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

hmm...think I'll sell my Mercedes.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »

Bombardier are Canadian I think ?
..well can you land on this?

wartsilaone

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »

Part owned by the French.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

Yes, Bombardier are Canadian,they also build aeroplanes, & have been bailed out numerous times by the Canadian tax payers. To say they have strong political ties would be an understatement, Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »

Wartsilaone, Bombardier are based in the French speaking province of Quebec, I think that is the french connection you are thinking of.
Mick B.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »

Hello

No part owned  by French (french speaking Quebec only)  here in France we have Alsthom.   Bombardier inc. is Canadian, Then the railways partt : Bombardier Transport is based in Germany (with canadian owner)

Word is strange, all is now under the hands of financials ... mostly based in London with money from sunny islands paradise !

Xtian  

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:58:21 pm »

For once I agree with the RMT
Cost of one translator versus cost of courses for numerous employees whom may or may not become literate in the German Instructions.
The excuse for the first accident will be 'The operator interpreted the instructions wrongly'
EU rules to run trains in UK
Hang on, Didn't we INVENT the things?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »

Could have been worse...might have been a Chinese company that got the contract  :embarrassed:
..well can you land on this?

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:24:03 pm »

I drive American locos, pulling Polish built waggons and the profits from my endevours end up in the middle east!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

wartsilaone

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »

I said part owned by the French because I believed, Alstom part own Bombardier.
As for having to learn German, This is typical of the railway wasting money I'm afraid.

Ali.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:28 pm »

Learning German is all very well but Technical German is a different beast altogether, best of luck, Nemesis

dbninja

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »

Learning German is all very well but Technical German is a different beast altogether, best of luck, Nemesis

OK good effort!

but lets take out all those unecessary spaces and punctuation!   lets do "technical German"....

learninggermanisallverywellbuttechnicalgermanisadifferentbeastaltogether

oh how i hate German technical manuals >>:-(

db

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »

I find the reference to 'who won (the war?) to be rather offensive, especially today tbh. I dont have a clue just why some folk seem to think this has anything to do with winning or losing' the war.' Rather, its a sad indictment of British workers who sat on their fat arses for too long during the 60's and 70's  and thought the world owed us a living.

While we had people going on strike at the drop of a hat, making shoddy equipment etc (look at the british car industry when BMW were just a 'quirky' foreign car manufacturer) and you can see the seeds of just why foreign companies now own so much of our infrastructure.

But hey ho, each to their own.

knoby

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »

I find the reference to 'who won (the war?) to be rather offensive, especially today tbh. I dont have a clue just why some folk seem to think this has anything to do with winning or losing' the war.' Rather, its a sad indictment of British workers who sat on their fat arses for too long during the 60's and 70's  and thought the world owed us a living.

While we had people going on strike at the drop of a hat, making shoddy equipment etc (look at the british car industry when BMW were just a 'quirky' foreign car manufacturer) and you can see the seeds of just why foreign companies now own so much of our infrastructure.

But hey ho, each to their own.

:-))

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »

tbh, some will find something offensive no matter what, in anything anyone does or says..

Personally I think that those we remembered today would not be pleased with the way this country is going..I know my Grandfather was,nt and that was over 20 years ago..

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 08:08:56 pm »

As far as I understand it, on the rail network all messages relating to safety (so that's pretty much everything on a railway) have to be made in English. So the safe training and mentoring for using equipment that could (if used incorrectly) result in accident or injury to the operator, his colleagues, the infrastructure, or the public - should therefore always be in English  O0

Dave

brianB6

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:54 pm »

Does that mean that all those foreign workers working for 'British Railways' are taught English?  <*<

wartsilaone

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 08:23:59 pm »

Sorry Brian. I'm sad to say it hasn't been 'British Railways' for a long time.

Ali.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:27:48 pm »

Nettleyned said
'The excuse for the first accident will be 'The operator interpreted the instructions wrongly'

Well if an employer says that (as they have control of the training and have recieved concerns from the RMT) it might be reasonable to say 'excuse'.
For the operator (who relies entirely on the employers training, and whose union has already questioned the safety of the process) I think the word 'reason' is more applicable
or at the worst 'contributory factor'

I'm not having a pop but just thought it was worth making the distinction

Dave

Tony S

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:43 pm »

This seems very strange to me because where I work we have German, Spanish and Italian plastic bottle blowing machines and all of them will operate in whatever language you care to choose, once you select it in the menu.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »

I absolutely agree with you Tony

Dave

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »

hmm...think I'll sell my Mercedes.

We have Mercedes ambulances here in Brisbane, catch is they are made by "KIA" and badged as Mercedes. <:( <:( <:(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.