Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS EXETER BUILD 1939  (Read 59761 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS EXETER BUILD 1939
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »

Hi all

An update on the build – 2 sub decks have been glued into place made from 1mm birch ply and on the sub decks the locations of the various superstructures and mountings drawn on – constructed the Barbettes first from plastic card and these and associate ribs have been glued onto the sub decks.  Now beginning to tedious job, of planking  - this is for the die-hards out there who believe that all British Warships follow laid down rules in their design and build.  I’ve spent a lot of time studying photographs of HMS Exeter the life size real ship – and can anyone see/tell me the 2 glaring differences – here is the first one: according to the bibles Battleships of the British Navy of 9” – 12” width planks and cruisers have 6” – 9” wide planks – have a look at the photographs which I have put and have a look at the width of HMS Exeter planks they must be in the region of 4” wide – just compare the width of the guy’s shoes who is standing on the aft-deck – average width of shoe is about 4” unless he has 6” wide shoes.
The next myth to be dispelled is that all ships have a space between the edge of ship and the wooden deck to allow the water to run into and then run overboard – not on Exeter – her marginal planks or her exterior width plank butts up against a wooden toe rail and that in turn butts up against a steel edge which in turn is flush with the outside of the ship.

Here’s the planking I have done so far....
Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »

:-))

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 10:09:47 pm »

Hi John, hope you dont mind me asking, did you make the tapered ends on your propshafts, or are they something I could buy? Im building the Hatchette Hood and those tapered ends look the "business". Fantastic build, I've already picked up some ideas for finishing my Hull once its planked.

regards

Les

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:04 am »

Hi Les

The prop tubes," A" frames and shafts are all homemade from standard materials bought - from EBay and machined using a lathe and electric drill

I think the firm prop shop supply similar shaped prop tubes and fitting http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/

aye

John

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:34 pm »

Thanks for the reply, checked out propshop, I see they do ww2 props, I will need 4 at nearly a tenner a piece plus vat and postage,
they also do the "A" frames. Better start saving my pennies!

Regards
Les

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »

Planking lovely planking  :o :o {-) {-)

As a friend said 'Dont look where you have to go, look where you have been  {-) {-) {-) {-)

aey
john

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »

Excellent John you old planker you.

Nearly half way then ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:41 pm »

looks really good John :-)) :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »

hi all

just a quick update - guess what - I am still planking.    I have finished the rear deck and now beginnning the front deck.   One thing I have learned is that when using 0.5mm thick planking - to achieve a nice black line on the edge of the plank to assimulate the black caulking; I found it best to glue the plank in place and then with a black biro pressed firmly into the subdeck and the edge of the plank - draw the line then and this achieves less overspill of ink onto the top of the plank.

couple of pics here to show - how I am getting on :-) straight jacket next week I think  %% %%
aye
john

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »

Just like watching paint dry John.

Looks smart though.   
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

Just found your build! congratulations,it is looking superb.If my build of HMS RAMILLIES looks even half as good as EXETER,then I shall be well pleased! Nice photos also.I wish my early photos were as clear.?I am not really a modeller,more of a muddler,so I am unable to make small fittings,and instead will rely on Haynes and Deans Marine fittings,which are excellent in their own right.I have just received a sample of Deans ready cut planking,and I will be using that.I wont be plating my model,as you say most of it disappears,and working out "stealer plates" is beyond me I'm afraid.I am going to keep a weather eye open on your build,I am going to learn a lot,so thanks for that.
Two queries for you please,which I can use on my build... What actual colour will you be using for the main hull,and will it be semi Matt or gloss?
And could you perhaps PM me with a diagram of how you do get the "caulking" effect on your deck planking please?
Your Ajax looks a wonderful build as well!
Cheers,
Mick

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

hi ya there  :-)) :-))

here's a quick scribble to try and explain how I am achieving the assimilated black caulking between planks - process I use - cut the planks to length (several of them) and in this case - they work out 3" being equivalent at 1:96 scale which is approx 24 ft in real life size.   The width of the plank is just under 2mm = to just over 6 - 7 inches broad.  In real life its a bit overscale in width.  The thickness of the plank is 0.5 mm.   Working from the centre of the deck; out over towards the edges; I begin by laying what is known as a 'King plank' down the centre line.   Between each joint of planks - I draw with a black biro pen on the edge of each plank so when they are butted together - end to end - you can see the black line between the planks.  Then, when the planks have dried on the long edge of the row of planks; with the biro pressed hard into the edge and sub deck - draw the black line.   Next stage is to glue the next row of planks which butt up against your first row of King planks - remembering to calculate the joint distances.   Hope this explains a bit more  :-))

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »

I experimented with this method when I was planking HMS Nubian, however, I used a felt tip and as you can imagine I got ink bleed into the wood so I don't recommend a felt tip. A ball point is the way to go. Perhaps a soft sharp pencil might do a similar job?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:02 pm »

Hey John,

Despite your modesty, she's coming on a treat - steady as she goes lad  :-)) :-)) :-))

We had a very brief meeting on Sunday last but great to see you on your feet again - keep it up mate.

Regards,

Ray.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:24 pm »

Thanks John,that certainly looks the way to go.I was planning to use thin card,between the planks but that would have been a mind blowing experience I think! Keep posting your progress.
cheers,
Mick

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

Hi again,
could I repeat my query as to what colour you will or have painted the main hull please? OK I know its grey,but there are so many variations out there I just don't know which brand,and shade to use? I was planning to use a semi matt shade .My build is for Atlantic colours,but I do not plan to use camouflage.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
I have posted this query previously,but again there were too many choices, so I thought a fellow British Warship builder would be able to supply the answer (I hope!)
Cheers,
Mick

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:37 am »

Great to see that you build your models the same way as mine and Mermod with the hull upside down and fingers holding the frames in alinement this is so easy to plank and glass up glad some one is building the same tassie48

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

hi ya Mike

sorry for the delay but I was hoping that someone else would pick up the topic of colours of Warships in general.

This is one of those Grey areas - as a school of thought if we paint a model in the exact same colours as the life-sized one, depending on the scale of the model, it just doesn't look right.

the correct Greys look too dark; etc.   So, a lot of us tend to use a bit artistic licence e.g. on HMS Exeter of 1939, when she engaged the Graf Spee - she would have been painted in a light grey for the southern hemisphere colours, which, according to White Ensign Co is RN03 - when you actually look at this, it looks like an 'off white' and just doesn't look right.    I have done some research and several people have suggested that Humbrol 147 matt grey was a better representation; so this is what I am going with for the main - this will overcoated with clear satin varnish - along with the rest of the hull.

For the hull red, I used Humbrol Matt 70 but no doubt throughout the superstructure, I will vary the greys by adding a bit of number 64 to the 147 to either lighten it or darken it - to try and break up the bland appearance of an 'all grey' hull.

Hope this is of some help - hope too that it gives you some idea of what to expect.   Sometimes its best to ask a question like this on the open forum and a variety of replies will come along and try these ideas out for yourself to see which suits you and your build.

aye
john e

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »

Thanks for the reply John. It never rains but it pours so they say.... Humbrol don't look like they do a spray version of 147, and Revell don't do an equivalent either! Looks like my only option is to buy the little tinlets, but its going to take an awful lot of them!
Cheers
Mick
(think I will stick to lifeboats in future, at least I can get the colours needed for them!)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

hi all

just a quick update

aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:57 pm »

see if I get the 504 timeout sign this time  %%

Just to fill in the gaps, the main decks I have finished planking; and it has a good old drop of Ringtons (geordie) tea to stain the deck, along with 5 coatings of satin varnish - started work on the superstructures now - namely the 2 boiler casings and the aft superstructure; been using lipo plate to skin the aft superstructure; gluing it onto the plywood with superglue.  Still not 100% sure of the adhesion of the lipo plate to the plywood - seems to peel off easily.   I am going to leave it overnight and have a fresh think tomorrow - might remove it and use plasticard.

aye
john

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

Hi John, looking good! I like the tea tip for staining,do you think Lifeboat tea will do the job (lol emb etc etc) ?
 When you say "lipo plate" do you mean Litho plate,by any chance? Superglue certainly does stick it, but please dont forget,that superglue is not supposed to be waterproof,so I can only assume it breaks down in time,if it gets wet (discuss?)
Cheers,
Mick

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »

thanks mate lithoplate 100 times I will write - lol - no excuses  >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*< %% %% %% %% :embarrassed:

anyway as far as waterpooring or even waterproofing is concerned of the superglue; many moons ago, back in the early 1980s I built meself the Moray Firth and I stuck all the plating on the hull with superglue - as yet nowt has dropped off - apart from me fingers when I went down the lake once on a cold day tstst anyway I find, as long as I give a good coating of paint to seal any joints between the plates, to prevent any water from getting in behind them, it seems to do the trick and the superglue hasnt deteriorated.
So I am hoping the same will apply to the lithoplate.  The only thing I am doing is scoring the back of the lithoplate with coarse emery to give it a key.  Did you see the other topic about scale painting?

aye
john

ps this is lithoplate Jim but not as we know it

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:57 pm »

thats good news my friend,as I use superglue a lot! yes thanks, I did see the other subject.been busy on Ramillies for the last couple of weeks as she is going up to Blackpool this weekend,to show the (small) progress to my good shipmates who served on her,The HMS RAMILLIES ASSOCIATION (got to publicise my website somehow !)
Mick

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:33 pm »

Goodness me, excellent build and building skills on show here!

Makes me embarrassed to say I call myself a 'model builder' after building the manufactured kits I buy compared to the scratch building on Exeter.  :embarrassed:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.