Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS EXETER BUILD 1939  (Read 59770 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS EXETER BUILD 1939
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:13 am »

Hi all

Just a quick up date its taken me a while to get back into modelling, cos I feel like we lost someone and it knocks the wind out of the sails for a bit, I am sure you know what I mean.  I have started doing my model again.   Begun making the funnel canvas cover caps made them from brass wire 05 and soldered with soft solder, found the best way for doing this was to actually draw the shapes out required on a bit of paper – stick the paper with cellotape to a bit of half inch thick balsa wood and pin the pieces in place over the top of the paper drawing and then solder.   Also have done more work on the funnels as the ladders for the siren platforms also the rear funnel search light platform.  Next.....starting to build the crane – this is made from 1.2 mm styrene angle from Plastistrutt – aye john e...
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:37 am »

:-))
more pics

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »

I am still well impressed with this build.I have gained so much knowledge from it.I just wish I had the skill to replicate it!I have made quite a bit of proress on my Ramillies, but as I hardly put my models on the water,I am using card of various types and thicknesses,like corn flake and weetabix boxes.I will overcoat this with varnish or other material,to give it some degree of water resistance.I just hope it doesnt warp!
Mick F

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »

hi ya well its taken me a day and a half to clean the dust off me model .... aye .... started where I left off, building the aircraft crane.  Ive been making the base unit - its all made out of plaststrip angle and H bar - some pics just to get the build back under way.
aye
john

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »

Hi Mate
Nice to see you have started on the Exeter. It really looked  great on the build bench. when I popped over. Me I've just finished the helicopter deck railing pics in mail tomorrow..knackered

Martin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »

Hi Bluebird

Good to see you back, hope you are well.
Your work, as always, is fantastic, I'm studying your build of the crane/derricks so I've got a clearer idea how they look, a thank you for now if I copy some of your ideas :}
Looking forward to your next instalment.

Best regards

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »

So nice to see you back.  Just like old times.   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »

Count me in - great to have you back John, hope you've kept your passport up to date (the one that gives you access to the NORTH of the Tyne)  {-)

Regards,

Ray.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »

Always look forward to your posts  :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »

cheers lads for the welcome back - what is they say - owld pigeon always find way home :-)
Ray I will have to have my passport restamped for the North side :-)

Nick B when I was doing some research for the crane for Exeter I found it was modified about 3 times or so she had weights added to her when she took on the Walrus' and then she seemed to have side plating added to her which wrapped around the sides of the crane base up until her refit after the battle of the River Plate in 1940 when side plating seems to have been removed and more weights added to her.  Before I started building the crane, I had a good look round to see if anyone manufactured one and the closest I could see was the one John Haynes does, but even that would have needed modification.
Aye,
John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »

hi just finished the crane, and adding the side plating and the rigging just a few more bits of touch up paint work to start and then that will be finished.   Now moving on the after search light platform and surrounding area.  First job is to make three galley stove chimneys from various plastistrut tubing of about 1/16 diameter or was it 3/32 lads?   Have you noticed, I am busy trying out a product from GamesWorkshop supplied from my son from his Warhammer models, its called Liquid Greenstuff - its a filler - very much like a very thick paint, water soluble and its ideal for filling in small joints and leaving it for about an hour and you can sand it. So now I will need to purchase a new bottle for my son - well worth a try.  Couple of pics to show me progress :-)
aye John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59:06 pm »

hi ya all just a quick update; started on the rear superstructure and the searchlight platform. Fitted the saluting guns, 2 either side and also handrails, ladders and a winch drum which is protruding out of the superstructure side.   No doubt this winch drum would have been used for hauling the awnings up on the aft deck and cable work - but - I bet it claimed a few sailors kneecaps when they walked around the deck unaware of it sticking out of the bulkhead.   I include a photo where Sir Winston Churchill boarded the Exeter after her battle with Graf Spee and you can see the officer leaning over the drum.
aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2013, 07:15:17 pm »

hi ya
time for another update

moving on to build the motor launch and sailing cutter boat framework supports; originally I was going to make these so they lifted off with the top superstructure; but realised they would become very vulnerable whilst moving the top half of the superstructure around and also that they would be pretty flimsy - so I decided to fasten them to the deck and side bulkhead on the model - but - to give them some strength I made a sub frame out of brass road and brass sheet - the brass rod was 3/32 diameter and the brass sheet was 3/32 x 1/32 thick.  The holes were marked off along the deck so the brass rod could be glued in place and then the cross beams fitted at the top to corresponding notches cut into the side walls and the cross beams were soft soldered into place to the brass bar.  Then, using 0.5 plasticard strip I encased the brass, gluing it with superglue.  Then the actual boat chocks were made from 0.5 mm plasticard and glued into place.   Next stage - throw a bucket of paint over :-( and move onto the next jobby doing the other side.

I will come back later on to produce the davits for the gig boat - as I feel if I put them on now, I am more than likely to knock them off with me clumsy hands - as I am building the rest of the model.

hey ho.
aye
john

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »

That seems like a good solution for the ships boats - will the boats be rigged to come away with the superstructure or will they be unhooked from the davits and left on the chocks ? - just curious mate  ok2

Regards,

Ray.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2013, 01:24:31 pm »

hi ya Ray

With a bit luck, the boat should remain on the boat chocks as the Davits are located on the hull sides, so all the rigging should stay intact.  But, now I am looking at it, with the width of 2 of the motor launches, it may cause a bit of a problem - now you have mentioned it  {:-{  put that down to sort out at a later date, :-) .

At the moment I am busy building the chocks for the portside boats.

How are you getting on with your model, I have been watching the build, looks good.

aye
John

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »

Just little bits 'n bobs John - PM sent  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »

hi just a quick update; havent done much due to the fact I have been trying to salvage what is left of me transmitter batteries and Gell cells and Nicads.   With me taking that short break away from me hobby - neglect crept in.  Consequently, when I come to check on the batteries, several of them we deed as dornails and had to be binned :-/ - so been charging, cleaning etc. the batteries and general maintenance, coffee, electricals, coffee, tea etc., amazing how things can deteriorate when not watching them and how cold the teas and coffees go :-)
Been doing a bit on the 4lb side guns - assembling them and now ready to paint along with the rest of the lifeboat chocks.
aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »

hi ya all, just a quick update - I am still doing the life boats and Davitts - going to solve the problem of the rear deck removal by moving the lifeboats on either side out by about 3 mm.  This should give me enough clearance to enable me to lift the deck that contains the aircraft catapult off to enable access to the switches and motors.  Couple of pics.
aye
John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2013, 06:17:24 pm »

It's a really lovely model John. Keep up the good work.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »

The davits look real.  Smashing job there young man.   :}

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:46 pm »

Hi all
Thanks for the kind comments and time for an update.
Been doing the Davits and the boats for the portside now and a bit of the rigging on the blocks.  I was trying to think of a way of manufacturing the large Carley Floats and I think I have come up with an acceptable way of making them for anyone interested and I have made them from Milliput.   The way I have made them was make meself a small rolling board up with 2 parallel strips of wood glued to it - the wood that is glued to it is the same thickness/height as the Carley float ring.   Next thing I made was a balsa wood male mould of the correct diameter and dimensions of the internals of the Carley float.
I mixed the Milliput together as per instructions and rolled out a long parallel sausage using the rolling board and a piece of flat ply over the top resting on the two parallel bits of wood which produced a parallel sausage.   This sausage was then wrapped around the male balsa wood insert, trimmed to size and left to dry.   The only thing I found was I was a bit inpatient and I tried to pop out the insert before the Milliput was totally dry and it distorted a couple of the Carley floats.   
The internal flooring of the Carley floats is just styrene strip glued underneath the Carley float and I am also using thread to do the lashings around the float.
aye
John

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2013, 02:54:18 am »

John
It's a fine looking model.  :-))

Can I ask, what are you planning to use for rigging, rope, etc? I'm at that point now and have to chose from 'Egyptian cotton' thread, brass or copper wire or black fishing twine.

All have good and bad points.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2013, 03:23:57 am »

Guys....may sound crazy....but mono filament dental floss for teeth is worthy of consideration
1. it is immensely strong O0 ...you would cut your fingers OFF prior to shearing a single strand
2. comes as a flat or roundish strand profile
3. has the quality of ZERO stretch
4. will accept solvent based TEXTA colours ...so a multitude of shades can be achieved....... %)  ......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2013, 10:44:55 am »

I use black fishing line , readily available on-line

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »

For the finer rigging you could also consider the thread used by anglers to tie flies; there is also a fine wire used to tie flies, both availbale in black. A good source is an Orvis store.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.