Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear  (Read 114755 times)

Reg Hinnant

Re: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

Jerry, I think you need a set of dental scrapers. {-)
All kidding aside I do think you will find scraping is the best answer. Possibly make a few the right size from old hacksaw blades.
The sooner you get to it the easier it wil be to remove O0
Reg

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »

^ +1 to that.

Scrape it.  :-))

You mention it's flexible at the moment. Are you going to add timbers (steamed sticks) to hold it all together?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:29 am »

Yes Andy, 2 turning blanks of reasonably straight  grained Ash arrived yesterday of E-bay. If you zoom on the pic you can just see that I precursor the hog to take the timbers. Next are 3 longitudinal stringers each side, then about 10 floors and finally the deck which extends from ford both sides and aft. There is also a transverse bulkhead with a door on the stbd side just aft of the engine. All that will stiffen her up nicely.  I agree scraping is the way to go. A chisel was great on the convex outside but very difficult on concave inner. Not being fixed to the bench doesn't help either. Will sit and look at it for a while and inspiration will come.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

oops, in last post first of read off and precursor read pre cut. Predictive text on i phone.

I got these off freecycle a while back off a retired dentist by the name of Daffyd ap Mengele who said work dried up after being kicked out of the Gestapo dental department for cruelty. He reckoned he was a scapegoat cos they were all at it.
So I got scraping. I found one tool in particular very effective.

I call it the sand wedge, and for finishing in the corners, the other end.

so after 4 hours I'd got the big stuff off and started coarse sanding and it looks like this now. The top, after sanding and lower, before.

And finally, a better pic showing the beautiful rich colour of the unvarnished wood. It will burst into flame when varnished!!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

Now that's satisfying work - the end result will be beautiful!

Andy

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »

Thanks Andy, really looking forward to getting the varnish on her. Today I finished off sanding inside. Next I cut out and sanded ash stock for the 2.5mm x 4mm timbers. I had a little play and, like the planks, they will bend without steaming. So in preparation for attaching the timbers I secured the shell back on the building board. The table is level,the board is level, the stem and transom are plumb and the gunwhales are level. The gauge in the middle is adjustable and sets the width at each station.
    So the plan is:- 1) set the gauge on station 5.
                          2) fit the timbers in that general area, temporarily pinning center to keel while glue at keel goes off and temp pinning each timber close to sheer line.
                          3) move gauge to station 6 and repeat process.
                          4)  do stn 4,7,3,8,2 and 9 until all timbers pinned in position. stn 1 has p&s timbers.
                          5) apply 2 coats of epoxy inside.
                          6) make up and when epoxy gone off, remove pins and fit 3 pairs longitudinal stringers.
                          7) make up and fit ash breasthook and p&s quarter knees.
Doing all this with hull clamped to board should make it easy for me and result in a true hull shape. I hope.

I think I've got a bad back like patternmaker. Could it be that modelmaking is hazardous to our health??

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:32 pm »

The hull looks superb.  :-))

You might find that raising your table and working standing up (with the table at an ideal height for your stature) improves things a lot. Bear in mind that kitchen work surfaces are regularly set to the average height of women. Too low for me (five feet eleven) for a protracted spell of choppin' and stirrin'.

Andy

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Loud and clear Andy. I am building on a canteen type table. I do sit down whenever possible but I get so involved I forget and my posture goes out the window. It's exactly the same pain I got when leaning into my kids enterprise when I sanded all the old varnish down to the wood. It's not serious and goes away with rest. Trouble is once I start something I keep at it until it's completed. I'm probably my own worst enemy. I'll try to be more careful. Thanks for the interest and encouragement. Jerry.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 06:10:35 pm »

Today I started on the timbers. It went as hoped. After completing each station I made up a cross tie to replace the gauge as it was moved to the next station. The remainder I will need to steam the middle part only and will do it with the kettle. Tomorrow though as I'm now too tired to do it justice!!!

While doing this job I got to thinking about the decking. Black or white caulking between the planks? The boat is, when you think about it, a lot of mahogany. Then my son-in-law to be suggested alternate ash and mahogany with black caulking. Interesting,any thoughts out there?? The plans call for parallel planks.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Patternmaker

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 06:26:23 pm »

Looking superb Jerry, teak deck with black caulking would look good, gives a subtle contrast to the mahogany.

Regards Mick

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »

Thanks for that Mick, will bear that in mind. Initial thoughts are 1. teak has high silica content and dulls tools rapidly, 2, problematic when varnishing due natural oils. 3, looks good when scrubbed and bleached by hot tropical sun. 4, my deck scrubbing days are long gone, even in miniature and 5, I ain't got none! No, wait a minute, what's the patio table made of. Could it be teak? Just thinking out loud honeysuckle!! Only joking!
Seriously now, your steamboat absolutely stunning. I always set my sights high but your build is up there with the best and has genuinely earned it's "Bernard bonus". He looks extremely lifelike.
    The other day someone posted about "o" rings in Aldi, so I looked on tinterweb and saw they also selling tap & die set and, as I had given mine away when I stopped restoring motorbikes, and knowing I'm going to have to shorten my propshaft I thought I'd get a set. Friday morning I realised I'd forgotten all about it so I dashed into Bangor in the hope there were still some left. I got there and found I'd only forgotten my wallet hadn't I! Dashed back then returned to find plenty left so I grabbed a set and seeing as I'd done two trips I might as well grab the "o" rings as well. Now, usually with me, If I've got a load of something and I need one, I'll have every one but the one I need so, when, last night the wife said, "the kitchen sink is leaking into the cupboard underneath" I had a look and low and behold it needed an "o" ring. Would you believe it, I had one that fitted. So a good day.
    Today I wanted to finish off the timbers but knew I was going to have to steam them. I had already planned for this and designed a steambox bearing in mind all I had learned from previous instances. Yes, sewer pipe with screw on end caps fitted with handles so I don't burn myself. Good supports fixed securely to a firm base so the heat doesn't cause it all to droop slowly to the deck before the wood is properly done. Insulation so the heat stays inside and something to catch all the condensate so I don't slip on the workshop floor when dashing from steambox to model with piping hot piece of wood. Does this ring any bells?
   Then I thought, "jerry, you've only got 5 pieces to steam so K.I.S.S..
here's what I came up with.

Easy peasy. A bit of low cloud in the workshop but no actual precipitation. Job's a good'un.

Using same method steamed one sheer clamp and fitted it temporarily with clamps. will leave overnight and let it settle. cos the rugby's on and it's my halfday.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Patternmaker

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »

Hi Jerry,
I don't use varnish on teak for the reason you said, I use Danish Oil as on Wide A Wake's deck.

Mick

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 05:46:23 pm »

Mick, funny you should say that. For the last four days we've been putting Danish oil on a new sideboard and have plenty to spare. Does it weather well? I never even thought about it. I've never used it before but it certainly did a lovely job on the sideboard. Seeing you on canvey island reminded me of my dinghy sailing days at HMS Worcester. Every year I came down for the Holehaven regatta on a Thames barge towing our RNSA and Tideway dinghys behind. We ate and slept on her for the duration. Remember too going ashore in an RNSA , tying up to the PLA jetty and scooting into Southend, getting palatic and returning to find dinghy hanging from painter, 15 feet above the water. Happy days. We were learning to be leaders of men! Pathetic.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Patternmaker

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »

Hi Jerry, yes it does weather extremely well its used full size boats with teak timber also exterior oak & mahogany window frames & doors, it takes about 24hrs to dry, I apply 3 coats.

You must have had a few drinks in the Lobster Smack at Holehaven, its still open.
My grandfather was a Thames Barge skipper on Enchantress which was destroyed in a air raid at London docks
in 1940.

Mick

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »

We didn't drink that close to home, to many people to dob us in. We could lose ourselves in Southend. I can't remember the name of the barge that tied us down but he picked up boats and crews from Erith, Worcester, West Thurrock and Gravesend, so there was a really good bunch of us on board. We used to cook on primus stoves.  Would not be permitted now. We also had a very close relationship with Everards. Quite a few cadets would do summer voyages with them and if anything needed doing on the ship their shipwrights were always helpful.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2012, 06:09:58 pm »

Today I fitted Ash sheerclamps and stringers. On completion, I marked out, cut on the scrollsaw and fettled on the sanding station, the shaft log(I looked it up OK), quarter knees and breasthook. I used Sapele for these parts. All secured with polyurethane glue. I also added 2 extra pairs of timbers in the bow. All this has really stiffened up the hull.   

I aim to get some of the 12 floors made tomorrow. Before I fit them I will bore out for the sterntube. Depending on where on the shaft log it comes out will determine the cutaway in the floors for the steam plant tray.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

ooyah/2

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 11:52:16 am »

Jerry,
What a fabulous build, both you and Patternmaker are in the master builder class.
Keep your eye off that new side board for your next build.
Look forward to seeing the launch with the steam plant.

George.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »

Thankyou so much George. Patternmaker is I'm sure an inspiration to many. Whenever things don't go as well as I would like and I get dispirited and think OK that will be good enough, I stop and think, "what would Mick think?" Makes it easy to continue and get it right.
Anyway today, as planned, I made a start on the floors. First I used one of these.

I transferred the shape of the hull at each floor position onto stiff card. I cut these out and offered each one to it's position hard against it's adjacent timber. Holding each one in it's correct position I drew the outline of the timber on the card. I then thickness planed a piece of mahogany to the 6mm thickness of the floors. I pinned each card onto the stock and drew around the card allowing 3 mm for the thickness of the timbers. I cut them out at the scrollsaw. With a little fettling on the sander they fit OK.
I levelled the gunwhales with a spirit level, then placed a straight edge perpendicular to the keel across the gunwhales. I used the bottom edge of the straight edge as a "sight" to get the top surface of each floor level. I then put register marks on the floor and keel at each position to guide me when I glue the floors in position.

I was in the process off adjusting the heights of the floors when I had to accompany the Memsahib to the tattoo parlor for her 1st ever tattoo. She was very brave and now has a pretty flower and vine pic on her foot. I will probably kip in the spare bedroom cos she'll be moaning all night!!
   When I have them all the correct height I will temporarily secure them so I can put the steamplant tray in position and mark them for the cutouts for the plant. The plant needs to be as low as possible for stability and to line up with the propshaft.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Ado grime en

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2012, 11:49:23 am »

Great build jem, Cant wait to come and see.  Did those bits arrive?
ben

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »

Time now to bore for the sterntube. I made a jig, so:-

I drilled a 6mm hole through to inside, so:-

Next I made the outer sterntube fitting and bolted it to the skeg with spare bolts from the TVR1A steam engine. It's purely cosmetic but true to the plans.

Then I made a similar fitting for the inboard end of the sterntube. I will add a dummy grease cup. This fitting should be purely cosmetic also, but when drilling for the sterntube I made one of these. It's called, (amongst other things), a horlicks!!!!

The first 6mm hole came out 1mm low and 1mm to stbd. I never expected it to be perfect. The plan was to follow through with an 8mm drill which would have allowed me to get the tube straight. I didn't plan on the 8mm drill taking a completely new path. A lot of bodgeing later and I managed to get the tube right. Now, the purpose of the Inner fitting is to hide my bad job. Before fitting the tube permanently I will pore resin down around the tube before replacing the inner gland/guide.

I had to shorten the tube by about 2". The bushes were a good tight fit in the ends of the tube, so, to avoid chewing them up I put the tube in the chuck on the lathe and the bush in the drill chuck on the tailstock. I turned the chuck by hand whilst pulling out on the tailstock lever and the bush came out cleanly. I shortened the tube on the lathe and replaced the bush reversing the removal method. I won't shorten the shaft until the engine bearers are in.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:54 am »

Hi Jerry, why "a dummy grease fiiting"? Wouldnt it be worthwile making a working one? I use a fishing reel grease which is almost liquid and would probably slowly drip down through an oiler type fitting. I am always cursing having to pull shafts out to lube them when doing annual maintenance. Just a thought, cheers, Ian.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »

Hi Ian. Stainless steel shaft running in bronze bushes at 500RPM in fresh water. Do I need grease? I've never bothered before on higher speed shafts with more twist and suffered no ill effects. As long as they let a bit of water in that is.

This was the view from my window this morning. I can even see the new cafe! Stunning. I is lucky boy.
Ok, short day today. After a lot of fiddling with the floors/bearers yesterday and not getting them right, I threw my hand in and left it until this AM. Got them in position and leveled and finally secured. Next I made up and fitted the carlins that the forward cockpit deck will sit on.

I will have to make another, larger diameter, oil separator and resite the feed pump as both foul the hull planking. When the separator is raised to clear the planks it is too high. So to keep or increase separator volume I need to go to 1.5" dia.. Also found that in order to align the propshaft with flywheel I needed to move steam plant 1/2" forward. I will need to move feed pump assy. 1/2" aft so it still hidden inside seat. No problems, only opportunities!! CofG still feels OK.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

rmaddock

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 05:04:13 pm »

Jerry, words are not sufficient to describe the wonder that you are creating. Fantastic!

As an aside, we went up Sour Howes here in the Lakes this morning. The photo below is looking your way. You can't see it in the picture but it was so exceptionally clear that we could see the hills of Wales on the horizon beyond Blackpool. So, we could probably just about see your new cafe too  :o

Keep up the posts, it's fascinating.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »

I have worked on it more or less solidly since middle of November, nearly 500 hrs. Kind words of encouragement always well received and spurs us on to better things. Thankyou.  It's about time I returned to the lake district. Many happy hours spent camping at Brotherswater on the bike and later with the children. Maybe I'll bring her up and give her a go on Windermere. I'm going to trade the BMW K 100 in and downsize (and speed) to a new Royal Enfield. Can see myself pottering around the lakes again. What do you think
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

rmaddock

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »

A K100? I used to have a K100!  :-)) It left home just after the first child arrived.  {:-{

Personally, I'd keep the flying brick but I can see the appeal of the "classics". Our neighbor has a number of vintage motorcycles in his garage...all rather nice. And his partner has just been given (!) a free Enfield.

You should revisit the Lakes, yes, but Coniston's much nicer than Windermere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.