Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear  (Read 114774 times)

kno3

Re: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2012, 01:57:41 pm »

Did you make the pump or buy it? If bought I'd like to know the source, thanks.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

:-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »

Made an economiser coil to heat my feedwater from the pump with waste flue heat. I began by making a former out of scrap 1/2" copper pipe as in last picture. (can't seem to right click on pic code to cut and post)????

Next I filled a length of 5/32" OD pipe with water, plugged the ends with bluetack and put it in the freezer for an hour. When well frozen put the former in the vice, upright, and then put the end of the frozen pipe down inside the former and quickly wound the coil around the former. No appreciable kinks, simples. Silver soldered the connectors on the cropped ends. Offered the coil up to the flue opening and marked lip for grinding out two semicircles to locate terminals. I refitted the chimney and used the semi circles to guide a 4mm drill through the chimney. Finally I cut two slots down from the holes to slide over coil terminals, locking the coil in position.

I made a start also on the new oil separator tank. From an old brass letterbox donated by a friend from Llyn Padarn I made top and bottom covers. I need to take the 42mm tube to someone local with a lathe to crop it neatly to the correct length.

I'm off to the Ellesmere Port show next weekend and my o/h suggested we take the caravan so will have to get her out from cover and check her over. The caravan that is, the o/h is beyond help! Found a little site nearbyish. There are quite a few going from Llanberis so see you all on Saturday.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

ooyah/2

« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2012, 11:19:55 pm »

Jerry,
No need to turn the end of your 42 mm tube.
Take a sheet of A4 paper and wind it around the tube making sure that the overlap is tight, run a pencil mark round the  edge of the paper which will give you a near true edge.
Set it up on 'V' blocks, if you don't have them open up your vice to let the tube sit in and you can get a hold of it and then cut round the pencil mark with a fine tooth saw, preferably an ECLIPSE JUNIOR  hack saw, turning the tube as you go following the pencil line, then clean up with a large flat file.

Of all the boilers that I have made I use this method and have never turned a tube in the lathe.

Your pump and water heater look great and there should be enough space thro' the heater coil not to choke the burner heat.

George,

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »

George, sorry, I haven't been ignoring you but have been:- getting the caravan ready for Ellesmere Port, rebuilding the steam plant, setting out servos, cleaning "Parat" and "Aziz" and to top it all, the lights in the bathroom all failed last night and it appears I'm going to have to take the ceiling down!
I don't know how others clean their models but I pretend they're the real thing so I sugi them with spray flash and a medium stiff artists paint brush for a striker, then hose 'em down!! I put all batteries on charge and this pm will replace RX in "Parat", test the gear and load up.

So back to the build, three micro servos, the left one operates the regulator the right one operates the reversing gear and the middle one will somehow operate the whistle. I haven't decided how yet as the canopy will need to be removeable. Operating the boat will be a case of:- canopy off, plant out, fuel and  hot water in, plant in, connect servo links,  connect feed pump suction and bypass overside discharge pipes, flash up, raise steam, warm through, test controls and go???? What did I forget? Defo need preflight checklist for this one!!!

Also made up a skin fitting for the feedpump suction pipe. It will connect to the pump with silicone hose.

Now a walkround the plant, the bypass valve will be replaced by a 90degree valve after Ellesmere Port and the oil separator tank will be replaced by a new larger diameter and lower tank. Until I can get the 90 deg valves at the show I don't actually know the height required for the tank.
I also have to make a new, improved, safety valve blow off pipe to divert excess steam above the canopy. The cap needs to be secured to the safety valve body, possibly with a bayonet fitting. Any suggestions? And finally Do I really have to keep polishing all the copper and brass or is there a good lacquer available?

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

We had a great time at the Ellesmere Port show. A terrific venue, good weather, good food and good people. A special mention for Michael Friend who assisted me in launching and recovering Parat and even towed both boats on a trailer to the car. Very much appreciated Michael, thankyou.
     I was unable to get any steam fittings at the show but did manage to sell and get a good price for my much too big feed pump and oiler at the bring and buy. Thanks guys.

So, back to the build. I finished fitting the toe rails on the foredeck and the cockpit coaming. The hull construction is more or less finished with just panelling, four seats, a dropleaf table, a bulkhead a canopy and a steering wheel to make to fit it all out. Then I should have the steam plant completed so lots of rubbing down and varnishing to complete.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »

Today I set about making the cockpit bulkhead. First I set up and supported a piece of card in the plane of the planned bulkhead. I made a pointer out of a bit of scrap. The pointer has one straight edge and a small notch cut in it. To use, put the pointy end on any position on the inside of the hull, with the pointer flat on the card, then draw a line from the edge of the card using the straight edge. When the pencil point drops into the notch it makes a mark on the line. Call this point 1. repeat, working around the inside of the hull until you have touched about every 1/2" of the perimeter of the bulkhead numbering consecutively until you have enough points marked on the card. So:-

Now I removed the card and taped it to a larger piece of card. Using the pointer, find point 1 and position the notch over it and the straight edge along the line from point 1 to the edge of the smaller card. Now make a mark on the large card directly under the pointy end. Repeat for all the marks.

Join up the dots and you end up with an outline of the bulkhead on the large card. So:-

Next I cut out the the bulkhead template, offered it up inside the hull and made a few adjustments until I was satisfied with the fit.
Then I pinned the template to a building board and with strips of ash I made up a framework on the card onto which I cyo'd alternate planks of oak and mahogany 2.5mm thick. Trimmed to shape at the sanding station. Finally I removed the card and fitted planks to the other side of the frame. The brass strip that can be seen near the bottom left is to simulate a brass threshold to the door that isn't. I will add dummy hinges and a false lifting cap rail to secure the door after varnishing.
The final pic is an attempt to demonstrate to the memsahib why a boat that currently, sans steam plant, weighing in at a mere 4lb 14oz, needs a whole coffee table that you can get ruptured lifting to make it out of!!!

The workshop deck was clean before starting today and the pile is what I swept up after completion and that doesn't count what's still stuck in kity!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »

Sorry, missed one.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »

Yesterday I completed and fitted the cockpit bulkhead. I made a dummy door with dummy hinges and made a lifting section in the capping above the door. It's all fake cos I reckon the figures I will fit in the model won't bother opening it anyway.

Today I made a new oil separator. A goodly bit of polishing to go, then I will clad it with mahogany strips and brass straps. It has a larger capacity and looks more in balance than the original one.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

ooyah/2

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

Nice work Jerry, but does the separator need to be so big ?
George.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »

I really don't know George. I do know that the one I built first would fill up in less than an hour.  I have been known to over engineer in the past though. I won't really know if it's too big but I'm sure it's not too small.  I chose the height so that the exhaust elbow lined up with the hole in the flue. My biggest concerns are weight and trim. By calculation I am close to max displacement. The only thing I have to move to change trim is the receiver battery pack. If she ends up trimmed by the head I will have to move the gas tank aft. My gut feeling is that she is pretty close. I have often thought that many of the open launches I have seen seem to be well past their marks.
     I cut the pipe the way you told me and it worked great. When turning brass in a lathe, is it ok to use a parting off tool to reduce the diameter of a part between two wider parts because the gap is too small to get my normal tools in? I'm wary off using any tool for what it wasn't  designed to do. I want to turn some deck cleats.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:23 pm »

Jerry....your build is progressing in a beautiful manner...your copper tubing is straight.....horizontal &/or vertical........ :-)).

A well respected former mayhem member [Sandy Campell from ACS Engineering] suggested to me that a de-oiler capacity of 20% of the boiler fluid volume is adaquate.....after all we are only capturing the oily water condensate that is not carried off as clean steam......

I do not see the facility to manually evacuate or drain your de-oiler..............is it by a forced blow down only?........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17:17 am »

Thanks Derek. I was never satisfied with the first attempt so I got a set of external spring bending tools. I found that , like the internal springs of my amateur plumbing days, they make a great bend with no distortion but then they won't come off. I've tried oil,tallow and wax but always end up with copper macrame. In fact I'm a black belt 4th dan now. What's the secret?
  Reference draining I just open the valve with the engine running and it blows the condensate overside to a receptacle. I found no need to squeeze the pipe to the flue, there is sufficient pressure in the separator to blow it up the drain pipe. Why do they call averything blow down, is it not PC to say blow up?
regards
jerry
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

Back again Derek. I have been doing some sums. I have not seen anything regarding size of the separator so have sucked it and seen. The 20% figure is interesting. My 1st one was 2.6cm I / D x 11.2cm height = 69 cc The new one is 4cm diameter so 203% bigger= a fraction over 20% of the 675 cc boiler capacity.  If it looks right it will fly!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

ooyah/2

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »

I really don't know George. I do know that the one I built first would fill up in less than an hour.  I have been known to over engineer in the past though. I won't really know if it's too big but I'm sure it's not too small.  I chose the height so that the exhaust elbow lined up with the hole in the flue. My biggest concerns are weight and trim. By calculation I am close to max displacement. The only thing I have to move to change trim is the receiver battery pack. If she ends up trimmed by the head I will have to move the gas tank aft. My gut feeling is that she is pretty close. I have often thought that many of the open launches I have seen seem to be well past their marks.
     I cut the pipe the way you told me and it worked great. When turning brass in a lathe, is it ok to use a parting off tool to reduce the diameter of a part between two wider parts because the gap is too small to get my normal tools in? I'm wary off using any tool for what it wasn't  designed to do. I want to turn some deck cleats.

Jerry ,
I take it that you want to machine a smaller dia on an existing dia,  i.e. if say you had a piece of 1/4" dia brass bar and you wanted to machine a smaller dia but leave the 1/4" dia on both sides.
No problem just make sure that the parting tool has a flat face parallel to the bar that you wish to cut and take small cuts and then move the saddle back and forward to get a smooth finish, don't have the bar too far out of the chuck as the bar will vibrate and the tool will dig, if you don't understand what I am saying P.M. me and I will make a sketch.

George.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »

Thanks George, got it in one. I'll put a pic up soon as I make them. Once again, thankyou.
Jerry.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »

Today Oi ave mostly been searching the local haberdashery for suitable material to make cushion covers out of. I found a very tight green gingham which suits the scale of the boat and is kind of summery and evocative of picnics and champagne ( allegedly). Also got a couple of meters of fine scalloped lace for a pelmet on the canopy. Neither material was used on the original launch but I don't think green leatherette will do it justice.
     On my return I milled up some 6mmx4mm sapele for the oil separator cladding, cut a load to length and chamfered the edges with the block plane and stuck em on with a dab of cyo in the middle to hold em. Then I rounded off the outside with a file and some sandpaper before finally pulling them in and securing with brass straps and two 12BA nuts, bolts and washers. Will varnish the separator when I do the rest of the boat.
     Made up new exhaust steam and drain pipes and plumbed the tank in. Made a cover and pipe to fit on the boiler safety valve and fitted it to the after end of the chimney.
     All that remains to do on the steam plant is to lag the hot pipes and turn and fit a skin fitting for the feed water overboard bypass pipe.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »

George, PM sent.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »

Today I made a start on the helmsmans cockpit. Made up, assembled and fitted the aft seat/locker and two underdeck side shelves. If my guesstimate is correct the receiver battery pack will need to be as far aft as possible and to stbd. I put the receiver switch in the back rest and the chargeing lead is accessed by lifting the seat.The holes are to ease removal when required. Each part is secured by the next part, Chinese puzzle fashion, there are only 2 screws used and they locate the seat riser. There will be two cushions on the aft seat. The helmsman has his own chair a bit like a Windsor chair. I haven't been able to find one in 1/8th scale so will have to make it myself. The same with the wheel, it's 70mm diameter. I will make a vertical box to mount the wheel on and it will cover the propshaft coupling at the same time. A 1" dia compass binnacle fits on top of the box and bulkhead capping. An enjoyable, productive days work.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:00 pm »

Jerry your workmanship is first class & your woodwork is as good or better than any I have seen on the forum,I am following your thread every step of the way. Thank you for being so kind to share with us lesser mortals. Mick B.
Mick B.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »

Crikey Jerry. You're on your boat's comfy chairs and I'm still struggling towards mine.  :}

Beautiful work as ever.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2012, 06:02:41 pm »

Andy and Mick B., thankyou for your kind comments. Sorry I couldn't answer them but it seems there has been "trouble at 'mill". I'm finally back on but all my previous posts seem to be by Gregk9. He's an impostor!! Also, most of us seem to be newbies again. I suppose it'll come out right in the end????

Since "the crash" I have been in a state of shock. Giving up mayhem was harder than giving up smoking!!

I have carried on with building and fitting the launch's furniture. After the aft cockpit seat/storage I moved forward and made the engineers seat/storage and the raised panel sides before moving right forward to make the forward seats/storage and vertical panelling. The port seat is almost complete and then I will copy it for the stbd side. Then just the steering wheel assy. and dropleaf table to do before moving on to the canopy. I made a horlicks of cutting out relief holes for the servo rods so rather than remake the whole panel, I made a whatnot shelf to hide the mistake.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:49 pm »

Hello Jerry!

Are you certain that you're not the imposter? I've never heard of you before!  {-)

I know what you mean about giving up Mayhem......it was scary just how much I missed it's being here. If it ever went again, I might have to take up smoking to fill the time.  %)

The boats looking good!  :-))

Cheers,
Robert.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »

Hi robert. No I'm the author of this thread. It's been going since early November 2011. The title is a little misleading as I started with a question trying to find a post I'd previously read about building a clinker hull. When I found it I was asked to continue with my build on this thread. It really needs to be in "Steam" and re-titled "Steam Launch Wear". I think more people will read it then. I'll wait until Martin recovers then ask him to move it and change the title. Thanks for the interest. Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »

Hi Martin, when your ready if you would move it to Steam and call it "Steam Launch Wear", I would be very grateful. Thanks for getting it all sorted. Your a star.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 22 queries.