Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear  (Read 114758 times)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
Re: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »

So SWMBO's part of the workshop is that which lies below ground, whilst yours is the part above ground? Sounds good to me.... :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2012, 04:44:56 pm »

So SWMBO's part of the workshop is that which lies below ground, whilst yours is the part above ground? Sounds good to me.... :-)) :-)) :-))
. Yup the underground bit is mine...   All mine mwahhahahaha. It's where the bodies of the disobedient model makers are buried.    Mrs C. SWMBO

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2012, 03:18:56 am »

Topic name changed.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2012, 08:10:26 am »

Thank you Martin.........10,303 [log on's] to this thread is big number  :-)) ...you should be proud of such stats on your WEB site
This also demonstrates the continued interest in the thread ....& all provided by our Mayhem WEB site........
Again thanks to Jerry C for creating this build & thread .........Derek O0

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2012, 09:51:52 am »

Thank you Martin from me also. I think that makes it all a lot clearer. To the chap that sent me some (to me) strange PMs, I apologise for my possibly short replies but I was unaware that Mermod's and my avatars had been changed and had no idea what you were talking about. It was only when I inadvertantly pressed "show new replies to your posts" that it all came to light. I do hope that the confusion has not had any detrimental effect on your future business venture and I wish you well in that. To Derek thank you for that comment, I am chuffed! I am also glad that my thread has been of interest and I hope of use to so many peeps but after all that is what I intended. Before I started I studied all I could possibly find on the subject on Mayhem and I should also thank Patternmaker, Ooyah2, Derek Warner down under Steamboat Phil, POMike, BernhardBB and many others for their help and encouragment throughout the build and subsequent sailings during Wears first year on the lake at Llanberis.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:38 am »

While all that stuff was going on I have continued with the refit. So far have removed and stipped down the boiler to its cladding. I gave it all a good wash and scrub, dried it and found the varnish in good order but stained in way of and below the flue by rusty water coming down from inside the outer funnel. This was made from a steel hoover hose extender and I never did anything about painting inside as it was only a stopgap until I sourced an aluminium one. This proved harder than I thought so am considering plastic bathroom waste pipe which is pretty close in size and, if I can find a piece with no writing on it, self coloured. So I cut back the remaining shine on the boiler cladding with fine wire wool, which also removes varnish from the brass banding giving a good keyed shine to it, and gave whole cladding a new coat of yacht varnish. Looks better than when new. I have only to paint end plates and flue stub with cream radiator paint and boiler will be boxed off. While varnish was drying I cleaned and polished all pipework and brass fittings with wire wool and painted valve bodies, wheel inners, elbows and sight glass and blowdown valve fittings with humbrol gloss maroony type gloss. I blew through the holes in the ceramic burner and noticed quite a few holes seni blocked so using the correct size drill bit in hand cleared all the holes and burner works well again. Next job is to remove engine and clean and repaint the plant bedplate which with all the mods since new is looking worse for Wear (get it?) Also intend to bed engine and pump/crankshaft outrigger bearing housing on thin film of silicone. This is to turn the holes in engine bedplate into little oil sumps to splash lubricate big ends and eccentrics. Anybody got any thoughts on that? Can't see it will do any harm. Will finally have to nake up new pipework foth the new, reduced capacity (and weight) oil seperator. Here goes with a pic, fingers crossed.
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2012, 12:54:03 pm »

Like your new Avatar Jerry?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »

Martin, re the new avatar, I'm not sure. What is it? It took me ages to work out how to get the Blue Ensign on. Have completely forgotten how to do it.
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2012, 01:22:36 pm »

Ah!:embarrassed: .... it should be the flag or Caernarfonshire!

Was this what you had before?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2012, 01:28:49 pm »

I understand now Martin. As I understand it Caernarfonshire doesn't exist as its now called Gwynedd. I'd prefer the Blue Ensign please.
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2012, 01:54:28 pm »

Ta da!

...... Gwynedd flag?!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2012, 01:58:23 pm »

Na. Too much like Royal Standard. Would keep thinking Her Maj here for tea. Shmbo would never stop cleaning.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »

Steam plant refurbished and oil separator reduced in size. I've just got one exhaust steam pipe to lag and a new outer funnel to make and she's ready for Coniston Regatta 2013. Some Pics.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

And some more cos site was acting up pics wise again.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2012, 10:43:11 am »

I finished the refit on the steam plant and gave it a run on the bench just to make sure everything was ok. Problem! The burner was going goodoh until the engine ran when it went out. Every time I started the engine the burner went out. What had changed?  The only thing was the exhaust pipe from separator to funnel. I had put a bend in it to direct steam UP the flue. Before it had gone in at In at 90 deg. I thought it would improve the draught through the boiler. It did but too much. By starting the motor slowly and observing the flame I could see it lift off the ceramic and disappear through the boiler. I cropped the pipe inside the flue so now at 90 deg and burner works fine again. So now only a few things to do inside the boat and on canopy and she'll be ready for CONISTON REGATTA.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:56 pm »

Sometimes I have bad ideas. Making an outer funnel out of plastic drainpipe was one of them. Half the weight of the tin version, no need to paint and only 5 minutes to make. Result, after 1 hour steam test, a lumpy banana! So back to metal, this time aluminium but at 12 gauge, only saved 35 grams. The brass cap I turned on the lathe and is an interference fit (mallet) in the casing. Finished off with 2 light coats Halfords #8 etch primer, 2 light coats cellulose white primer as undercoat and 2 coats aerosol white gloss radiator paint. When touch dry I cooked it off in the oven at 120 deg for 30 mins. Had no compatibility issues. The pics show brass spring clips hanging on inner flue. These grip and center the outer.
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2012, 02:44:52 pm »

Jerry,
Please excuse my quiet laughter, I did mean to warn you on your suggestion on using plastic pipe for the funnel but completely  forgot, not only does it bend on heating, once bent always bent.
Never mind the new painted one looks great.
George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

I wouldn't mind George but it doesn't even get too hot to hold!
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:18 pm »

Ok, I haven't been on here for yonks but as "thems that is keen gets fell in previous" I decided to give the steam plant a go and put the receiver back in and re program the Tx in preparation for Coniston Regatta. I didn't foresee any problems because I gave it a run just prior to layup. Steam raised to 60psi in 7 minutes, safety lifted ok, pressure maintained at 66 psi. So far so good, started the engine ok for a few minutes but then started running rough and finally stopped and couldn't be restarted. Something had definately occurred but what. Dug out the instructions and checked the timing. All seems in order, nothing loose or bent. Turns over very smoothly by hand without steam. In desperation emoved the front steam chest cover and found the problem straight away. On these engines the slide driver is, for want of a better expression, glued to the slide spindle. This adhesive had failed and the driver was just floating on the spindle and not moving the slide. So one cylinder was fighting the other. Mad panic as Coniston only 10 days away. Email to graham industries asking for new part. Removed the spindle, cleaned it, removed traces of adhesive from both pieces then silver soldered the driver onto the spindle 15mm from the far end. I got the position info from the intact rear spindle. Put it back together and it goes good on air. Will steam her tomorrow. Phew!!
Jerry.

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »

So glad that you described your problem my friends engine has just done the same thing. >>:-( >>:-( .
Thought that this was a hydro lock but on investigation turned out to be the valve rod.
Will be giving it a go over the next few days to sort out the problem.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:53 am »

I ran the plant on steam and found a small leak at the o ring where the spindle exits the valve chest on the top. I had no idea where to get such a tiny o ring from so decided to make a pair of blind covers instead of the open o ring retainer plate. I'd always wanted to do this anyway so an hour on the lathe and I made them. I used the original retainer as a guide to get the position of the screw holes in the cover flanges. Fitted the covers and raised steam again. Engine runs great on steam but found the leak wasn't from the o ring but was from the top edge of the cover plate which appeared to have bowed. Removed plate and checked if it was flat. It was slightly bowed so flattened it with little hammer on drill stand work plate, fitted original paper gasket with a smidgen of BMW Drei bond and replaced cover. When sealant has gone off I'll give it another go. Originally I built the engine without gaskets and just used Drei bond. When I replaced the cover I tried it metal to metal which wasn't a very bright thing to do. Has anyone else had the valve driver adhesive fail? At first sight the driver looks to be of a different material to the brass spindle, possibly gunmetal?
I think it should be ok now.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »

Ok peeps here's a good surprise. Got home this evening and in the mailbox an envelope with three brand new spindles from Graham Industries in USA. That's less than 4 days. Great service again for my little TVR1ABB.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »

Well we had a brilliant time at Coniston Regatta with fine weather though sometimes wind too strong to sail "Wear". Plenty of action with full scale steam launches ie., one with superheater leak, one with cylinder cover leak and one 1908 petrol engine with cack under a valve destroying compression. All probs resolved with corporate ingenuity. Best was an auxiliary sailing boat going astern leaving the jetty found his inflatable dinghy approaching at great knots and diving down to the propellor. Skipper donned waders and six hefty volunteers standing on the foredeck to lift the prop while skipper hacks awed through the resultant macramé. I steamed "Wear" in the evening calm but couldn't get any sense out of the sight glass. Subsequent investigation revealed glass too high in fittings and blocking the top vent. Fixed it and on the next evening had a good sail but feed pump kept picking up bits from the lake. It's nowhere near as clean as Llyn Padarn. Will fit a filter for next year. The Swallows And Amazons theme was great with a replica of the campsite on wildcat island and the film Swallows and Amazons Forever shown in the living room of the real Holly Howe. Never seen so many quiet, rapt children glued to the screen. It was programmed to be shown out doors but the farmer over reved the generator and fried the projector and sound system. "Gondola" stood in for Captain Flint's houseboat including a very loud cannon and lots of smoke. The wife filmed me running goose winged down the actual field run down by Roger in the film. I over did it and nearly had a stroke!
A good effort Greg (aka Gondolier88) well done and thankyou. Hope it builds for next year. All the steamers I spoke too enjoyed themselves. Pics and vids to follow.
Jerry.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2013, 10:13:39 pm »

Thanks for the write-up Jerry, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it, despite testing winds for almost the duration.

Now we just need more modellers next year......!

Thanks again for bringing Wear, and a privilege to have seen her in the flesh- anyone going near Llyn Padarn  must PM Jerry to see if he's there with Wear, must surely be in the top 20 model steam launches built in the last 10 years.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:26 am »

I've just found out that the Memsahib didn't take one picture of "Wear"! No video either. She's a treasure. She just needs burying. Here's what she did get:-
http://youtu.be/MwjATkuoKvE
And some S&A pics. I've just noticed that we can now post pics of 200KB size, after I'd resized everything down to <161KB
Jerry.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.