Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear  (Read 114781 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry's - Steam Launch - Wear
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:29 pm »

An update on the working life of "Wear". The last two trips to the lake she started having fuel issues. Short runs and poor flame. It turned out that the gas tank "Ronson" valve was venting well before the tank was full. The flame suggested a partially blocked jet which I was unable to clear. So an email to Mike at Maccsteam produced a new valve core and a new jet. I also bought the larger jet for experimental purposes. The hole is noticeably larger. Fitted smaller jet and the new core, fuelled up ok, flashed up and the roar is back. Will try it out on the lake tomorrow.
Ive been away for three weeks riding to the South of France on my Royal Enfield Bullet. Took in the Normandy beaches on the way back. She never missed a beat over nearly 2000 miles and returned 87.5 mpg. Surprisingly comfortable too. Much better than expected. On return to the UK went up to Wharfdale for a week in the caravan. Gorgeous area! 
Back to the grindstone working on the two "Bogstandard" engines on Monday.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: September 21, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »

Three 40 minute runs today. Heats up quicker and more heat available.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2014, 11:11:02 am »

I have just taken out a new house contents insurance policy to include cover for "Wear".  I've put a nominal value down for £5000 to cover bits and hardware etc. I know from reading about sales on here that they never return their value as we see it and how could one replace her but the insurance company want me to get her valued within 30 days.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to how, where or who could give me an authoritative valuation for replacement. The rep had no idea.
Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2014, 06:15:51 pm »

An auction house?  After all - https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15246/lot/584/ and http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-fine-radio-controlled-gas-powered-4097967-details.aspx?intObjectID=4097967 .  Not sure if they will give a figure without a sale in prospect, but worth a try.

Alternatively if you have a record or recollection of the hours you spent on the build, you could offer an estimate of the cost of a replacement if commissioned from a professional model maker/engineer.   A skilled professional might reasonably charge £40-50 an hour so you could get an estimate of the cost of their time.  Add raw material costs and that seems to me to be a reasonable sum for insurance purposes.  But what do I know?  :embarrassed:

Good luck Jerry, and let's hope this is an academic exercise and Wear has many years of happy steaming ahead of her.

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2016, 11:46:25 pm »

So, what happens now? Well, we are both retired now and so things have changed a lot.
We have bought a 57' narrowboat called Angelica. She was 2 years old when we got her and I have spent the last two years getting used to her and seeing that she is equipped for continuous cruising. We've kept her in a marina in Cheshire. We've worked hard getting our house ready for letting and downsizing to live on the boat. We now have a tenant and are living with our daughter in Canberra in sunny Oz until May 2017 when we return to the UK and the boat and start our cruise on the Leeds Liverpool canal system.
Steam Launch Wear is safely stowed aboard together with her support system and I hope to sail here in many places on the cut in our summer cruise.
I've brought my boiler, burner, engine and feed pump to Oz with a view to building a boat around the plant down here. I've made an introductory visit to the Tuggeranong Men's Shed here and after a few more visits hope to join the society.
If any Mayhemers are interested we run a blog on Facebook called "The Carts Down Under" and another called "Angelicas Adventures".
I'm copying this to "Jerry's Steam Launch Wear" thread as well. And will keep following Mayhem.

Jerry, (living the dream).

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:40 am »

Hi Jerry great to see you and family have made the trip best of luck and maybe can have a yarn *************

cheers
John

It is not advisable to put your telephone number on an open Forum.  Please use the forums' mail system.  :-)

ken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.