Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ferry Links  (Read 31265 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ferry Links
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:12 am »

Thats ferry nice. Love the BR logo too - happier days before I was privatised.

Fergusdaddy

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 12:03:22 pm »

Nice video. Those were the days of proper integrated travel. I quite fancy doing some of those Sealink ferries but there doesn't seem to be that much info about.

Sealink ferries of the late 60's to 80's are my favourite, along with the similar vintage Townsend ships

Best sites I have found are this
www.faktaomfartyg.se/
which is unfortunately in Swedish, but has photos of all ferries from every operator you could think of, and
www.sealink-holyhead.com/
Which has a great collection of photos of all sealink ships, including some fantastic fitting out pics of my personal favourite, the 1967 Antrim Princess

wartsilaone

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »

Hi Joe. First of all, welcome to Mayhem. I'm sure you'll find the forum very useful and informative.
It's good to hear from yet another ferry fan, at this rate we'll need our own category. Thanks for the links, something tells me you've been checking out the Irish ferries forum.
Let us know if you're building or planning something. We always like to see what's being produced.  And of coarse If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Ali.     

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 01:45:22 am »

• If we are having a rail ferry moment then here is one I am interested in  O0 - see details on the first image.

Regards Dave

wartsilaone

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »

I've never seen a ferry with OLE on it before. I would assume it's only energised when in port.

Ali.

wartsilaone

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »

Anyone know what the deal is with Seafrance?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 10:57:02 pm »

Hi Ali

Lol  :o - yes live on dock. This is the only image I have of that connection.
Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »

Ali, Carl, I have some pictures of a big old paddle train ferry The Solano, plus pictures of a cracking model, and maybe something about plans. Model images are 'property of' so I can't post them here. But I can dropbox the lot if wanted.  :P

wartsilaone

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 11:15:17 pm »

It would probably connect with the power lines automatically when it docks  like a bridge would. It must only be a short river or lake crossing.

Ali.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »

wartsilaone

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:16 pm »

They don't do things by half in the US do they.
Ali.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »

Not until they can build a bridge and then they are ruthless to the point of making the ferry crossing illegal.

Re crossing Ali - Solano and Ramon mentioned on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay

Dave

wartsilaone

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »

This might be the end for Seafrance then. As for their ships who knows. I'm sure P&O would love them, that would just about kill off any competition.

Ali.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:34 pm »

Most likely be DFDS who will step in - competition commission will not allow PO to trade alone on the Dover Calais route as there would be a monopoly. DFDS just have to up their bid from the current E5 million to secure the route. Of course our French friends in the Union want to run it themselves - but they don't have the money.
A right mess!!!!!
Carl (from mobile)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:25 pm »

I knew you wouldn't be far away Carl

Despite monopolies - if French administrators are anything like the ones over here then they will be gagging to strip and sell the assets - all that lovely cash commission.

Dave

wartsilaone

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 11:44:29 pm »

First the flag of convenience business At P&O and now this. The ferry industry as a whole must really be struggling at the moment.
Worrying times.

Ali.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »

Sorry guys - been out and about all evening, but following the posts on my strawberry gooseberry blackberry thing.....

Dave, that Solano looks very interesting.......there certainly are a huge number of subjects in the ferry field!!!! Obviously, any 'details' always gladly given a home  ok2 ok2

As for the ferry scene today, the problem has been overcapacity on the Dover Straits. This is evidenced by P&O only increasing their schedules by 3 return crossings per day with the European Seaway and an extra night crossing by the Pride of Burgundy. SeaFrance had some 20 return crossings per day scheduled................. There have been no build ups of traffic at Dover, nor has Operation Stack been introduced, since SeaFrance stopped operating. So the capacity available now seems to be sufficient.

As for SeaFrance, unless either the Unons or another investor (most likely DFDS with LDLines) comes up with something in the order of E30million, then they will go totally to the wall. They have until December 12th........... It has been stated by the administrators running SF that it is cheaper to keep the ships in port than to run them. All the staff (except for a trusted skelleton crew on the ships) have been sent home. The Unions, however, are not at all happy about this as they fear that SF are loosing customers.........this proves how much they are living in a dream world as, because of their actions, SF have been loosing customers for years - that is why they are in the mess they are in!!!!!!!

The administrators have also stated that whatever money is left in the pot will run out anyway by the middle of December, and they doubt they will have enough to pay the December salary run..................

I think we have seen the last of SeaFrance.......................3 ships are tied up in Calais, the fourth (Nord Pas de Calais) is stuck in Dover and is running out of food, water and fuel and they have just sent 2 ships to India for scrap - controversially!!!!

A sorry tale indeed........
Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:32 am »

Ahh yes I heard that they were trying to get those ships back from India. It makes you wonder who's been running this company recently. They've really let let themselves go.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 12:21:27 am »

Ships to India - bet there was some graft involved in that little deal.

'been out and about all evening' Carl you lucky So and So - I got flu and pnuemonia jabs and my head is banging, and your out on the Razz

Solano - post you a link tomorrow - lovely model

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »

Hi Guys

Threads gone quiet, so whilst surfing about I found an interesting site. :} (I was really looking for The Aragon 1959 - now a recofigured box for cars)
This is just one section for ferries  of a bigger site - there are lots of pics but so far I have only looked at British Railways Shipping.
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FerryCards.html
As I said lots to look at lads - but maybe you already know the site?.

Regards Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 12:22:26 am »

Cheers Dave - Yes, I have had this one bookmarked for a while now............but it may be of interest to others on here who were not aware  :-)) :-))

Here is another - with quite a few pictures of ex Dover Straits boats in new waters....

http://www.fotosdebarcos.org/viewforum.php?f=23

Spanish site - but none the worse for that!!!!
Carl

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:06 am »

Cheers Ali

I've been thinking about the original comment (somewhere).  I think (no, I'm convinced) there would be better traffic with a proper Ferry section. There's no shortage of variety or history, they are international, come in all sizes, and models are built. What more do you need to qualify for a stand alone section?

Dave

wartsilaone

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 01:30:53 am »

There is a UK ferries forum which I found only today. It's not used much though. But maybe worth a look
http://s9.zetaboards.com/ukfe/index/

Ali.

wartsilaone

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 01:52:24 am »

Hey Carl . Is the Eurovoyager  on photosdebarcos an ex Sealink ship? It looks familiar.

Ostend, That's where I've seen it.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:03 am »

Hey Carl . Is the Eurovoyager  on photosdebarcos an ex Sealink ship? It looks familiar.

Ostend, That's where I've seen it.

Hi Ali - yes she was first in Sealink colours as part of the consortium with Belgian Marine - she served the Dover/Ostend route.
When Belgian Marine fell out with the privatised Sealink, they fell into bed with Townsend Thoresen for a while and she carried a TT orange hull until BM was privatised to become Dover-Oostende Lines.

Here are a couple of 'Then & Now' shots - her 'jumboisation' has certainly NOT been a success from a visual point of view............
Carl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.