Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Gry Maritha .... my build  (Read 63256 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Gry Maritha .... my build
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »

I have finally started on the Model Slipway version of the the Scilly Isle's Ferry boat called the Gry Maritha.

At the moment, this ship is still in service between the Isle's so there is no excuse for getting the build parts in the wrong place.  :}

The kit is no longer in production and I had to look farther afield to get one that had been in storage for a while.  It costs more than the original but it did include a nice pair of motors.

Here are some pictures of the box and contents. No damage was found and all the parts seem to be there, alltough I have been assured by Model Slipway that they would be able to assit, should I need any. So here we go on boat number 20.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Gry Maritha .... my build
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »

The kit comes with a full installation manual  (I shall feel spoilt and pampered on this build !!)  and a box of parts numbering over a Thousand. (where's my glasses ?)

What a beautifully manufactured hull. No work needed here on smoothing and stuff like that so it was straight onto making a stand and drilling out the prop tube holes and rudder locations. The plastic card has allready been 'Lazered' with the cut out shapes so all that is need is to push them though. They didn't have this in my day, so this will save around three weeks of measuring and knifing out.

Might have her finished for Christmas at this rate.   %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »

Here's a view of the home made stand and the prop tubes in location and all glued down .

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »

This vessel has a sliding hatch cover for large loads and my aim is to make it electric and remote controlled  (what could possibly go wrong ?)

It's taken me all day to assemble, but now it's built I'm not sure with the stresses involved. Might have to beef her up a bit for fitting the gear drive system.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »

The deck is a flush fitting type and the hatches were fitted while it was still loose.  I have beefed up the underside to take heavier loads  (lorries maybe !)  but not secured it down yet. 

There's still work inside to be done and I don't want to be working through hatch covers.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »

While I had the camera out, I plonked the new cover on the hatch to get a feel for the look.  She is going to look a smasher when it's done so I'm quite pleased with the progress.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

You may have noticed the Portholes  (large vents?)  have ben cut out.

Let me let you into a secret.   This week at  ALDI  stores they have a set of sideways cutting drills in 5 diameter sizes.  The smallest size is just the job for cutting fibreglass holes and squares.

Wear a mask as it's a filthy job and dangerous to the lungs but,  Wow,  it does the job in seconds.  It fits my dremmel so it goes at high speed which has the effect of sanding the material rather than vibrationary cutting.  You only need to drill the starting hole and then drag it around the desired area.

ken

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 03:00:44 pm »

You're not messing about Kenny, looking great. I wouldn't mind doing one of these, it's a shame Model Slipway are no longer doing the kit. I'm guessing this was the one on ebay a few months ago, they're few and far between these days. Keep up the good work, Dave.  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:23 pm »

Thank you Dave.  You are correct as it was the one on Ebay. Had to go mad with the bidding in the end just to get it, but I'm a happy bunny. :}

No work done today as I was called out from retirement to mend an Hammond Organ.  Not many of us left now and the money will help towards my extravgant hobby style.  %)

cheers

ken

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:04:45 pm »

It's coming along very nicely, Ken, and well up to your usual high standard O0

I wish you lived closer to us as we have a small Hammond organ that no longer works, and it's proving very difficult to find anyone who can fix it.

Peter.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the compliments. I never stop working !!!  if it's not one machine then it's another.

Pm me with the details of your instrument and faults as you see them, and I see if it's worth a flight over.  :}

ken

icebreaker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

iv allways liked this model its ashame they dont make it anymore your build looks great please post more pics as you go

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:28:50 pm »

Thank you Icebreaker. Done a bit more today but it was dark when she called me in for tea.

I'm working on the sliding hatch covers. Lots of working pieces to join up. Thank goodness I don't have to scratch build it.   %)

ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:29 pm »

Hullo Ken........in real marine life many deck hatch covers were opened by a device called a Gotaverken hinge [hydraulic linear x rotary motion actuator]..........the link below may tell you about them but provides little insight

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gotaverken%20hinge&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpatent.ipexl.com%2FGB%2FGB1091069.html&ei=txbITsaQGaepiAeSgunsDw&usg=AFQjCNFt1cItM0A-k1n0IL0taqZM12Qeew&sig2=JArjXOQ-zXXOMl2g6mCfMg

Certainly such a model of could be produced with a linear servo.....but the scale is daunting  >>:-( ....other means of opening & closing deck hatches are chains & sprockets....but in real life  <:( even with rollers & guides...unless the motion is applied evenly on both sides of the hatch invariably they want to CRAB & sieze up  O0

I will watch with interest to see how you ovecome this challange ..... :-)) Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »

Hi Ken

Yep, I was looking at it on ebay too. A couple of the shots here might interest you http://offiler.demon.co.uk/gallery/index.php/Gry_Maritha  :}
Can't wait to see this build progress

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

:o ...just thinking Ken...there is one simple possability  {-)

From left to right the fixed hinge point>>>>>the hatch combing>>> the hatch pivot point>>>the hatch rollers...tied down to an arm where the rotating shaft is locked

The rotating shaft is a length of threaded bar 8BA....????

The reversable drive is an old servo with the limit stops removed  :D ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »

Derek.  I thought as much whilst staring at it during a coffee break.   8)

The hatches would have to open each time we need to look inside for normal boat running duties. Quite easy to catch one's wrist on the upturned hatches and maybe do some damage as they are plastic. When its assembled I might consider re-doing them in stronger material.

ps  There are two sets of hatches which touch in the middle. The initial thrust is directly upwards in the join of each two before they can draw outwards to slide sideways. I can see this running and running as we experiment with the movement.

I shall have a go at motorising them later. At the moment, everything is being dry cut and fitted before paint and glue. Only 926 more parts to fit !!

Dave.  Thank you for the picture gallery. Every picture helps when building something. I like to collect as much info as I can.  It's amazing how much detail one needs to make a proper job of it. O0

ken

extra words added

pugwash

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 09:46:13 pm »

Kenny I remember someone did this build shortly after I joined the Forum and I thought it a very nice model then.
You really seem to be doing it justice.  Keep the posts coming in.

Geoff

awvs

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 09:51:57 pm »

Hi Ken,
I open the two hatches and the side hatch on my Gry Maritha with one servo per hatch and a servo slow down. Works excellent.

Regards
Wilhelm

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:39 pm »

So do I, Pugwash.   ;)     It was reported here many years ago and there is a YouTube film of his build so far but it seems to have never been completed.  It was started by my friend 'Wombat' and he did the side loading hatchway with motorised ramps and computer chips.

I hope to emulate him in the gadget department. There's plenty of room inside this boat for working parts etc, so I'll give it a try.

We haven't discussed the crane yet .......  ooh er    %)  See if we can get help from the French builders.   8)

Thanks for the info Wilhem and welcome indeed to another builder. I should be very interested indeed to see your build.  How may I ?

ken

awvs

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »

Hi Ken,
here is the link to my Gry Maritha in this forum:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25645.0

Good luck with yours. The Gry is one of the finest models. I just ordered a Yorkshireman here in Canada.

Best
Wilhelm

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »

Hi Wilhelm.

Yes I saw this and it encouraged me to start mine. I don't expect to reach your level but I'm going to give it a good try. It is truly smashing. Well done on your build.   :-))        I refer to your pictures many times.

If you see me going wrong, please let me know early enough so that I can get back on track.

ken

awvs

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 10:28:30 pm »

Thanks for the compliment Ken, I learned a lot from your postings here on model boat mayhem.

One things comes to mind right away. Make sure you can not turn the crane when the hatch is open, otherwise it will cause some damage  on the model. I solved the problem with a couple of microswitches.

Best
Wilhelm 

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

ooh !!  could be nasty   :o    Thanks for that.

cheers

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

Onwards with the build .....

The last few days have been spent making little boxes of all sorts of shapes. These are the fuel tanks for the deck and various containers.

The cabin and the wheelhouse were then glued together and now await undercoat and fixing down.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.